Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
John
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen any posts regarding high-mileage 919's for a while .... As I approach 91919 miles on my 2005 919, I wonder what's going to wear out and make this bike not worth fixing some day?

Anyone else approaching 100k? I'm curious to hear some thoughts on what's going to be the reason to retire this bike. This bike has been remarkably low maintenance for the 10 years I've had it, and seems as fast and powerful as ever.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
I'm only about halfway there. What have you had to do in 10 years besides tires, brakes, oil changes, valve check, coolant flush, chains, sprockets that wasn't the result of a crash? My valve check at 42k was a waste of time, but gave me peace of mind.

·
Left of Centre
3,946 Posts
Haven't seen any posts regarding high-mileage 919's for a while .... As I approach 91919 miles on my 2005 919, I wonder what's going to wear out and make this bike not worth fixing some day?

Anyone else approaching 100k? I'm curious to hear some thoughts on what's going to be the reason to retire this bike. This bike has been remarkably low maintenance for the 10 years I've had it, and seems as fast and powerful as ever.
MarylandMike is well into 6 figures, I think.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,696 Posts
"As I approach 91919 miles "

Clever.........🙃

·
John
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only about halfway there. What have you had to do in 10 years besides tires, brakes, oil changes, valve check, coolant flush, chains, sprockets that wasn't the result of a crash? My valve check at 42k was a waste of time, but gave me peace of mind.
Just one valve check (no adjustment needed), one set of plug and rear bearings. I'm pretty sure that the front wheel bearings are original. I also did fork seals/oil at about 60k/12years ... seemed like a prudent thing to do. But that's it .... what a wonderfully reliable bike.

I did the 520 17/44 change a few years ago and I'm about to replace the front sprocket for the 2nd time. Either that metal is a bit soft or the splines on my countershaft are showing some wear. After 8-10k miles, I get a lot of noise from it due to a loose fit and begin to worry if I'm getting close to stripping it.

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
MarylandMike is well into 6 figures, I think.
Yep, coming up on 125K and she still runs great. Had to adjust maybe two valve clearances along the way and that was all under 50K miles. Couple of sets of rear bearings and one set of front bearings. I really can't point to anything that is indicating an end to the fun, but maybe it will be catastrophic failure of an engine component or something. Have to say that I still love riding it. Here is a thread with some pics when I crossed 100K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was that your first valve check at 42k? Do you beat on it lol? Mines got 12,2xx and i was thinking about it because since i got it I've basically been beating on it.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
2nd valve check (I go through bikes when I buy them). I'm not kind with the throttle, but do regular maintenance.

·
John
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found out a few days ago that my clutch cable is only good for ~91700 miles ... gonna be another week or two to get to the magic number on my odometer.

·
Not so Rookie Anymore
414 Posts
Pushing 84K on my 2006 - 9er. Reliable and fun. Lots of tire replacements/sprockets and chains. One set of brake pads all around and a speedo pick-up that just gave up the ghost at around 45K. Clutch cable replaced about 15K ago and rear bearing at about 50K. No valve adjustments or plugs replaced - but probably need to get that done. Just hate to have the down time on the bike - and I don't have the tools or set up to do it myself. So - the bike just has to keep going the way she is! And she doesn't complain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts