Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot more to come on this thread as we are documenting and entire shock rebuild as well as fork rework, but I figured some of you might be interested to see the actual rate of the OEM 919 fork spring.

In truth the spring is not as non-linear as this graph would make it appear. The lightness of the spring combined with the length of it causes it to move a little more than we would like it to and of course the massive sensitivity level of the spring rater we use feels everything. Splitting the difference it would appear the rate of the OEM springs is somewhere around 7.3Nm

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
shock rebuild...of the stocker?

·
McTavish
6,259 Posts
There is a lot more to come on this thread as we are documenting and entire shock rebuild as well as fork rework, but I figured some of you might be interested to see the actual rate of the OEM 919 fork spring.

In truth the spring is not as non-linear as this graph would make it appear. The lightness of the spring combined with the length of it causes it to move a little more than we would like it to and of course the massive sensitivity level of the spring rater we use feels everything. Splitting the difference it would appear the rate of the OEM springs is somewhere around 7.3Nm

LDH,

Thank you very very much for the test and the posting of the results.
For those not aware, N/mm X .102 - kg/mm.
So these puppies are coming in at around 0.745 kg/mm equivalent.
I'm curious as to how you rig up for such a test ?
Got time for a brief description ?
Again, big thanks !
This is first quantitative 919 OEM stock spring testing I have ever come across or heard of.

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually what NOBODY seems to get about Honda motorcycles (and others) is the simplest concept to grasp... The rear is oversprung to carry 2 people and if you have that much weight on the back of the bike then the front is going to be very light under normal cruise conditions. It really is that basic guys. I have never been able to fathom all the people that post on these forums saying the bikes is made for this weight rider or that weight rider. It's designed to carry the max load rating of the bike period.

·
McTavish
6,259 Posts
Actually what NOBODY seems to get about Honda motorcycles (and others) is the simplest concept to grasp... The rear is oversprung to carry 2 people and if you have that much weight on the back of the bike then the front is going to be very light under normal cruise conditions. It really is that basic guys. I have never been able to fathom all the people that post on these forums saying the bikes is made for this weight rider or that weight rider. It's designed to carry the max load rating of the bike period.
Note how they started with 2 up springing at the back, then later went to more or less solo springing at the back, and always had a front mush setup.
Classic old school UJM setups for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won't beleaguer the fact they made the rear shock softer on later models, but what I can again tell you that few people ever mention is that the 2002 model riding solo, with less preload dialed into the shock ramp adjustment, in a true aggressive style (I.E my foot pegs are being ground off) is much more responsive and willing to be ridden hard with less protest than the later models regardless of the preload setting. It just works better for sportier riding at the expense of comfort.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am very interested. I am willing to pay to get a new shock and upgraded forks, but not until I'm convinced that it's worth it. I'm 175 lbs and ride with a 100 lb passenger about 70% of the time. My '07 is my primary transport and my girlfriend rides with me a lot. I have the shock and forks adjusted to one click/line firmer than "standard" as shown in the manual. The bike is not difficult or uncomfortable to ride. What am I missing? A grand for a shock and another grand for upgraded forks is a lot of coin.

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am very interested. I am willing to pay to get a new shock and upgraded forks, but not until I'm convinced that it's worth it. I'm 175 lbs and ride with a 100 lb passenger about 70% of the time. My '07 is my primary transport and my girlfriend rides with me a lot. I have the shock and forks adjusted to one click/line firmer than "standard" as shown in the manual. The bike is not difficult or uncomfortable to ride. What am I missing? A grand for a shock and another grand for upgraded forks is a lot of coin.

And I am not going to try to talk you into buying them either. You only know what you know.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Subscribed. How's everything been going with the rebuild LDH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just fine, the hardest part is documenting the process LOTS of pics...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I never accused LDH of being a high pressure salesman. Note two sentences in my post: "I am very interested." and "What am I missing?"

And be careful with the word ALWAYS. Every generalization is wrong.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts