Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
McTavish
6,345 Posts
I think I feel this sluggishness too after putting on an ohlins unit. A little more reluctant to turn.
The sluggishness is no surprise given what you are working with.
I am pretty sure you have excessive stagger that has significantly altered the front end geometry by making the front much higher than the rear in relative terms.
The rear spring on your Ohlins is quite soft, almost 200 # / inch lighter than stock. Combine that with the terrible stiction of the stock shock, and your nice smooth Ohlins unit with lighter spring will have the rear ride height lower than before.
At the front, the 1.0 springs are very stiff and will have raised up the front.
You could easily have 7 - 10 mm of stagger (e.g front up 5 rear down 3 = mm stagger).
Your 0.925s will help, and suggested is 15 mm of internal preload and not any more. Later you could even try 10.
Suggested is setting up your Free Sag at 5 mm and then just measure the Rider Sag so you know what it is. Less than 5 mm of free sag is inadequate, and while more is nice, it will lower the rear ride height. If one wants to be able to get 10 mm of free sag, and a decent rear ride height, a 1100 -1200 #/inch spring is needed as well as a length adjustable shock.

·
Super Moderator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
Just had a 919 shock apart and snapped a couple pics of the first part of the refresh and then the finished product. Not enough time to get the whole process documented plus I have to stop to wipe the oil off my hands every time I pic up the phone to snap a pic....

Attachments

·
just send it.
1,600 Posts
...plus I have to stop to wipe the oil off my hands every time I pic up the phone to snap a pic....
Uugh... shouldn't you have wiped the lube... err... oil off your phone before you started pulling the shock apart?

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Very cool! I totally forgot to give you a heads up, I apologize. Been a beyond crazy week. But glad you already knew who it was for and who from.

Any issues with shipping? Pm me if there's any major rebuild concerns that require additional cost on top of the usual and I'll work it out with you and the buyer.

Thank you for posting the pictures!

·
Super Moderator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Nope, was a little dirty on the inside, but nothing I haven't seen before. Pretty much a textbook refresh.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Awesome. I can't believe you're already done with it. I assume it'll be with it's new owner by saturday?

He's going to be very happy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks dudes [MENTION=3519]Pvster[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81]LDH[/MENTION] can't wait to get it on the 9er. The gold will look very nice with the blue :D I'll post pics after it's on.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
another one, resetting and setting the recommended settings for rebound/compression was easy, but how can I determine how to set the correct pre-load if I don't have the value of the free spring length ?

Currently it seems the preload setting is set to max (can't turn knob clockwise anymore).

·
Super Moderator
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
My brother all you had to do was install the shock, set the sag to roughly 30mm and go ride. Everything else was already done for you.

221 - 240 of 251 Posts