Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2006 919 with 34,000 miles. Today I noticed two small coolant leaks near #2 & #3 cylinders on the intake manifold side of the engine. The leaks appear to originate from the head gasket. Has anyone else seen this? The gasket looks like it goes for $55 online. I have the 2004 manual and it states the engine needs to be removed to remove the head. Is this true? I've pulled the valve cover offer twice and it seems like there is plenty of room to pull the head off if needed unless the block dowel pins are really long. Has anyone else done this job? I'm confident in performing this job I just want to scope the work involved. The leaks appear to dry up after the block is warmed up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You do not need to remove the engine to do the head gasket! I have replaced mine twice this year without engine removal. (i have a turbo fitted and it was blowing coolant out of the overflow at 10psi boost!) The only small problem you will have is when you come to torque the head down, one of head bolts is tricky to get to! But that will depend on your torque wrench/tool kit.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2006 919 with 34,000 miles. Today I noticed two small coolant leaks near #2 & #3 cylinders on the intake manifold side of the engine. The leaks appear to originate from the head gasket. Has anyone else seen this? The gasket looks like it goes for $55 online. I have the 2004 manual and it states the engine needs to be removed to remove the head. Is this true? I've pulled the valve cover offer twice and it seems like there is plenty of room to pull the head off if needed unless the block dowel pins are really long. Has anyone else done this job? I'm confident in performing this job I just want to scope the work involved. The leaks appear to dry up after the block is warmed up.
Is this bike stock or turbo-equipped? If it's stock it's the first blown head gasket on a 919 that I've heard of. Anyone else hear of this happening on a stock 919 before?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just because no one has heard of it before doesn't mean it can't happen. I Had my 9er for 4 years, put 41000 miles on it, did track days, rode it as a daily driver & all I did was change the fluids & replace the rear wheel bearings. I never experienced any of what I have seen on this forum as "common problems" with it. I understand its a good reference but just because it didn't happen on someone this site doesn't mean it can't happen

·
McTavish
6,464 Posts
Just because no one has heard of it before doesn't mean it can't happen.
Quite correct, but, that is not what Ottawa asked.
Bizarre and Unusual should always be weighed against "previously unheard of", especially with the wide range of problem definition and diagnostic skills that exists across the board.
For example, I had never heard of FPR problems before, now, not only do I know they are a potential problem to monitor, but that a number have indeed failed, although the precise primary cause(s?) have not yet been totally nailed down.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
mcromo nailed it. another member on here was talking about fuel running through his exhaust and everyone told him to check the fpr. until he finally decided to check the fpr, he ran the bike with fuel cleaner hoping the problem would correct itself. now he's experiencing even more engine issues due to gas washing the cyl walls.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
The context of my question was that it appears unusual. We have had discussions recently where long-term owners have stated their maintenance issues and failures that clearly domonstrated that the 919 is an exceptionally reliable machine. Regular wear and tear maintenance plus rear wheel bearing failure and clutch cable failure seems to be typical. A head gasket failure is not, apparently.

·
Le So Cal Troll
5,766 Posts
can you get a pic of the leak?

there IS a bypass tube that goes from the water pump to the top of the head on the intake side of the motor... might check that first, as like others have stated this is not something that happens with the 919... so use the KISS method... keep is simple stupid, and only tear the motor down as a last resort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer everyone's questions. Engine is stock. I checked the valves at 16,000 and 32,000 miles. I run Prestone antifreeze mixed 50/50. I took a photo. It is actually leaking on #3 & #4 cylinders. It's not a big leak but a leak none the less. If I do fix it I will wait until winter time.

·
Hippie Tinkerer
492 Posts
I run Prestone antifreeze mixed 50/50. I took a photo.
I believe the coolant you use may be an issue. I spent alot of time a few years back looking into what coolant to use, and was told by multiple dealers and Honda Mechanics that it had to be Silica Free. Every automotive coolant I checked had silica in it, even checked with some large scale distributors of the stuff, and they said that Silica free coolant was hard to find except for in motorcycles, and that even aluminum "safe" stuff for cars still has silica in it that was not compatable with bikes. Now maybe I only heard what I wanted to, maybe they were all messing with me, but I decided to follow the instructions and run motorcycle silica free coolant. Having been an auto mechanic for the last 10 years, I know that running the wrong coolant, or running it for to long in your car, will cause leaks, and I can't help but wonder if that's what's causing your issues now....

If you have a mechanic buddy with the right tools, ask him to pressure test your system, it'll determine if you've got leaks, and where there coming from...:yes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone! I got a question hopefully someone knows the answer to. I have a 2004 919 and on the front of the motor its weeping oil and it appears to be coming from the head gasket. I dont see any coolant, the motor runs like a top. I dont see any oil from the valve cover, now it does have headers from a fireblade on it. is it possible oil could come from that area if it was installed wrong? is it possible to leak only oil from the head gasket and have no other symptoms?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts