Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Title says it all. I just found some MIVV slip'ons, but it says "Doesnt work with Cat.".
It's the mivv oval carbon slip ons.

I have no idea whether my 04 hornet has a Cat or not. Can anyone help me? :)

·
Left of Centre
3,910 Posts
Very doubtful, but eyeball what's there and check what you can see against a parts diagram..

bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2004-honda-919-cb900f/o/m151218#sch306473

·
McTavish
6,259 Posts
If your 04 is originally a North American 919, it will not have a cat' con' in the Y tube entry position.
I think all Euro' 919s came with them.
All North American bikes got them in the last year of production, noting the associated stainless steel Y tubes instead of black painted carbon steel.
California bikes did not get cat' con's until the last year of production, BUT all along they had vapour recovery systems, hence the little box under the swingarm (that precludes the use of the optional centre stand), additional ports on TB's, and more hoses.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
In the US 02-05 CA bikes had cats. 06-07 all had cats. Euro may be different but easy way to tell is SS Y = cat. Black Y = none.

·
McTavish
6,259 Posts
In the US 02-05 CA bikes had cats. 06-07 all had cats. Euro may be different but easy way to tell is SS Y = cat. Black Y = none.
Can you add more in re how you know for sure?
All these years I've been operating on the basis that the CA bikes not only didn't have cat's all along, but also that they had black painted Y tubes and never got the SS Y tubes until the end.

I just found this, and see you were active on the thread:

I see that I was wrong about the 06's and am clear that they all had SS Y tubes with cat's.
I see your bike had a cat' in the Y tube and too it out.
What year is your bike, and what Y tube material was it?

My only concern is correctness, not who is right or partially right or wrong.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Been following 919s since I bought mine new in August 02. Honda new model releases with year-year changes, Motorush, Hornet's Nest, & WT. 06 was an across the board EPA change year in the US. Both 49 state & CA upped their stds....basically the old CA regs became the 49 state & CA got even toigher. SImilar to how now most bikes are global & folllow the Euro 3/4/5 stds. 06 was the year all the two strokes died in the US accordingly. Banshees, PWC, dirt bikes became closed competition only or disappeared all together. A similar purge just happened due to the change to Euro 5. Bye bye CB1100, FJR1300, et all. My 02 49 state had a black Y stock but I wanted a SS Y so I put one on less the cat since my bike never had one. No point in a black painted Y between SS headers & Satos. The cat is a restriction which causes heat gain & thus requires SS to not cook the paint off. I have several posts on this topic, one that includes part numbers & you can follow those not only thru the Y's but also ECUs. Janet's fitting of a cat Y to an 02 officially sanctioned by Honda in the UK is a story of legend & documented on the Nest. True David & Goliath.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
More info...02-03 the 919 was Euro 1 compliant with no cat. Germany always had a cat & matching ECU...even 02-03. In 04 Euro 2 took effect & all European models got the cat & ECU. Then US in 06. My only assumption is Canada followed along with US 49 state bikes.

·
McTavish
6,259 Posts
More info...02-03 the 919 was Euro 1 compliant with no cat. Germany always had a cat & matching ECU...even 02-03. In 04 Euro 2 took effect & all European models got the cat & ECU. Then US in 06. My only assumption is Canada followed along with US 49 state bikes.
Thanks!
I am quite certain that Canada always got 49 State 919s.
Great info on Germany and Europe, which dovetails well with the ECU maps gathering I have done over the years.
So, CA bikes from day 1 had SS Y tubes and Cat's, not just the Vapour Recovery system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts