Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need some help regarding a small coolant leak. I have a 2003 919, but the 2002 service manual. The manual shows some kind of "hole"/divit in the bottom of the water pump and states that if coolant is leaking from there then you need a whole pump. Does the 2003 have this? As I can't see it. The leak looks like it is coming from the bottom most cover bolt which would point to it just being the 0-ring. Thats like $20 with coolant versus $200.
Anyone have any expereince? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey rpm. I have the '02 to'07 manual, no cooling system changes in any years. I just now looked under my '07 919, yes the inspection hole is there but you have to put your head under the motor and look straight up at the underside of the waterpump, you will easily see it then. Use your manual to ID the waterpump bolts. there are four of them in a roughly square pattern. There is a coolant drain bolt near the bottom of the pump. Shine a good light on the drain bolt- it could be leaking there and only needs a new sealing washer. A leak from that drain bolt would wet the area around the lower-most waterpump bolt. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Speed is life ...
45 Posts
Leaking out the hole means bad water pump seal , not available separatley . That's why they say you need to replace the pump . Make sure it's not running down from somwewhere else

1 - 3 of 3 Posts