Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Shootist357
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like a zillion other guys on google.... my 2004 919 has a weird clicking / clunking noise. I can hear it when pulling away from a stop. Almost sounds rotational/rhythmic, but I can't replicate it on the stand. Some days it seems louder/harder than others.

It's hard to hear after a short period due to engine noise as the rpm come up.

running 17/44 gearing with good chain and sprockets. no apparent clicking from this area.

I have no idea where it is coming from--hell it could be in the engine for all I know, but engine is quiet smooth at idle and all speeds.

It's bad enough I don't want to be riding this one for my own personal safety as I don't know what is about to come loose. I do all my own wrenching and know the bike is solid. I'm at the point where I'm about to pull it down to the frame and build the entire bike back up unless I get some wisdom here.

Thanks,
Mike
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Left of Centre
4,018 Posts
How tight is your chain?

Sometimes, as the swingarm flattens out with the weight of the rider, an over-tight chain can pull on the countershaft sprocket, and there will be a noise that isn't present when the bike is on the stand with the swingarm dropped and the chain less tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts