Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, new 919er here. Just bought a 2006 earlier this week with 34k miles for $3,800. I inspected the bike in person and gave it a test ride before I bought it. I was satisfied with the modifications I saw and the way it rode. My issue now is the modifications I couldn't see during the inspection, mainly the air intake. It looks like it has been sanded down and it is missing a sensor/mechanism that fits into the plastic. I have been reading about something called a pair valve removal but I don't know enough about the bike to say that is what has been done. Additionally the air filter has a hardened/caramelized substance around the seal that I can't remove. I was told by the owner that the previous owner had made most of the modifications and had a power commander installed and tuned at a performance shop. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Carbon
Shoe Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Bumper
Membranophone Automotive tire Drum Light Bicycle tire

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Hornyet, welcome to the forum!
Nice looking 919!
I have a CBR 929 that I bought used as well about a year ago and it also has many mods done to it. What I have been doing is cleaning up all the mods and try to track down the purpose of those mods. In some cases, I have just cleaned them up a little, smoothed out the rough edges etc. In my case, it's also difficult to get OEM parts to bring the bike back to stock when deemed a necessity but in most cases, I just familiarise myself and move on. The bike is not a collector's item and I certainly am not a collector, I have always enjoyed a modified vehicle and usually, the mods are improvements in performance or cosmetics so I let them go.

·
Wanna free cat?
1,239 Posts
Howdy Horneyet, and welcome aboard!
In your first pic, the hole in your intake snorkel is where the control valve diaphragm used to be. As part of the "flapper mod" the vacuum line would simply be removed from it and the control valve fitting would be capped. The hole left in the snorkel by completely removing the cv shouldn't affect anything. However, you should probably check the rest of the vacuum lines concerned.

In your second pic, I don't know what I'm looking at.

Third pic appears to be the adhesive used to glue the paper part of the filter cartridge in place, no prob. If I didn't know old it was or how many miles are on the filter, I'd replace it.

·
Wanna free cat?
1,239 Posts

I need another pic...zoom out

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
Much has already been covered.
Here's a bit more.

The standard inlet horn is decent in terms of shape and inlet area.
It's adequate for more than a stock or exhaust canned 919 can flow.

A butcher has worked on the one you have, and made it worse, not better.

The open port on the side needs to be blocked off as inflowing air there, will interfere with the main flow from the inlet opening.

Suggested:
Buy a used inlet horn.
BUT if you don't want to do that, just block off the open port on the side.
If you go this route, be sure to do it from the outside, so that any relative vacuum in the air flow channel will tend to hold it in place, instead of trying so suck it off - as it would if the blocker was inside mounted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Much has already been covered.
Here's a bit more.

The standard inlet horn is decent in terms of shape and inlet area.
It's adequate for more than a stock or exhaust canned 919 can flow.

A butcher has worked on the one you have, and made it worse, not better.

The open port on the side needs to be blocked off as inflowing air there, will interfere with the main flow from the inlet opening.

Suggested:
Buy a used inlet horn.
BUT if you don't want to do that, just block off the open port on the side.
If you go this route, be sure to do it from the outside, so that any relative vacuum in the air flow channel will tend to hold it in place, instead of trying so suck it off - as it would if the blocker was inside mounted.
Butchered, yikes. I didn't know it was that bad. When you say inlet horn I assume you mean this whole thing: Air Intake snorkel 919 Honda CB900F 04 #HH18 | eBay

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
yes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts