Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holiday Fire, Goleta CA 7-6-2018

About five miles from my palatial estates....
Started at 8:40PM last night..........
Burned down 20 structures (homes mostly)........
60 acres........

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
That stuff is past serious. Hope the best for you. Mother Nature can be amazing and terrifying at the same time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
There are no fires here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. But if you had a brick house, with a metal roof, wouldn't your house be pretty safe?

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
If your roof frame is timber it will still burn. Litter in gutters catches fire due to flying embers. Your roof timbers next followed by the highly flammable house contents. Radiant heat from very intense fires can also ignite roof timbers and house contents.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There are no fires here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. But if you had a brick house, with a metal roof, wouldn't your house be pretty safe?
Brick house and metal roof is pretty much unheard of here but
it would stand up better to the onslaught albeit it would turn into an oven inside.

The temperatures at early PM were in the high 90's.
By 11 PM. it was 107.
Many of the fires in this area are wind driven and turn into
raging blast furnaces. The total acreage was only 100 and 20 houses burned!
We got done with the Thomas fire (281,893 acres, 1,063 structures destroyed)
earlier this year. That thing ended about 8 miles from my house but started
45 miles away!

The crews are watering down embers right now and Edison is repairing high voltage transmission
lines and local feeds running through the affected areas.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No but the fire didn't help at all in the limited zone it occupied.
It was FUCK hot there. The temperature rose because of the mass of air being compressed
as the sundowners swept straight south from the tops of the mountains in the
immediate background. As it is swept down the mountain, temperature rises about
5 degrees for every 1000 ft in elevation the wind descends.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Seems like every damn year.

I watched a documentary about how once the fire reaches a certain point, it draws air in and lifts air up (because of the heat) and draws colder air into the bottom of the fire, which causes the fire to grow even faster because it's now feeding itself.

Then you add in dry fuel and winds and you've got a real tinder box.

I'm in NorCal and we've got our share up here as well. IIRC, it was just last year when pretty much lost a city and a whole bunch of the foothills.

We did just get a 747 tanker and it can be across CA in hours... This is what we need, buy up a bunch of those old 747s and make them fire tankers.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've had the DC-10 fighting fires here on a regular basis. Good GOD they are impressive! I can't imagine seeing the 747 doing it's duty!
I know about the fire near Lake Berryessa. Pretty big. I got to say, we don't have a whole hell of a lot left to burn on the Pacific side of
the Santa Ynez Mountain Ranger here anymore. Sure doesn't mean that we are free from another fire coming in and taking what we
have left, though.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
We've had the DC-10 fighting fires here on a regular basis. Good GOD they are impressive! I can't imagine seeing the 747 doing it's duty!
I know about the fire near Lake Berryessa. Pretty big. I got to say, we don't have a whole hell of a lot left to burn on the Pacific side of
the Santa Ynez Mountain Ranger here anymore. Sure doesn't mean that we are free from another fire coming in and taking what we
have left, though.
I grew up in Tahoe, a few years back they had a big fire there and there was a lot of talk about the rules they have up there.

It's very hard to do anything in Tahoe, permits, cutting trees, etc... The claim is that this helped feed the fire. All the fuel and nobody can do anything about it because of the laws.

So I guess the upside is that after the fire you don't have the fuel sitting around.

That reminds me of the "controlled burn" that got out of control a few years back. They actually go out and burn off the fuel and sometimes it gets out of control.

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Here in Australia the Fire service, Parks and Wildlife, and Forestry try to maintain a patchwork landscape. This is where the land is broken up by various aged burns. That way you don't get a large area of unburnt ground covered in continuous fuel. Controlled burns are carried out during winter and autumn.
That's the theory anyway. The reality is modern day do gooders, greenies and the fact that people want to build in the "bush" means that a lot of controlled burn plans remain just that, a plan. Insurance for these controlled burns is an issue as well as man power. Smoke over urban areas is also a problem. Rapid expansion of urban areas only compounds the issue.
I'm afraid the only real answer is very good insurance cover for your house and contents. Also some modern sprinkler systems have proven their worth.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Here in Australia the Fire service, Parks and Wildlife, and Forestry try to maintain a patchwork landscape. This is where the land is broken up by various aged burns. That way you don't get a large area of unburnt ground covered in continuous fuel. Controlled burns are carried out during winter and autumn.
That's the theory anyway. The reality is modern day do gooders, greenies and the fact that people want to build in the "bush" means that a lot of controlled burn plans remain just that, a plan. Insurance for these controlled burns is an issue as well as man power. Smoke over urban areas is also a problem. Rapid expansion of urban areas only compounds the issue.
I'm afraid the only real answer is very good insurance cover for your house and contents. Also some modern sprinkler systems have proven their worth.
You would think they would just plow things down and use the fuel for energy. You used to be able to cut down a certain number of trees. They passed laws on that because of the pollution, then we have all these wild fires that cause all this pollution, so you don't really win.

You can clean burn wood and get gas to run engines from it.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People here build their homes directly in the midst of chaparral. It is some of the hottest burning fuel known to man.
I think it's a certain arrogance that leads these folks to spend all that cash to reside in the middle of seasonal blow torches
with an attitude of I'm so great nothing could ever happen to me. Well, Nature happens to everyone and she can be a real
pip sometimes. Where I am, we have an ace in the hole that good old Mother Nature doesn't know. You see, we are all
aware that these fires can only burn right down to the Pacific Ocean and can't go any further! Hah!

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
It just seems half the world is on fire these days. Greece, California the latest infernos and more happening all over. I feel for those involved. I live in a country that burns too easily and have a fear of bushfires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts