Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My used 919 only has one key. The dealer has one blank but cant tell me if my bike has a chip or not ??. Can i buy the blank and have a lock smith cut a new key or is chip coding involved
THANKS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no code

I just checked my key for a code # it is a Honda key but no code . Opened gas cap looked under gas cap for code numbers nope.
If i buy a honda blank and with my good key will a locksmith be able to cut the key. Is the code part of the key cutting copied
Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
code

I just found out no hiss system in USA [ good ] . I need to stop reading on line manuals that are English :smile2:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,659 Posts
Cut the cheese and be done with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe the "key code" referred to is usually supplied on a little metal tag along with the keys on a new bike. Without that little tag, you're not likely to find the key code anyplace else. But that doesn't mean you can't get a new key cut if you already have one key.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bought a blank from the honda dealer for 10 bucks, lock smith cut it for 2 dollars. now i have a back up key. I was on a ride last year and we were up in the mountains at a restaurant. This poor fellow lost his key. Everybody tried to help him find it. He was not in my group so i do not know what happened.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
bought a blank from the honda dealer for 10 bucks, lock smith cut it for 2 dollars. now i have a back up key. I was on a ride last year and we were up in the mountains at a restaurant. This poor fellow lost his key. Everybody tried to help him find it. He was not in my group so i do not know what happened.
That would suck. Losing your key and getting stranded. I wonder where you could hide a spare key on the 919. Maybe one of those magnetic boxes underneath somewhere?

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
I just realized I've asked everyone to give up there spare key hiding secrets. Don't.
Quick story. I live somewhere that has zero auto theft. I don't think I've even taken the key out of my bike's ignition for about 2yrs. I park in the street with the key in it.
A few years back a farm vehicle was reported stolen overnight. Vehicle had just dissappeared. It was the talk of the town. Fingers were pointed. First car stolen since forever. 6 months later the ute was found in scrub below where it was parked that night. You see there was a slope, the vehicle had rolled down the hill and went into some dense springy scrub. Which sprung back up, hiding the ute.
The farmer got an insurance payout and I believe keep the ute.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HISS

My used 919 only has one key. The dealer has one blank but cant tell me if my bike has a chip or not ??. Can i buy the blank and have a lock smith cut a new key or is chip coding involved
THANKS.

My 05 Hornet has a HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) sticker on the tank. The bike key has no discernable code type markings, but it might be a trip to a Honda dealer for a spare key.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
Peter. I'm not sure if you aware but the chip is buried in the plastic handle of the key. A label or such can be pried off. There is a cavity underneath holding a chip. Sometimes the chip is just pushed into the end of the handle. You have to buy a new blank key with a chip, eBay. Any good locksmith can copy your old key and cut your new blank. Then it's just a matter of encoding the chip to your bike. The chip reader is within the ignition. You can find the procedure online but you will need to make up a harness, easy. The encoding process wipes the memory but then will map in all the keys with chips, as many as you like.
Clear as mud?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Peter. I'm not sure if you aware but the chip is buried in the plastic handle of the key. A label or such can be pried off. There is a cavity underneath holding a chip. Sometimes the chip is just pushed into the end of the handle. You have to buy a new blank key with a chip, eBay. Any good locksmith can copy your old key and cut your new blank. Then it's just a matter of encoding the chip to your bike. The chip reader is within the ignition. You can find the procedure online but you will need to make up a harness, easy. The encoding process wipes the memory but then will map in all the keys with chips, as many as you like.
Clear as mud?

Thanks IslandBoy,
Makes sense. I noticed the key has a plastic insert on one side, which must cover the chip. So the encoding process wipes the memory in the key chip, then does a remap?
I'll have a look online.
Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad you got your key situation sorted. Interestingly enough, I bought my 919 from this same dealer a couple years ago, and it only had one key. They were able to cut me a spare no problem.

·
McTavish
6,346 Posts
I just realized I've asked everyone to give up there spare key hiding secrets. Don't.
Quick story. I live somewhere that has zero auto theft. I don't think I've even taken the key out of my bike's ignition for about 2yrs. I park in the street with the key in it.
A few years back a farm vehicle was reported stolen overnight. Vehicle had just dissappeared. It was the talk of the town. Fingers were pointed. First car stolen since forever. 6 months later the ute was found in scrub below where it was parked that night. You see there was a slope, the vehicle had rolled down the hill and went into some dense springy scrub. Which sprung back up, hiding the ute.
The farmer got an insurance payout and I believe keep the ute.
You sure do live in a special place!
Between all that and the outward view to see from your house, sure makes it all sound tantalizing.
Hopefully we someday get to visit that part of the world!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts