Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is on my V30 (VF500C) I am having a problem with the clutch. I have rebuilt both the Master cylinder and Slave cylinder but still have no clutch disengage when I squeeze clutch lever. There isnt much resistance on the clutch lever and I have bleed the system several times. I removed the slave cylinder and it seems like the rod running from the slave cylinder to the clutch assembly is not functioning properly. The rod seems to slide toward the clutch assembly and then bottom out I tried to push the rod inward further but will not go any further. Is it possible that when the rod was removed from the slave cylinder side something on the clutch side either fell off or dislodged?

·
Super Moderator
4,526 Posts
The lack of resistance on the clutch lever is giving me a pretty good idea that the problem is simply in the hydraulics. Did you use OEM rebuild kits for both?

·
Shootist357
57 Posts
I'd pull the far end of the master line and plug it--see how your clutch handle/master feel then. It should be immediate hard pressure with line blocked, if not, you have a master issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
84 Magna V30

Hello Mike I plugged the hose that goes to the slave cylinder and filled reservoir I then depressed the clutch lever and there was very little to NO resistance on lever. There are no leaks I can find so I guess the next step is to replace the whole master cylinder seeing I have rebuilt it and that didnt fix the problem. Thanks for your reply/help I will let you know how it goes

·
Shootist357
57 Posts
Hello Mike I plugged the hose that goes to the slave cylinder and filled reservoir I then depressed the clutch lever and there was very little to NO resistance on lever. There are no leaks I can find so I guess the next step is to replace the whole master cylinder seeing I have rebuilt it and that didnt fix the problem. Thanks for your reply/help I will let you know how it goes

you may need to bleed the plugged line of most of the air to get a true feel. You can hold it higher than the master and fill the tube then plug it. squeezing the handle slowly a few times before plugging will bleed master.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply I did not use OEM parts which could very well be the problem. I am going to replace the whole master cylinder before I go any further. Will let you know the result

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike I disconnected the hose from the master cylinder and plugged the outlet at the reservoir and still there was no resistance when depressing the lever which leads me to believe it IS the master cylinder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello All and Thank you all for your input on my post. I wanted to let you know that the issue with the clutch on my 84 Magna VF500C was the master cylinder. I had rebuilt it with aftermarket kit which could have been the issue or the acceptable tolerances where not okay. Either way thanks again and on to the next project my 84 Magna VF700C

·
Shootist357
57 Posts
good deal-- nice to keep the old ones going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts