Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chain adjustment maxed out at replacing chain
Hi, this is probably a noob question but I have a 2002 Hornet 919 and I just replaced the chain (sprockets look new, but chain was shot) and after making sure the chain slack was on spec (30-40mm) I am basically at the last notch on the adjuster, am I missing something or is this normal?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What chain length & sprockets are you running? Box stock the 919 did seem to gravitate toward the end of the adjustment range, at least visually if not actually because the adjusters show no gap to the rear & a gap to the front. Seems to effect the 02s more even though there are no part number differences across the years; does not mean something didn't evolve or get corrected during manufacturing over the years though.

FWIW stock is 114 links & 16-43 sprockets. I bought my 02 brand new & took it back to the dealer because as you mentioned it seemed to be almost out of adjustment so they cut the chain down to 112 links a month or two after I bought it & I ran it way for years after. Lots of threads about chain length on this forum for all the reasons above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bryce, thanks for the info, it definitely helps. The chain is a 114 and I didn’t replace the sprockets since they looked good (I know I should’ve have replaced them also) but I did check and they were still 16/43. I may just remove a link and make it a 112 once I order a new master link. Do you think I should be okay riding like this for now? The slack is at exactly
1 3/8” but it is literally by before the last notch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Bryce, thanks for the info, it definitely helps. The chain is a 114 and I didn’t replace the sprockets since they looked good (I know I should’ve have replaced them also) but I did check and they were still 16/43. I may just remove a link and make it a 112 once I order a new master link. Do you think I should be okay riding like this for now? The slack is at exactly
Many user run 112 with the stock 16/43, use the search function on the right, you'll find plenty of threads and info.

If I were you, I would keep the chain at 114 and just order 17/44 sprockets. You won't have to re-cut your chain and you'll have new sprockets (that match your new chain) with a better ratio that will eliminate the tachometer speed error.

·
919 Rider
2,955 Posts
Many user run 112 with the stock 16/43, use the search function on the right, you'll find plenty of threads and info.

If I were you, I would keep the chain at 114 and just order 17/44 sprockets. You won't have to re-cut your chain and you'll have new sprockets (that match your new chain) with a better ratio that will eliminate the tachometer speed error.
What he said.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have a different opinion on the 17/44 switch. It does smooth out the jerky 1st gear, but to be honest, I miss the torque. I know the math says it not much difference, but I did the conversion and I do miss the torque. As far as being buzzy on the freeway, it doesn't bother me. Maybe I've just become used to it, but the small drop in torque was noticeable.

·
Registered
2002 919, Asphalt
258 Posts
There is a belief, in the engineering world, that meshing gears should not have the same number of teeth or have gears with teeth count evenly divisable. The idea is that repeatedly meshing the exact same teeth will lead to uneven wear.

If you buy into this theory, and apply it to chains, you'll note that a chain length of 112 links is equally divisible by the stock front sprocket count of 16, that is 7. That is, with stock gearing on the 919 but with 112 links (vs. factory 114) then the exact same 7 links on a chain are matching with the exact same teeth on the front sprocket, repeatedly. If you buy into the above noted theory, uneven wear will result.

This may explain why the stock chain length appears to be long.

Just my thoughts. YMMV...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, after reading through the forums on here and checking the vin, it looks like I have one of the early 2002 models (one of the first 500 made) that should have used the 112 instead of 114. I will probably do as suggested and just go 17/44 on the sprockets when I go to replace the chains again.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The other reason you should get new sprockets is because you should always replace the sprockets and chain as a pair or you'll wipe them both out extra fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
There is a belief, in the engineering world, that meshing gears should not have the same number of teeth or have gears with teeth count evenly divisable. The idea is that repeatedly meshing the exact same teeth will lead to uneven wear.

If you buy into this theory, and apply it to chains, you'll note that a chain length of 112 links is equally divisible by the stock front sprocket count of 16, that is 7. That is, with stock gearing on the 919 but with 112 links (vs. factory 114) then the exact same 7 links on a chain are matching with the exact same teeth on the front sprocket, repeatedly. If you buy into the above noted theory, uneven wear will result.

This may explain why the stock chain length appears to be long.

Just my thoughts. YMMV...
I just fished around today and so far have found the following relevant info source:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts