Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
241 - 260 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought my 04 with 37k on it, already about to hit 40k soon. Bike runs fantastic. It was basically stock when I got it. I added danmoto slip ons and a PC3 and it runs even better. Out of curiousity I checked the compression when I pulled the plugs. Average was about 160ish. Not sure if the valves need adjusting because the book calls for 185psi.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Bought my 04 with 37k on it, already about to hit 40k soon. Bike runs fantastic. It was basically stock when I got it. I added danmoto slip ons and a PC3 and it runs even better. Out of curiousity I checked the compression when I pulled the plugs. Average was about 160ish. Not sure if the valves need adjusting because the book calls for 185psi.
As a general rule valves get tighter as they wear, so assuming you tested the compression correctly it should only be a function of ring/cylinder sealing, and have nothing to do with valves unless one is bent or something is majorly wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a general rule valves get tighter as they wear, so assuming you tested the compression correctly it should only be a function of ring/cylinder sealing, and have nothing to do with valves unless one is bent or something is majorly wrong.
Doesn't that in turn make the valve stay open longer than it's needed?

·
Not so Rookie Anymore
418 Posts
Just turning 60000 miles on my 06'... Still running strong. Have only had to replace the speedo pick up. Sargent upgraded seat has held up great at well. Still love the bike!

Reactions: marylandmike

·
Moto-Doc
213 Posts
Only 79K on the '03 so far and it runs like a top.
Nice! What windscreen and luggage system is that? Looks like a nice set up for long distance =)

·
Serial Monogamist
1,511 Posts
Nice! What windscreen and luggage system is that? Looks like a nice set up for long distance =)
Thanks! It is a Givi System with three E36 cases and a Memphis Shades Bladerunner. Unfortunately, the bags, racks, and shield are no longer available.

My girlfriend took this rig to California and back in 2005 and I rode the ST1300 during a 26 day and 7,500 mile tour.

·
McTavish
6,524 Posts
I am on Vancouver Island at present.
While in Coombs (the place with the grassed roof that goats live and graze on) I saw an all original BMW R90S in really nice shape, super well kept, not a restoration at all.
It had a GB oval plate as well as a Brands Hatch sticker on it.
The owner appeared and we chatted it up.
An ex pat Brit in Canada for 12 years, original owner, 264,000 miles on the bike!!!!!!!
Does all his own work.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Rolled 40,000 on mine the other day, had a rear wheel bearing go at the end of last year, and finally had to replace the brake pads this year... other than that, tires, oil changes, and miles are all that's been needed.

Reactions: marylandmike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Picked up my 05 919 a week or so back, which had 55000 km on the clock...around 34000 miles.

I have the service history, which shows regular oil and filter changes.
New front and rear pads, rear rotor, chain all at 40k.
Full service at 20k.

The remus danmoto cans sound a bit growly, but I think they are meant to! Other than which, so far, I was a little sad to step down from the fairly modded 09 FZ1, as the drop in power is noticeable, yet now...a week after, and I got back on the FZ as still have some work to do before selling, and...it felt heavy, harder to turn, and too quick too quick. less fun, more work. It seems the 919 and I are bonding.

I am able to do a few jobs myself on the bike, nothing with the engine, dont have the dexterity or patience and always get a bike checked out properly by a mechanic I trust when new to me. Set a bass line of sorts, for me to then do routine services myself for fluids and pads, and cables. I dont think the valves have ever been checked, and whilst the mechanic said there may be no need to if the beast starts swiftly and runs well, I am to include it in the full service to be done next week. Will give me some peace of mind, and im paying for labour to dissect the thing to check out the current condition.

Maybe front wheel bearings...I hear a sound coming and going, metallic in nature, when not decelerating, coming from the front end. Will be checked/rectified in the service.

Only slight concern is that twice I believe in the last week I have found myself in no gear...not neutral, but no gear. Could be a mistake, could be my haphazard changes and getting used to the gearing (I am used to regularly launching in 1st on the FZ then shifting swiftly through to 5th or 6th to cruise.). the grease merchant said he would check the gearbox in the service.

Still, as he told me, these engines are built to last...so it would be surprising to find anything amiss.

The little devil is growing on me. Seems a thrashy little bastard!

·
919 Rider
2,948 Posts
Gutterpoet. In regards to your false neutrals while changing gears.
I had a similar issue. Occasionally I got a false neutral between 5th and 6th. I mentioned this in a post on this site and was advised to preload the gear change lever immediately prior to shifting gears. Going up through the gears not down. I've been doing this for a few months now,a couple of thousand km's, and I've not had a single false neutral or missed shift. Be very deliberate and firm with your shifting. Maybe adjust your gear change lever down a bit. Also might mention occasionally when I shift up from 5th into 6th I can feel on my foot a double "click". I think prior to changing my shifting technique these odd double click changes may have become false neutrals. Keep pessure on gear lever until gear shifts fully into next. Be deliberate and preload gear lever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 919 in summer 2017 with 15000 miles on it. I paid 3700$. After I bought it I replaced tires and rear brake pads and air filter. Rode all season. Later I bought new chain and sprockets. Fresh coolant and brake fluid. Ended season with about 25000 miles. Season 2018 - I put like 11000 miles on it so I am at little over 35000 miles. Bike still runs like a champ. Rear bearing on brake side took a crap at 35000 so I replaced all bearings. Bike will need valve clearances inspection soon but other than that it just keeps going. Maybe spark plugs next spring... I go with honda full synthetic oil, I have like 10000 miles on it. Time to change next season lol. I went thru one front pilot 3 tire and 3 rear ones. Now I switched to pilot 4. First front one and second rear tire... I am planning to keep this bike for one more season, maybe 2. It is well balanced motorcycle, and it takes 87 octane gas. I don't see any difference when running on premium gas mileage wise or power wise...

·
Super Moderator
11,241 Posts
I bought my 919 in summer 2017 with 15000 miles on it. I paid 3700$. After I bought it I replaced tires and rear brake pads and air filter. Rode all season. Later I bought new chain and sprockets. Fresh coolant and brake fluid. Ended season with about 25000 miles. Season 2018 - I put like 11000 miles on it so I am at little over 35000 miles. Bike still runs like a champ. Rear bearing on brake side took a crap at 35000 so I replaced all bearings. Bike will need valve clearances inspection soon but other than that it just keeps going. Maybe spark plugs next spring... I go with honda full synthetic oil, I have like 10000 miles on it. Time to change next season lol. I went thru one front pilot 3 tire and 3 rear ones. Now I switched to pilot 4. First front one and second rear tire... I am planning to keep this bike for one more season, maybe 2. It is well balanced motorcycle, and it takes 87 octane gas. I don't see any difference when running on premium gas mileage wise or power wise...
All sounds pretty normal. Many, many miles left if you take are of her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
54k kilometres ,2002, 16k is mine, 3 oilchanges, one brakepad change, one air filter. Brake disks should withstand next years season 3.5 mm limit by manual, my have like 3.8-3.9 mm. Runnig nice.

Отправлено с моего SM-P605 через Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 277 Posts