Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
My 919 has had some clicking/ tapping that I’ve recently noticed. Ive always used OEM recommended Oil/ oil filter, coolant and maintenance parts.
I had the valve lashing done about 10 months ago and everything was in spec.
What could it be? Maybe a valve?
Thanks! Here’s a vid of that.

·
Left of Centre
3,921 Posts
It doesn't appear to be coming from up in the valve train - your video concentrates lower down on the motor - so that makes the valve theory unlikely. At different times, the injectors can be a bit noisy - that might be a possibility...Is it present all the time? Cold and hot motor? Idle and higher speeds?

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,619 Posts
How many miles you got on it? To be honest I didn't hear anything abnormal either.
You can buy an inexpensive stethoscope from the auto parts store and pinpoint any
noise you hear. I've got one of my own to do that.

·
McTavish
6,309 Posts
How many miles you got on it? To be honest I didn't hear anything abnormal either.
You can buy an inexpensive stethoscope from the auto parts store and pinpoint any
And end up hearing more scary sounding stuff with amazing clarity, if one doesn't know the sound of Good vs. Bad.
But it's still such a good idea, I have one too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't appear to be coming from up in the valve train - your video concentrates lower down on the motor - so that makes the valve theory unlikely. At different times, the injectors can be a bit noisy - that might be a possibility...Is it present all the time? Cold and hot motor? Idle and higher speeds?
Seems to be more noticeable when cold. It sounds like it’s from the bottom end, but sound travels through engines weird. I’ll probably get a stethoscope to look around. Most people here and Reddit say they don’t hear anything weird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunno. Mostly sounds OK to me.
What’s the mileage on your bike?
Yeah that’s what most people are saying. My bike just passed 20k. She starts and runs fine, I just want to keep her alive for as long as possible. I may be a little bit of a motorcycle hypochondriac lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has just over 20k.
I’ll probably buy one of those, thanks! Most people say it sounds normal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
She has just over 20k.
I’ll probably buy one of those, thanks! Most people say it sounds normal.
Ahhh, just broken in! If the noise continues to bother you though, for a few hundred bucks you can get an Acoustic Enhancement Tool and just drown it out. It replaces your stock exhaust cans though and may cause excessive revving of the engine and running in a lower gear than necessary.

·
Left of Centre
3,921 Posts
Seems to be more noticeable when cold. It sounds like it’s from the bottom end, but sound travels through engines weird. I’ll probably get a stethoscope to look around. Most people here and Reddit say they don’t hear anything weird.
Yeah, it certainly sounds pretty normal, all the usual whistles and growls. You might be over-anxious about it.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
I’ll bet my left nut it’s just injector noise resonating into the gearbox.
Dang. That's some high stake gamblin' right there... Hope no one raises ya 🥝

·
Pokemon Master
74 Posts
I’ll bet my left nut it’s just injector noise resonating into the gearbox.
I'll raise it to both of your nuts.

It sounds like the injectors to me. I tried it with my laptop speakers and two different sets of headphones and with my eyes closed it doesn't sound abnormal. Mine has 56,xxx miles and increasing daily and it's made the noise the whole time, I bet.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts