XR this - CRF that??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

XR this - CRF that???

CRF450R - XR650R - XR650L - CRF450X - so many choices and frankly they all start to melt together in my brain.

Let's say, just suppose, I decide to build a motard. I'd want it to be capable of:
1. terrorizing the neighborhood (street legal)
2. mounting a set of knobbies and ripping up the dirt
3. running a set of motard wheels & tires and taking it to the track

I theorize I can build a Honda motard/dirtbike/do-anything bike for cheaper, less hassle and better dealer network than Ducati/KTM/Aprilia will sell me an exotic.

But which one to start with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Centurion

Can you convert a dirt bike in your state? Here you can't so that narrows your list--XR650L, which is obviously the best street mount.

If you can convert they would be in order fo best fit to the street: XR650R, CRF450X, CRF450R.

XR650R--would handle street best of dirt only's. No high strung MX motor, designed to run baja at 100+ for hours.

CRF45X--next best, wider ratio tranny & has a lighting coil (may not suffice for street lighting) but I dont't know if the engine could handle long street trips. Best check around.

CRF450R--no lighting coil at all, close ratio MX tranny.

The dirt orientedness (word?) is the inverse of that list. Decide where you fit in.

post #3 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Can you convert a dirt bike in your state? Here you can't so that narrows your list--XR650L.
hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I don't know if I can or not.

post #4 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Just to add a little fuel to the fire. This is what abruti (Dr. Phil) is finishing up. It is a converted KTM dirt bike that is now street legal.

post #5 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

yep, the KTMs look sick when done up.
I've known a few of them and they are beautiful, but reliability can (not always, but can) be an issue and dealer support around here is practically nil. That's why I'm looking to Honda, there are at least 4 dealers within driving distance, no really specialized tools required and parts are plentiful & cheap.

post #6 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

It looks like the 650L would be the easiest as for modding, and conversion. It is already street legal w/ turn signals, headlight, etc...

Edit: The 450 would look sooo much better as a motard though.

post #7 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Centurion

Hasve you considered the DRZ400/KLX400 SM? Its a factory motard. Has an inverted fork (dirt only has conventional) & comes already set up with the with 17" wheels & street brakes. Has a nice digital gauge package. Not as much poop as the models you mentioned except for possibly the 650L though.

Might be the easiest option to get what you want. I have not done it personally but I think it is cheaper to buy off road rims/tires than the 17" SM wheels & tires. There are a ton of dirt only DRZs around to source wheels from. Just looking at pics it does not appear the suspension is lowered so that should make using it as a dirt bike possible too.

post #8 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

The XR650L hasn't been changed since like 1990 (or so it seems) and finding wheels for Supermotard won't be an easy task (there are a few outh there though) and it is already Street Legal. You CAN NOT just go to the DMV and register a fully Off-Road bike but there are always ways go to go around that if you're willing to travel further north to do the deed

Now, being said that, the XR650L motor is just bulletproof and nothing you do to it will blow it up (unless of course you are Argentinian and spend the whole day on it on the rear wheel and then, blame the bike for oil starvation and the Rod punching a hole on the piston but I don't know anything about that ). Parts are readily available through Honda if there is a need for one. Aftermarket Plastics are also available should you have a bad excursion somewhere, etc, etc.

With a few minor mods you can have it breathing like a vacuum cleaner or you can throw some money on it and get around 55 to 60 hp (could be even more than that but it has been so long since we did one like that)

So, the only other negative here is Asthetics... do you go for a slim-rocket-look-a-like-maintenance-hog Supermotard or the traditional ole-bloated-looking-pig-zero-maintenance supermotard.

Oh my...

post #9 of 30 Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Centurion

Ya it looks lame on the show floor but there are guys running the Aloop seat tank package on XRLs now, looks pretty good...

Obvoiously that has completely different front end, body, etc. Thats why I thought the DRZ SM would be easier.

BTW I had a 98 XR650L I tried to make more dirt oriented ($1500-$1800 worth of aftermarket) but it was just too big, tall, & heavy for me. I did quads for awhile & just got myself a Kawasaki 250S dual sport--no SM a typical dual sport.

post #10 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

In talking to my dealer yesterday, there is a Baja kit for the 450X that aids in converting it to street legal. All total, I think he suggested $2,000 investment over the price of the bike to convert it.

Used CRF450X at my local dealership

post #11 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

starting to add up the cost of bike, conversion and bringing it up to competitive with Aprila's SXV550, and I'm beginning to think it's not worth it. A friend is calling a friend at Aprilia dealership right now.

NO I haven't bought yet, i'm still in research mode.

post #12 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

It adds up quickly. The wheels are 1500, The brakes range around 200-800, Sprockets 80, Enduro Kit 400. I'm building a 426 motard myself. It's going to be too much hassle and money to convert to street. Personally I would get a DRZ 400sm. Find a set of DRZ dirt wheels and be done with it.

post #13 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

DRZ 400SM is about 5-6K depending on location, and what the dealer has added to it. We have a 2006 model w/ Yosh pipe, and a couple of extras for $6,100. Word from Suzuki is a bigger SM in R&D to compete w/ KTM, Aprilia, Duc, etc... No clue as to when they would bring it to market though.

post #14 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Stupid question time!!!
The XR's & CRF's run a 21" front rim. What happens when ya drop down to a 17" to motard it?

Kev... have ya looked at the Husky's?

post #15 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoR6 View Post
It adds up quickly. The wheels are 1500, The brakes range around 200-800, Sprockets 80, Enduro Kit 400. I'm building a 426 motard myself. It's going to be too much hassle and money to convert to street. Personally I would get a DRZ 400sm. Find a set of DRZ dirt wheels and be done with it.
I had my WR converted to street for awhile, Baja kit was $500, DOT tires another couple hundred. It wasn't a Motard though.

post #16 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Haven't considered Husky, worse dealer support than Aprilia/KTM/Ducati.

There's is an Aprilia dealer just a couple miles from here but Suzuki/Yamaha is their mainstay and I doubt they really know the Aprilia.

Unfortunately Suzuki is not on the table. My wife's brother was killed in one of those Suzuki Samurai rollover crashes, and although it's completely unrelated in any way, just mentioning Suzuki in our house brings bad juju. That wouldn't make mama happy which wouldn't make papa happy.

post #17 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Then just call it a DRz 400. Take all the Suzuki stickers off of it. The Aprilia SVX450/550 are amazing. I hear they need the motor rebuilt after 40hrs or so. I can attest that dealer support is lacking with Aprilia. Parts take months to get fortunately mine has been pretty reliable so far. Depending on where your located it can be pretty easy to get a dirt bike registered. Here in CT it's not easy.

post #18 of 30 Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Hey Jet my buddy just bought an Aprilia dirt bike......that crazy V-twin that comes with knobs but is street legal........about 9K....? The RXxxx?

He said the bike was put together like crap (onus...dealership?) and it ran for about 5 miutes before the starter grenaded....

He had #8 in the series.....he kept it b/c he said the 5 minutes he had on it were the sickest 5 minutes of his life...at last word he was still waitng for his starter and some other internal casualties (3-4 weeks)

Anyhoo, if you buy an italian dirty-bike, you might be getting the high maintenance girfriend you asked for.....

Here's my PIG:

It's not a motard (more of an over-grown retard) and now sports a street tire. The deal with these things is they are tuff as nails....you prolly know that this bike was designed to run and run and run in the desert and is some very old school tech. Mine is breathed upon a fair amount including a Piston, Cam, hardened rockers, clutch, Mikuni Flats, and an oil cooler.....I think 50-60HP is a realistic #....but I'm not sure.....I do know she is stupid fast and a real riot to ride.....she's a wheelie waiting to happen......

I don't know much about building a Motard (really just wanted to show you my bike) and I'm sure someone would know better but I will tell you this: Good luck paring alot of weight off this bike. They are big beastly tanks with a great big lump of a motor......

post #19 of 30 Old 02-26-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

I rode motohead's CR250 yesterday and... uhm... dayem! The differences between a CR250 and a CRF230F are nothing less than night and day. He explained to me that the CR250 and CR450 are hardcore purposebuilt race machines. Everything else is more direct consumer level and not built to the uber performance standards. All they share is the CR name, seemingly everything else is different.

If he brings that thing to JoMoCo in March he wont get out of second gear and be ripping berms in no time.

post #20 of 30 Old 06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

there is a nice motard

Quote:
rode motohead's CR250 yesterday and... uhm... dayem! The differences between a CR250 and a CRF230F are nothing less than night and day. He explained to me that the CR250 and CR450 are hardcore purposebuilt race machines. Everything else is more direct consumer level and not built to the uber performance standards. All they share is the CR name, seemingly everything else is different.
well first no such thing as cr450. its a cr125 and a cr250. which are 2 strokes. i assume though that your talking abouting the crf250 and crf450. and yea crf230 is a trail bike were the crf 150r 250r and 450r are racing. they also have 150f 250f and 450f that are more for trails/street use.

post #21 of 30 Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Thanks man. I bought a CRF150F and couldn't be happier.

post #22 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

My CRF250Xsm

Before I bought my 919, I built this urban assault machine based on Team Honda's Supermoto Lite race bike:

This is what it looked like before I did the conversion:

post #23 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

wow, beautiful!

post #24 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Nice!!!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #25 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post

Looks great!! Gotta ask, where do you get those mirrors, and how well do they work on the street for you?

-Joe
post #26 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I should search around first before creating posts...

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Conv...le_mirror4.htm

-Joe
post #27 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
Looks great!! Gotta ask, where do you get those mirrors, and how well do they work on the street for you?
As for seeing behind you, they work just enough. . .you basically look between your elbow and your hip. As for looking left and right, relying on turning your head is best. But, having them made the bike legal. . .and they are definitely out of the way when jumping.

post #28 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I see the plate, was that thing actually legal?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #29 of 30 Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I see the plate, was that thing actually legal?

She sure was legal. . . in California no less!

Mirrors. . .check.
Turn signals. . .check.
Brake/running light. . .check.
Horn. . .check.
Headlight with hi/lo beam. . .check.
License plate. . .check.

There's no way you can get a bike like this legal in California now. The state tightened things quite a bit. She was one of the lucky ones to get a plate.

post #30 of 30 Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

I forgot. . .

License plate light (tiny white LED strip). . .check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
She sure was legal. . . in California no less!

Mirrors. . .check.
Turn signals. . .check.
Brake/running light. . .check.
Horn. . .check.
Headlight with hi/lo beam. . .check.
License plate. . .check.

There's no way you can get a bike like this legal in California now. The state tightened things quite a bit. She was one of the lucky ones to get a plate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode