Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yep, different than anything I have owned before. It is not the cookie cutter Japanese twin, nor the over priced American twin. It is low on power, but that is not much of a concern. It is comfy, reliable, and gets good fuel mileage.

However, i have vowed to never make payments on a bike again, so I need to sell the Street RC to buy it. It will be sad, but I have caught myself doing stupid things that should not be done on the street. Most notably, speeding on a back road. When i slow down, it is not fun anymore.

I rode a buddies Standard Bonnie to my parents, (60 miles of backroad each way) and loved it. I was going much slower and the fun factor was still there.

Other than spoked wheels (bitch to clean) I am really leaning torward this move.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Nice looking and definately not "cookie cutter." What model is that?

I was dissapointed last week, Triumph was absent from the International Motorcycle show.

No biggie on the spokes, hell; many years ago that's all we had.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the Bonneville America. It is nothing more than a Boneville with some American styling cues.

The Speedmaster was the other bike I am looking at. But I would need to replace the seat and handle bars to make it as comfy as the America. The advantage to the Speedmaster is an additional 100CC for a little more power. And no spokes. TOo bad it does not come in silver.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
You mentioned that you were searching, did you give any though about getting a naked bike instead of a cruiser?

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did. i had a Bandit for 5 years while I cycled sportbikes in and out of my garage. I liked it fine, but I even fould myself sliding it into corners.

The SV would be a good bike, until I would eventually do suspension and brakes. Then i would have the same problem. Just lack power out of corners. Since I have been spending time at the triumph dealer, the SPeed triple appeals to me, but same problem.

I have really tried to focus on Comfort and the ability to make a long haul w/o killing my bank or insurance.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Have you give the Honda VT750 Spirit a thought? while it is a Japanese bike, it does look like the Sporster from H-D sans the complications ;) and there's lots of goodies to make it a little bling-o-licious if the heart desires and I am sure it will be cheaper than the T and lesn expensive to maintain.

Not trying to stir you towards the Jap V-Twin but giving you another idea I guess. Altough, the T looks the biz.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bonnie is not too expensive. Sure it is more expensive than the japanese, but not too bad. Retail is $7800 or so. Being friends with the owner will help out some, but who knows how much.

My one fear with the Shadow is getting the 750 and then thinking I should have gotten the 1100, then thinking I should have gotten the 1300... It is vicious. ;)

The nice thing about the bonnie is that there are not too many of them. We have one Triumph dealer in the area and he has been the one taking care of me for all my track day crap, so paying a few hundred more for a T over the Honda is well worth it.

The only Japanese bike that has gotten me to really consider it is the Yamaha Warrior. But the price tag quickly discourages me.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or then again, maybe I should stop Dicking around and buy what i really want.....

But I know I would have to finance it. And I do not want to do that.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
What size is the T? I kow for a fact that both the VT750's will do circles around the 1100's but I see your point with the local T dealer. Sometimes, the problem is not with the dealer but with the Mfr that can't get the parts fast enough for the dealers but I haven't heard any bad things about T.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha! I am sure. I think this time it is about cruising. I will have the RC for the track, and if I get desparate, I saw someone made SV650 headlight brackets for the RC, incase I need to street it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Get the Triumph with the upswept pipes, it's a true classic, in the Tiger Scrambler tradition, as I recall Steve McQueen rode that vintage years ago. Or how about the new Ducati SportsClassic 1000 or Paul Smart version, beautiful with the alloy wheels and spokes and weigh less than a standard 999. Or pick up a copy of Walneck's Classic bike mag, and buy and refurbish the real thing.
'06 Bikes of interest ZX14,R6,675,DuckSportClassics,(Gix750 ok built in bias) other than that wait for the next round of litre bikes in '07/'08, the Duck Hypermotard or the rumoured Honda V5 which appears to be vaporware at this point in time.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Thruxton is a good bike to play on. But it is lacking in the realm of comfort. The Scrambler is too expensive for what it is.

The new duc is hot, but not an option. The only deler is a crook. An outrite thief. Any dealer that constantly goes to court because customers are sueing them for charging for work that never happened. The next dealer is over 130 miles away.

As for the rest, if I want a sport bike the RC is plenty capable.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
This is still a japanese bike. But, cheap, decent and reliable cruiser-type. V-Star 750. Looks big, not very powerful. Can pick up new or a slightly used for near nothing. Or, V-Strom.

·
Living the dream
1,246 Posts
I like it. Something different and I don't blame you. Angela and I are considering dirt bikes. I grew up riding dirt and miss the fun you can have out there. Tends to cure the cravings to do silly things on 2 wheels also.

I like the look of the T plus it is not like every bike out there like you said. If it is that comfy ride it up to see us so I can find out!;)

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
May have to do that. One other bike is in the mix, so I am curious what will sway me.

THe other ride is a Warrior 1700. My buddy has one with 3500 miles. He told me he would sell it for $7500. Very tempting.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, my buddy found out I was in the cruiser market and offered me this....

He is asking about the same as the Triumph with 3500 miles on the clock....

So tempting.

I went to the Triumph dealer today. I like the looks and ergos of the Bonnie America, but I like the engine and brakes more of the Speedmaster....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts