yamaha wr250r off road report - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

yamaha wr250r off road report

Took the new bike offroading this weekend on some trails a few hours away in some hilly country up north. This is my first experience offroading a bike so keep in mind I am a complete novice but I am incredibly impressed by this bike. It climbed rocky hills and went through the mud with no problem whatsoever. Easy to handle and more than enough power for a novice and I believe it will keep me very satisfied for years to come. It did not take long to gain confidence in the bike even with all the mud, wet leaves, and wet rocks. The suspension needs a little adjusting for me but overall seems very good, the tires never left the ground unless it was on purpose and took the bumps and rocks very well.

Unfortunately my offroading may be over for the year. On the third day I was riding back to the cabin and going slow through a deep water hole (it had been raining the three days we had been up there) me being a novice I was trying to be very careful and go slow, well I went to slow, the ground was still firm and the back tire slid down into a rut under the water and going so slow I just lost my balance and tipped over. I kept the bike from actually hitting the ground but the water was too deep to matter. Everything filled with water. Put it on the trailer, brought it home and starting tearing it apart Tuesday night. Water in the oil, water in the airbox, water in the exhaust. Spark plug had some grit on it as well as in the exhaust chamber. I'm not going to take any chances of completely ruining the brand new motor so it's going to be completely torn apart, cleaned and put back together. Son of a...

but I had fun up to that point and I am hooked. IMHO dual sport is the way to go as other people have been saying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

take the water fast to use momentum to get you through, or avoid it whenever possible.
sorry, you probably needed to know that beforehand.

glad you had fun.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
take the water fast to use momentum to get you through, or avoid it whenever possible.
sorry, you probably needed to know that beforehand.

glad you had fun.
+1. There is usually a route around a hole like that considering your track is only about 4" wide. A little extra bump on the trottle to lighten up the front end helps to keep the water hitting the bottom of your boots as opposed to your face.

You at least gained the opportunity to learn alot more about your machine mechanically. Good luck with getting her back in the dirt soon.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

bike is running again. I decided to just let my friends dad look at it since i hadn't torn into an engine of any kind in over 10 years (he's been a motorcycle mechanic for about 35 years and works at the yamaha dealer I bought it from) he said it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and it didn't need to be completely torn apart. Took him a little while to get to it, but only $120 later it's running like it was before. Got a little snow friday night but was able to put 125 miles on it this weekend and the lakes are freezing up now so I should be able to ride on the ice in a few weeks.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Centurion

I would have drained it good, bought a drum of oil (I kid..kind of) change oil, & repeated till the used oil quit looking like it had water in it but sounds like its handled. The worse thing to do would be let it sit having done nothing.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

congrats on getting it running without much problem or $$$.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Here , here !

So, how do you like the Yami ? Im wanting to get something lighter/smaller for woods- The trusty DR-Z400E is great and VERY forgiving, but, its a bit heavy at times --

post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Here , here !

So, how do you like the Yami ? Im wanting to get something lighter/smaller for woods- The trusty DR-Z400E is great and VERY forgiving, but, its a bit heavy at times --

I'm loving it. I know it's not nearly as light as a motocross bike but coming from nothing but street bikes it feels incredibly light to me. When I tost rode one the first time I had it up to 78 in 5th gear and never even pushed it to 6th. I haven't pushed mine beyond that but once the motor is broken in I'll ring it out and see what the top speed is, I've heard upper '80's on other websites. It does everything I've expected it to do so far and seems to be a great on/off road bike, especially if you are looking for a smaller displacement.

Bryce, I drained it, removed the spark plug and flipped the bike over to drain anything else as well from the top, then completely filled the engine with oil and poured some in the spark plug hole to fill the top. He drained it shortly after and got the bike running, for some reason it wouldn't go above half throttle so it took him a while to dig into that. there was something pinched. so it didn't sit that whole time with water in it or even nothing in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode