1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda V4: tech details of the VFR1200 revealed
By Ben Purvis
08 July 2009 14:50

The VFR1200 is set to take Honda into the next decade by attracting virtually every sort of rider – combining effortless touring ability, race-sharp handling and everyday practicality into a single package.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the bike’s clear position in Honda’s range. Far from superseding the Fireblade as an all-out sports tool as many have speculated, the new V4 is clearly set to take the place of the now-defunct Blackbird, offering bags of comfort as well as eyeball-popping performance. A second version will take the place of Honda’s long-lived Pan European, using the same chassis and engine but clothed in full touring bodywork.

The VFR1200 is set to take Honda into the next decade by attracting virtually every sort of rider

SHAFT DRIVE

Single-sided swingarm incorporates shaft-drive BMW-style for neatness and ease of maintenance. Using a shaft also confirms the new machine is no replacement for the firm’s flagship Fireblade sports bike.

FRAME

Substantially engineered conventional beam frame hints at the massive performance to come from the V4 motor. This replaces the futuristic ‘hidden’ frame of the concept bike that first revealed the engine’s ‘V’.

ENGINE AND GEARBOX

1200cc V4 is narrow enough to easily fit between the rider’s knees and has variable cylinder control. Performance from the all-new unit should be very impressive. The pic also shows a conventional gear lever, quashing any notion of Honda only using its new semi-
automatic system, although this may well be an option.

BODYWORK

Swooping styling and the incorporation of ‘V’ motifs carry over from the V4 concept bike revealed in the autumn of 2008. The stubby nose and short side panels echo the manufacturer’s current Fireblade in design.

Source: MCN

·
Registered
449 Posts
Love the V4 hate the front of that bike.
The whole thing looks BMWish.

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
Sure is a perfect response to Connie-14!
Don't see slider mount points on the frame!
I want more info and a testride could be expensive.

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
Argghhh, can't stand the front end.
Hating the shaft drive.
Will have to see if they do anything to manage the application of torque.

Shaft drive...meh, I don't want it.
Chains make the world go round the way god intended.

·
Lovin the Vanilla Ice
602 Posts
Hating the shaft drive.

+1
I'm not sure what the heck Honda was thinking with the cyclop bulldog look. I appreciate the ease of maintenance of a shaft but it doesn't belong on a sport bike.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I think there must be a convention that says that the hot new bikes for the next decade MUST have ugly-arse headlights/front ends...but at least this one doesn't look like a transformer.

I like the chain drive on my 919 just fine, but I rode my old 85 shadow for five years without any real maintenance on it's shaft drive...that has definite appeal for me. I know there's loss of performance involved, but it's not a huge deal to me. I do like the look of that swingarm.

styling-wise, i kinda agree that it looks like it needs a bmw roundel on the side...but on the other hand, it has too many angles on the tank/fairing and not enough swoopy/soft gentle curves to be a bimmer.

Overall impression....I like it and want a test ride!!!! I wanna see specs!!! I want performance graphs!!!

Lastly, WTF is with that dude's humongous noggin inside that helmet! Holy cow! is he a *********? :huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
shaft drive to me = no messy chain lube and i can road trip that biotch with out carrying lube change gear oil when you do your valves at 16000 miles

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
^ that pic makes it looks like a ST1300 ---

Take a good look at that shaft, what a total rip off of the BMW ! I'd almost say ti was a Guzzi rip off also , but, it doesnt have the anti-torque arms. Im gonna hold out till it actually hits the show circuits - if it actually does come stateside, 'bout time you did something new and fresh Honda !

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,619 Posts
Hating the shaft drive.

+2 except a big v4 sounds tits! The front fairing looks like a swimmer pinching his nose before a dive. It IS awfully BMW longish looking, too.

·
rider
249 Posts
According to our Honda Rep this thing is rumored to be 200 HP. I'll believe that when I see the dyno run. However, if its true, even with shaft drive that would put rwhp in the neighborhood of 160. I think I could probaby live with that. The other big question is how much will this puppy weigh?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
According to our Honda Rep this thing is rumored to be 200 HP. I'll believe that when I see the dyno run. However, if its true, even with shaft drive that would put rwhp in the neighborhood of 160. I think I could probaby live with that. The other big question is how much will this puppy weigh?
I'm guessing between 550-600lbs. For a bike of this type, that's a perfect place. It's big enough and stable enough for the long-haul sport touring and light enough to be fun in the curves with a bit of effort. I'm guessing in usual Honda fashion ... a very easy bike to ride and create the hero factor.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts