Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
About to turn 32,000. Time to pull the valve cover again to inspect the valves. My only major maintenance issues have been brake pads, rear wheel bearings, chain and sprockets. The chain and sprockets I have replaced twice already since I got it with 10k on it. I'm hard on those apparently. Might be something to do with the 520 pitch also.

I run a 520 kit, with an aluminum rear sprocket. I am at about 20k. You are either not cleaning and lubing it enough/properly or its not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine a year ago with 37,000 from the previous owner. Was all worried because my friend was telling me thats way too many miles for a bike. It now has 42,000 on it and running fine.
New brake pads all around
New front tire due to nail replacing the rear soon because of wear
Coolant flush oil and gas
??

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
I bought mine a year ago with 37,000 from the previous owner. Was all worried because my friend was telling me thats way too many miles for a bike. It now has 42,000 on it and running fine.
New brake pads all around
New front tire due to nail replacing the rear soon because of wear
Coolant flush oil and gas
??
Your friend is either an idiot, a Harley owner, or both. :p

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Your friend is either an idiot, a Harley owner, or both. :p
I wouldn't be so quick about that judgement. The myth that motorcycle engines don't last 40-50k miles still lingers in a lot of places. People don't realize that they are mostly just downsized versions of car engines and can last just as long, with routine maintenance.

·
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
6,883 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick about that judgement. The myth that motorcycle engines don't last 40-50k miles still lingers in a lot of places. People don't realize that they are mostly just downsized versions of car engines and can last just as long, with routine maintenance.
It's high mileage in a lot of certain crowds because well...bikes are usually wrecked before anywhere near 30k.

We are talking street miles though, not sure what track/race only bikes get.

·
The 919 project continues
2,427 Posts
I went over 40,000 miles on the last day of the most recent road trip. I picked her up 7 years ago with 680 miles. She still runs perfect! In addition to the usual post-ride wash and lube, it was a good time for new spark plugs, oil and filter, lube cables, clean air filter, and a coolant flush. I'm looking forward to another 40,000 miles of smiles!

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
well it happened sometime last week and I must have slept through it. I was expecting something, maybe a chorus of angels or chirping birds

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hit it back in the beginning of September , forgot to post up, mid 30's now, also the bike did a bit of gymnastics (tumbling at Blackhawk farms) and is uglier now, but still runs fine!

Do we have any confirmed 919's over 100k?

Attachments

·
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
3,802 Posts
Hit it back in the beginning of September , forgot to post up, mid 30's now, also the bike did a bit of gymnastics (tumbling at Blackhawk farms) and is uglier now, but still runs fine! Do we have any confirmed 919's over 100k?
Yes, my first one died at 166,000 kms.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

·
919>food>beer
1,151 Posts
Does it count if there was a slight rebuild?
Shifter dogs were woren and popping out of gear around 80-90k rebuilt it and been riding for 3 more years.

I have no true odo since a crash years ago and riding 3 years with out one. I know the origanl one had 14k I rode 3 heavy years at about 20 k a year, then the new odo had 6k and is at 40k now

221 - 240 of 276 Posts