Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,223 Posts
What would you consider to be "taking care of her?" My bike just hit 50k miles. I'm pretty sure the valve guides or seals are on their way out.
I have just done the normal maintenance that is in the service manual and my bike is kept in the garage most of the time when not ridden. I had to shim a couple of inlet valves at 32K and 48K. Coming up on 108K and haven't really had any engine issues at all (that I know about).

·
Registered
211 Posts
My ever more loved 2005 919 has 62123 km on the clock. Picked it up with 50k last March for AU$3750. It came with a long service history. Had been owned firstly by a teacher who took stunning care of the bike, kept all oil changes, filters, and every single maintenance, all of which were things that need replacing through ending natural value such as tyres and pads.

Rear rotor was changed around 40k and it has been changed again recently.
Chain and sprockets were changed for a DID at 40k also, and whilst they are in great condition, there is not much stretch left on the markers.

I had a decent service done after purchase, all fluids, plugs changed, checked valve clearances (all fine), all connections and nuts and bolt and recently have changed the oil and filter again, replaced the K and N with a Hiflo, and got a set of lovely Angel GTs installed. Also had my tyre mechanic check the wheel bearings, all fine and dandy.

Had to change the battery as the old one ( I think the original!) didnt enjoy the hosing down I had given the bike after a chain clean!

No doubt there will be problems ahead, but much of the bike seems stock and...fine. The engine still pulls remarkably well and never any issues starting.

I hope I will be coming back to this thread if I reach 100k!

·
Registered
13 Posts
40000 miles and counting... whassup riders?! So another season is here. I am about to put brand new set of pilot 4 GT tires on and ready to hit 50000 mile mark 😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
46200 and counting, time to redo front forks. Never touched valves. Original spark plugs replaced at 46000 lol, they looked bad 😝. I put 30000 on one air filter. Oil changes every 10k-12k... New spark plug cables, throttle and clutch cables are gonna be replaced at 50k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
30k if Kms!

5k miles when purchased in July 2016. Below is what I had done straight away.

Full service, done by professional- he told me not to bother with shims and yes he was right.

None were out....but for me, I wouldn't undertake that tool wielding, and with the age of the bike on such low mileage some may have closed up etc. I got peace of mind.
Nitron rear shock and new fork internals- done by Steve Jordan, (Surrey UK). New fluids and brake lines. Braided up front. Throttle bodies balanced- big difference with vibes on highways.

This summer...
Suspension full refresh [MENTION=4969]Steve[/MENTION] Jordan of course
Fluids again

New DID C&S due to my neglect...was the originals on the bike

And finally this summer new rubber....I ride around London so low mileage but hard-wearing and many hours in saddle.
Just to be different I've gone for Metzeler, pilots previously. Let you all know this winter if I'm still happy with this choice!
Loads of quality oil and filter changes.

My switch for headlight settings, not hi-beam, packed up. Soldered together, switch-arm removed and Duck tape to cover aperture. Later models have this blanked off. This bodge has just passed it's second MOT(ministry of transport yearly inspection)

I foo kin lurve my Hornet and my ten year old daughter loves being a pillion rider...'faster daddy'. Her Mum rides a Fazer 400(Japan market only).

Silver was the fastest colour, till I got one!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
69,&change on my '02 919,would still shit, &get,stop 2 smell it later till about a month ago,now she sits frustrating me trying 2 figure out what's wrong with her

·
Registered
13 Posts
53000 miles. Time for new set of tires. One seal on front wheel replaced. New clutch cable installed. I have new throttle cables ready to be put in as well as front brake hose and master cylinder kit. Valves are gonna be inspected but i dont expect any problems. Ready to hit 65000 next year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
97 900rr (919cc) 58,668.9 currently, and still going! I bought in april 04 with 18k on it and since ive only had minor repairs/basic maintenance such as fork seals (x3) times, brakes, battery, tires, stator, hydraulic slave conversion, chain and sprockets, seals and bearings front and rear, only 1 clutch and disk set, valve shims, and a radiator.... Im getting ready to do a full rebuild this fall but only because i feel like its time and as a preventive maintenance standpoint as it runs amazing still ive even walked a busa 1340 with it

·
Registered
2 Posts
152K kms. On my third set of bearings front and rear. Forth chain. Third set of pads front and rear. Replaced the front brake switch that stopped working. (All bikes use the same one Harley included). Forth headlight bulb. Third set of spark plugs. Changed 2 valve shims at 85k kms. Lots of fuel and oil.

Original equipment includes

-battery :idunno:
-FPR
-stator
-head bearings
-swing-arm bearings
-water pump
-all fuses
I just bought my 03 919 and has 54k miles now. The guy I bought it from wasn’t the best source of info on the bike so I have no idea what has been replaced or not. Could you tell me what I should be looking for to make sure I take care of my bike the right way before I break anything else? This is my first real bike but have been riding for years just not used to doing the maintenance but am very mechanically inclined but mostly on cars. Thanks

·
Wanna free cat?
1,109 Posts
Could you tell me what I should be looking for to make sure I take care of my bike the right way before I break anything else?

·
Registered
13 Posts
61500 Miles and tomorrow going to Smoky mountains, Georgia, Alabama for a week. Goal is to end this season with 65000 miles... I made it to Smokies, 1200 miles in 3 days. Fun fun! After this trip I am ready for 2nd set of wheel bearings (my experience is they are good for about 35k). I tried Lucas 20w-50 this time. I am getting to 100k goal 😁.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts