Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Hornet 919
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. My Hornet vibrates like nobody’s business when I’m at any speed exceeding 50 mph. Enough that after a half hour or so, my thumb and index finger lose feeling and my passengers legs and feet go numb. Not from cold- from vibration. Very strange considering hornets smooth reputation. Chain tension is fine, new tires, I’m missing one bar end on the throttle side but that can’t possibly cause that much... especially since the weight is still inside the handlebar. There are moments it goes smooth- particularly at 100mph exactly on a smooth even road. Thoughts?
Thanks
-CD

·
919 Rider
2,890 Posts
Make sure your chain is aligned perfectly. I find on my bike the vibes are bad if the chain is misaligned.
A worn chain/sprocket can also cause bad vibes.
Perhaps your wheels are out of balance.
Consider removing the weights from the rearsets. I’m sure they are there as dampeners but I found on my bike they made the vibes worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good morning all. My Hornet vibrates like nobody’s business when I’m at any speed exceeding 50 mph. Enough that after a half hour or so, my thumb and index finger lose feeling and my passengers legs and feet go numb. Not from cold- from vibration. Very strange considering hornets smooth reputation. Chain tension is fine, new tires, I’m missing one bar end on the throttle side but that can’t possibly cause that much... especially since the weight is still inside the handlebar. There are moments it goes smooth- particularly at 100mph exactly on a smooth even road. Thoughts?
Thanks
-CD
rear wheel bearings, if the rear wheel has been removed, were all the spacers put back in sequence? consider rechecking any maintenance that you have undertaken and revisit with a tension wrench

·
McTavish
6,462 Posts
Very strange indeed.
Such a broad spectrum of occurrence, along with severity.
A vary narrow condition seems to negate it.
Something highly unusual sounds involved.
Are all the engine mounts all properly tight?
Could there be a cracked or broken front engine mount from a crash, especially if sliders were mounted to the forward engine bolts?
Is there a rust or weld failure at one or both of the upper forward frame mounts?

Deeper scrutiny of how the problem manifests itself.
Especially if the frequency of the vibration changes with RPM or road speed.
I'd expect to see the amplitude (displacement) go down as frequency increases, with the opposite also holding true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts