Wrist Twisters - Reply to Topic
Thread: stabiliser Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-01-2011 06:43 PM
mcromo44
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I would like to see opinions from those that HAVE put a damper on their 919's.

I have about 2 weeks worth of 'shake down' rides on my 919 with the Ohlins damper. Sure, I agree it's probably not needed unless your in an extreme case in which your probably F'd anyway..... But there is NO DOUBT a solidness added to the front end of the bike with a couple gentle clicks (as long as you don't over do it). I find that I'm not fighting the bike as much at higher speeds (+100) over semi-rough pavement......I'm also not getting the bars jerked away from me while accidentally hitting rougher pavement. (the Ohlins has a damping circuit that stiffens up the damper during a hard jerk)

I'll admit though.....I'm an aggressive rider, and I like my bikes setup to turn pretty quick.

I would however encourage anyone to try it first before shooting it down.....


Sent from my turbo charged iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a damper could easily be quite useful for the setup you use.
Steepened front ends change the equation.
You've dropped your front in relation to the rear, and not by just a bit.
I've tried to keep mine at the same height in relation to the rear which I have raised.
And your comments about just a few clicks and not going to stiff is spot on.
I've had some front end stuff show on mine at the track, but nothing bad enough.
I'll bet if I rode yours, I get off and say too nervous a nellie for me, while you'd get off of mine and say too much hard work on the bars to get stuff happening fast enough.
04-01-2011 06:25 PM
arctic954 I would like to see opinions from those that HAVE put a damper on their 919's.

I have about 2 weeks worth of 'shake down' rides on my 919 with the Ohlins damper. Sure, I agree it's probably not needed unless your in an extreme case in which your probably F'd anyway..... But there is NO DOUBT a solidness added to the front end of the bike with a couple gentle clicks (as long as you don't over do it). I find that I'm not fighting the bike as much at higher speeds (+100) over semi-rough pavement......I'm also not getting the bars jerked away from me while accidentally hitting rougher pavement. (the Ohlins has a damping circuit that stiffens up the damper during a hard jerk)

I'll admit though.....I'm an aggressive rider, and I like my bikes setup to turn pretty quick.

I would however encourage anyone to try it first before shooting it down.....


Sent from my turbo charged iPhone using Tapatalk
04-01-2011 07:26 AM
mcromo44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Dont wanna start an "oil" type argument but..... while I agree the brace is at the very least a poser piece and worst case accually could cause an issue I disagree about the stabilizer/damper. I had some serious head shake issues out of my 9er under hard acceleration, and as you stated when coming down crossed up. I put an Elcheapo damper from a gsx-r on it and when the shake started it calmed it down right away. I personally will have a damper on my bike if possible always, I hate head shake! Never been through a full blown slapper but Ive seen em.... no thanks.
Head shake is not nice.
No one likes it, nor should they.
Generally, a properly set up dampener will deal with it.
Full blown slappers are a heart in mouth event, had one once (eons ago on my Norton), never want one again.
04-01-2011 07:14 AM
brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
If you want to waste money on something that is not needed and will do nothing on a regular basis, buy a steering damper for a 919.
919s are rock steady with gentle geometry, and even if you manage to upset them, for example coming down from a wheelie with the front wheel off centre for the forward velocity line, it will sort itself out fast all by itself. On the track, they simply are not needed.

Nor does it need a fork brace like the link goes on to display. In fact, highly rigid fork braces are bad news, as any fork that needs a brace is a flexi fork, and unless the brace has some give, you get mega stiction when the forks are flexing because they do not flex symetrically and a good fork brace will have designed in flex to accomodate that. That fork brace is a real good example of a Poser Piece.
Dont wanna start an "oil" type argument but..... while I agree the brace is at the very least a poser piece and worst case accually could cause an issue I disagree about the stabilizer/damper. I had some serious head shake issues out of my 9er under hard acceleration, and as you stated when coming down crossed up. I put an Elcheapo damper from a gsx-r on it and when the shake started it calmed it down right away. I personally will have a damper on my bike if possible always, I hate head shake! Never been through a full blown slapper but Ive seen em.... no thanks.
04-01-2011 05:10 AM
arctic954 Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Being a porn star gets old after a while.......


Sent from my turbo charged iPhone using Tapatalk
04-01-2011 02:16 AM
Pvster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Stiffness varies with tube diameter to the 4th power and length to the 3rd power.
04-01-2011 02:10 AM
schrock86 ^^
03-31-2011 08:34 PM
AllanB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Stiffness varies with tube diameter to the 4th power and length to the 3rd power.
I'm getting that printed on a T-shirt!
03-31-2011 07:29 PM
mcromo44
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
absolutely....... it was that long travel suspension that caused the issues with the XR on the road.

Stiffness varies with tube diameter to the 4th power and length to the 3rd power.
So you don't need much of an increase in length to dramatically reduce its rigidity and increase its deflection for any given load.
03-31-2011 07:16 PM
arctic954 absolutely....... it was that long travel suspension that caused the issues with the XR on the road.

03-31-2011 07:16 PM
sbeau1960 I have a fork brace on my XR650L, also makes a big difference. But totally different set up than the 919, it's simply not necessary on that bike.
03-31-2011 07:13 PM
mcromo44
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I had a Fork Brace on my XR650R. The bike was a road-only supermoto.....the brace made a huge difference. On the XR at 100mph...... you could feel them move.

I don't however feel as though the forks flexing are a major issue with the 919.

Like always though --- I'm always hesitant to DIS anything, until I've tried and tested it. If I knew someone that had one..... I'd try it out for sure. But to be a test monkey for $150....um, I'll pass.
What was the total fork travel and fork tube diameter on the XR ?
The point being a long travel fork changes the equation, as do thinner tubes, and in combination, net a noodley front end.
03-31-2011 07:03 PM
arctic954 I had a Fork Brace on my XR650R. The bike was a road-only supermoto.....the brace made a huge difference. On the XR at 100mph...... you could feel them move.

I don't however feel as though the forks flexing are a major issue with the 919.

Like always though --- I'm always hesitant to DIS anything, until I've tried and tested it. If I knew someone that had one..... I'd try it out for sure. But to be a test monkey for $150....um, I'll pass.
03-31-2011 06:55 PM
AllanB I've seen them too and thought they would be a nice bit of 'bling' - debatable if one is required on the 919 and if it is not a perfect fit it may introduce additional unwanted binding between the seals and fork legs.

Having said that, I made one years back for a Kawasaki with a flexi front end and it cleaned it up a lot. But that was the early 80's with long 35mm forks and front ends have improved a lot since then.
03-31-2011 06:46 PM
arctic954 LOL.....thats what I thought he was asking.

You didn't look at the link.

... He's asking about a Fork Brace, not a steering damper.
03-31-2011 06:45 PM
mcromo44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
So there is one thing i noticed about the 919 and that it has no fork stabiliser at all , is this of any concern with cornering !!!!?.

On my other bike i bought one of these and it really improved it , are the 919s perfectley fine without one or would this be a nice upgrade?


Honda CBR 919 (CB 900 F) 2002-2007, Honda - SuperBrace - The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer
If you want to waste money on something that is not needed and will do nothing on a regular basis, buy a steering damper for a 919.
919s are rock steady with gentle geometry, and even if you manage to upset them, for example coming down from a wheelie with the front wheel off centre for the forward velocity line, it will sort itself out fast all by itself. On the track, they simply are not needed.

Nor does it need a fork brace like the link goes on to display. In fact, highly rigid fork braces are bad news, as any fork that needs a brace is a flexi fork, and unless the brace has some give, you get mega stiction when the forks are flexing because they do not flex symetrically and a good fork brace will have designed in flex to accomodate that. That fork brace is a real good example of a Poser Piece.
03-31-2011 06:41 PM
sbeau1960 It's fine without it. Plenty of flex elsewhere in the frame already, stiffening up the front forks might not be wise.
03-31-2011 06:22 PM
hangster
stabiliser

So there is one thing i noticed about the 919 and that it has no fork stabiliser at all , is this of any concern with cornering !!!!?.

On my other bike i bought one of these and it really improved it , are the 919s perfectley fine without one or would this be a nice upgrade?


Honda CBR 919 (CB 900 F) 2002-2007, Honda - SuperBrace - The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome