Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that my bike has a cheap chain because I have to do slack adjustments every few months and it's maxing out so I'm looking to replacing them. I believe that stock is 530 pitch with 16/43 teeth. I'm in Los Angeles so city riding is what I do but I also have long rides on the freeways/highways (Los Angeles to Bakersfield and Orange County is normal). I'm normally at around 5000 rpm on the freeways so stock will do me well but am open to changing it up for better highway performance while keeping acceleration. I'm a big boy so it takes a bit more (ok, a lot more) than normal to get me moving.

I would love advice on size, brand, store, etc since this will be the first time I'm spec'ing these parts.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You can tell the true wear on your chain by doing the "3:00 pull test". Here's how my prior chain did and you can see some other videos of my chain and it's noise on the same channel:

I got the 17/44 and I'm guessing that the prior setup was stock, so the change should have been pretty small, but I noticed a change and didn't really like it. I'm thinking of going 1 up on the front to get back to what it was before. The 520 X chain is great and Kyle's price is great.

I didn't count the prior gears, so IDK, I just assumed it was stock and the wear seems like a 40+K mile chain.

Before it would jump/jerk a bit taking off in first, that's gone with the 17/44, but the just after that torque seems gone too.

Seems like the ideal is factory 16/44, 520 X chain is fine, then a PC III tuner to smooth out that off idle jerk.

The off idle jerk sucks going slow around town, I guess one of those throttle cam things would also address this, but I was feathering the clutch a lot and that can take it's wear on the hand.

I did 15,000 miles in a large city in about 6 months, and the 919 is my only transportation, so I ride a LOT.

I'm in California, so Kyle wouldn't sell me a PCIII.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an example of where I should have done a forum search before I posted. I wasn't sure about the 520 conversion because by the time I put me and some cargo on my bike, I'm at it's weight limit. Took a look at the suggested conversion Kyle is selling and it looks like it won't be an issue with the ZVM-X chain. So I'm going to get that. Can't use the PCIII because, California, which sucks. So thanks for pointing me to Kyle's conversion.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'd bet that you can get a PCIII on eBay or somewhere else. Kyle Racing had an older USB version he blew out for $50 and I told him I wanted it, setup someone to buy it and ship to me, then he sold it before I got back to him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I'd report in that I had the 520 conversion from Kyle Racing put on my bike. If I were to do this again I'd stick with the 530 pitch but the gear ratios are spot on (17/44). I didn't lose much on street riding and gained smoothness on the highway. I'm very happy with how much better the ride is. I would strongly suggest this gearing to anyone with a 919.

Would like to try the PCIII but braided lines, throttle cable replacement, and valve adjustments are next.

·
Administrator
4,568 Posts
Are any of the newer ones better than the PC3 LDH?
PC III has been DISCO for many years. PCV are now also technically DISCO even though they are still in stock and are being replaced by the PC6 which is a fine unit, but the end user can no longer see the actual base map that is loaded in the PC6. With that the end user can only adjust the tune of that internal map by a certain %. In the grand scheme of thing this is really not a big deal as most do not ever need to adjust the map anyway, but it is a limitation that has never been imposed on the customer before.

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
PC III has been DISCO for many years. PCV are now also technically DISCO even though they are still in stock and are being replaced by the PC6 which is a fine unit, but the end user can no longer see the actual base map that is loaded in the PC6. With that the end user can only adjust the tune of that internal map by a certain %. In the grand scheme of thing this is really not a big deal as most do not ever need to adjust the map anyway, but it is a limitation that has never been imposed on the customer before.
LDH, does this mean the map compare capability is gone in the PC6? If so, how does a real tuner get around all this? Or is the PC6 not designed for race use?

·
Administrator
4,568 Posts
LDH, does this mean the map compare capability is gone in the PC6? If so, how does a real tuner get around all this? Or is the PC6 not designed for race use?
For licensed tuners the unit is actually incredibly versatile, but we have special licensed software that is not available to the end users. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with EPA laws and such that have made this change mandatory and will likely result in an Exemption Order so these can be sold in California etc, but that is further down the road.

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
For licensed tuners the unit is actually incredibly versatile, but we have special licensed software that is not available to the end users. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes with EPA laws and such that have made this change mandatory and will likely result in an Exemption Order so these can be sold in California etc, but that is further down the road.
Well, I'll never be a licensed tuner. So I'm not happy about the consumer level limitation aspect of the PC6. Thanks for the good insight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts