Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Rear brake pad replacement.. Help needed

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  undercover919 
#1 ·
I am currently in the process of changing my rear brake pads on my 919 and I have ran into a problem. Unless I am missing something when you turn the "flat head screw" on the rear caliper it will unveil a 5mm allen head that needs to be removed to replace the pads. I am struggling to get this removed as it will not budge. I am assuming it is standard threaded like the "flat head screw" was. Is this correct? I am putting some penetrating lube on it and will be out for dinner and will come back and try it again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

#4 ·
Mike,

Get a 3/8" or 1/2" impact driver (one you hit with a hammer) and hex keys for socket wrenches. These tools are a must have for any motorcycle. One good whack should be enough to loosen up that bolt.

Put a small dab of anti-seize on the threads when re-installing.

#7 ·
like mary said you can use some channel locks and a big flat head.

MAKE SURE its a BIG flat head, im talking one that will span the entire width of the slot... flat heads this size are often too wide for the actual slot, so a file, or angle grinder to take a little off to make a perfect fitting flat head is what i did, works wonders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.