Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been interested in the 919 for some time now. I have been looking for a bike that I can just get on and a ride, without heavy maintenance.

I have been looking around for some information on rebuilds and breakdowns and I haven't found much so I though I would ask. I have been working with dirt bikes lately and these need serious work all the time.

So to the question: how often do these bikes need serious work? Top end rebuild at 50k? Bottom end at 85k? I'm not afraid of doing the work myself, just not sure what to expect when I'm looking. I understand that this is an open ended question and will be different for each bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
i heard talk of a guy with a cbr 900 (same engine basics) who had (supposedly) put 300k miles on his bike. point is... this engine is very very durable and i highly doubt that you would need a top end kit by 50k i think i maintained you could easily double/triple that milage without worry. there is no set time frame when an engine might have problems but i think generally if you had a 919 engine with high millage and you had an engine failure most people would recommend an engine swap rather than a rebuild. correct me guys if im wrong

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
I have 25000 miles on mine with no engine work. Or any other major work. Tires, brake pads, oil, chains...just keep it full of fuel and go.

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
We already had a thread on this. Basically, the 919s don't break anything other than having the occasional fuel pressure regulator fail. It's cheap and easy to replace.

Here is the prior thread:

http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f94/30-000-miles-club-27168.html

As I said in that thread, based on prior experience with street Hondas, I expect to get 100-150,000 miles without a major engine issue at a minimum. Basically, you just perform scheduled/normal maintenance and keep going. It's a Honda street bike, not a Harley.

Supplemental discussion thread: http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f322/919-motor-life-expectancy-27224.html

·
Super Moderator
11,241 Posts
I am about ready to hit 52K miles and have only had a couple of issues:

1) Rear Brake light switch- replaced with hydraulic switch ~$20
2) Rear wheel bearing at 37K miles- ~$40 to replace all the rear bearings.

No engine issues whatsoever, and to me it runs as good as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. Most issues you read about here are fairly simple issues to repair.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :lurker-eating-popco

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is 8 years old, has 21k miles and lives outside, exposed to the elements, and is ridden year round, as a commuter, and sees the track once and a while. Oil, coolant and tires are the only things that have ever been serviced (oops, forgot that I upgraded the chain and cogs at 15k, old ones probably had a little life left in them...) It's my understanding that they should commonly give 100k easy with no major engine work, and very little minor work at that...

If low cost, and reliability and simple "throw your leg over it and go" are among your priorities, then I think the 919 might be exactly the bike you are looking for. If a state of the art frame, suspension and 130+ hp are important to you, then you'll likely be dissatisfied. It could be said the 919 is a jack of all trades, master of none.

·
CB900
625 Posts
'07 here. 85,000 kilometers on my Hornet. Only issues have been the headlight/starter switch wire, now bypassed, rear brake light switch full of gunk due to a bad waterproof seal, 3 chains and still on original sprockets which will get swapped out next chain, left side passenger peg bent from pillions getting on the bike. She's going in for valve clearances this week, they've been fine so far. I ride her every day of the year to work, rain hail or shine, -3 degrees C to +45 degrees C.
Bulletproof.

·
Crotchety Rocket
1,426 Posts
20,000 miles on mine over 5 years, majority of the miles put on in the last two years. No major maintenance here...oil and chain. I have a slightly overdue valve inspection that I need to do, but it runs just as good as the day I got it. I've done everything from hitting the back roads hard to thousand plus mile tours...I haven't tracked it yet, but I hope to. It does it all, and does it all pretty well. Like the others said. if you're looking for a hop on and ride bike, hard to go wrong with the niner.

·
Le So Cal Troll
5,766 Posts
i predict 150k at a minimum before any issues becides the standard FPR which isnt really related to the motor.

Honestly with regular oil changes i doubt ill have issues into the 200+k mi range... that is if the rest of the bike lasts that long (ie no catostrophic crash) ... the rest of the parts... IE chain and wheel bearings are IMO common maintenance items

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's what I wanted to hear :)

Its a big difference to the every 15k top end result builds on the older thumpers. As for the "its a Honda",you don't have to sell me on the brand. I drank the koolaid a while back.
thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
We already had a thread on this. Basically, the 919s don't break anything other than having the occasional fuel pressure regulator fail. It's cheap and easy to replace.

Here is the prior thread:

30,000+ Miles Club

As I said in that thread, based on prior experience with street Hondas, I expect to get 100-150,000 miles without a major engine issue at a minimum. Basically, you just perform scheduled/normal maintenance and keep going. It's a Honda street bike, not a Harley.

Supplemental discussion thread: 919 motor life expectancy?
Can you recommend a good maintenance manual that a possible slightly brain damaged person can use? Lol not really damaged but have problems with reading and retaining info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
68000 miles, no engine issues yet, valves ok, i just changed valve cover gasket when inspecting them (50k). Oil changed every 10k. 100k should not a big deal for this bike. More I ride it more I like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts