Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Right off the bat, from what i've read on other threads, people like asking for riding experience. I'm a daily commuter and have ridden 20k (ish) miles in the past 3 years. 90% of those were on 4 cyl 250cc bikes, 5% on a GS500. I recently bought a 2006 919 and have put 2k miles on it since. It's sitting at 30k miles atm. Recently had full service.

You know the clunk you get when you go fom neutral into first? That happens between every gear whenever I upshift, no matter how quick I am on the clutch. Only time it doesn't do it is when I don't use the clutch. Above 4k RPM it's quite brutal, I can feel it through the seat. Anything to worry about? From what i've read on forums people say 'ahh, you're just bad', 'big bike, it's normal' etc.

Also, the idle isn't perfectly smooth. A little bit erratic, maybe 100rpm fluctuations or so, even when hot. Idle is 1200rpm. Doesn't happen when i pull the 'choke' out. Normal? This is my first EFI bike.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
770 Posts
are you letting the rpms drop for too long between shifts? I bet if you held the clutch even longer between up shifts, it would get even louder.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you letting the rpms drop for too long between shifts? I bet if you held the clutch even longer between up shifts, it would get even louder.

No. Like I said, the speed of my shift makes no difference. The only thing that does is if i clutch in or not. Clutch in = clunk, no clutch = no clunk.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's odd. Maybe a video would help. Can't say I've ever heard of this before

·
McTavish
6,443 Posts
Hi all,

Right off the bat, from what i've read on other threads, people like asking for riding experience. I'm a daily commuter and have ridden 20k (ish) miles in the past 3 years. 90% of those were on 4 cyl 250cc bikes, 5% on a GS500. I recently bought a 2006 919 and have put 2k miles on it since. It's sitting at 30k miles atm. Recently had full service.

You know the clunk you get when you go fom neutral into first? That happens between every gear whenever I upshift, no matter how quick I am on the clutch. Only time it doesn't do it is when I don't use the clutch. Above 4k RPM it's quite brutal, I can feel it through the seat. Anything to worry about? From what i've read on forums people say 'ahh, you're just bad', 'big bike, it's normal' etc.

Also, the idle isn't perfectly smooth. A little bit erratic, maybe 100rpm fluctuations or so, even when hot. Idle is 1200rpm. Doesn't happen when i pull the 'choke' out. Normal? This is my first EFI bike.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle
Re The Clunk
Is it a pure clunk, or do you also get some jerk?

Re The Idle
The factory mapping is terrible but for some reason, not all the 919s are commonly afflicted.
Some fluctuation at idle is normal.
Are you getting + & - a 100 revs, or 50 ?
50 is OK, but 100 sounds excessive.
When one pulls the "choke", it actually opens an unfueled secondary air bleed to increase the cold idle speed.
When you pull it on your hot engine, what happens to the idle speed? It should go up.

·
Left of Centre
3,970 Posts
...the idle isn't perfectly smooth. A little bit erratic, maybe 100rpm fluctuations or so, even when hot. Idle is 1200rpm. Doesn't happen when i pull the 'choke' out. Normal? This is my first EFI bike.
My idle was a bit all over the place before I synched the starter valves, which smoothed the whole thing out. If it hasn't been done recently, it's something to consider.

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey. Sorry for not replying to this;

I disassembled the clutch and cleaned the friction plates. Problem solved! They were a bit sticky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts