What is the difference? trail vs motocross - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone is the Cool Dude

What is the difference? trail vs motocross

What is the difference between a bike called trail vs motocross?

For example Honda makes an crf450r (motocross) and a crf450x (trail), one is listed as having a wide ratio trans the other a close spaced ratio.

What are the different characteristics of these bikes and why would one get one over the other?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Dirtbag

The 450r is tuned and geared for small closed tracks like motocross. The 450x is what is used for dirt bike offroading. The 450X will be faster than the 450r, but the 450r will be quicker. It depends if you are going to use it in the woods or out in the wide open.
I ride out in the desert and plan on getting a crf450x as soon the economic down turn is over. The 2009 is fuel injected!
I ride the old xr650r currently.

post #3 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredrider View Post
The 450r is tuned and geared for small closed tracks like motocross. The 450x is what is used for dirt bike offroading. The 450X will be faster than the 450r, but the 450r will be quicker. It depends if you are going to use it in the woods or out in the wide open.
I ride out in the desert and plan on getting a crf450x as soon the economic down turn is over. The 2009 is fuel injected!
I believe that only CRF450R is fuel injected for 09, the X model is still carbed. Generally Mx bikes are lighter, have stiffer suspension to handle jumps better, their engines are tuned to produce more power and have higher RPM limits, but needs to be maintained more often, as with any other competition engine. They also run 19" rear wheel, with shorter profile tire. They have less emissions and noise control restrictions, since they are designed for closed course competition. And the obvious, MX bikes don't have lights , kick stand or electric stater. This doesn't mean that you can't use the R model for trail riding or vise versa , just that you'll get the best performance when each bike is used for what it was designed for.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
the 450r will leave the 450x like its pulling a boat trailer... i took the 1st 450r that we got in at rc when i worked there and that fuel injected beast is incredible.. in 4th gear in the back parking lot it lit the rear tire up and i left a approx 140 foot long blackmark... the 450x is fast .. but will not touch the 450r.. the 09 450r is faster stock than the butler bros full race 08 450r's we were selling... i took one of them around the same parking lot...

that 09 will drift like there is no tomorrow...

post #5 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is the Cool Dude

Cool. Thanks, as usual tons of good info at wristtwisters..

post #6 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Dirtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
the 450r will leave the 450x like its pulling a boat trailer... i took the 1st 450r that we got in at rc when i worked there and that fuel injected beast is incredible.. in 4th gear in the back parking lot it lit the rear tire up and i left a approx 140 foot long blackmark... the 450x is fast .. but will not touch the 450r.. the 09 450r is faster stock than the butler bros full race 08 450r's we were selling... i took one of them around the same parking lot...

that 09 will drift like there is no tomorrow...
You did some burnouts in a parking lot and now you are an expert on speed? How fast can you go in a parking lot? I have reached 100mph on my 650r and the race bikes do 120mph that is fast on the dirt. The bikes are built for two different types of racing and you can't compare the two.

mantelhonda says I can't get a 2009 fuel injected crf450x. Ok I'll wait until 2010 of 2011 if I have to.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
You did some burnouts in a parking lot and now you are an expert on speed? How fast can you go in a parking lot? I have reached 100mph on my 650r and the race bikes do 120mph that is fast on the dirt. The bikes are built for two different types of racing and you can't compare the two.

mantelhonda says I can't get a 2009 fuel injected crf450x. Ok I'll wait until 2010 of 2011 if I have to.
The dealership I worked at was a level 5 powerhouse which means we got bikes before other smaller dealership... I don't know if you have ever been there. (you haven't) the parking lot in the back is huge...

We could and did regularly break triple digits on sportbikes in that parking lot...

The reason they tell you you can't have a 450x with fi is because Honda don't make it..

Once again... The 09 r will leave the x like it's anchored to the ground...

And I know lots about speed.. Like the proper way to stop when I am speeding

post #8 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy S View Post
What is the difference between a bike called trail vs motocross?

For example Honda makes an crf450r (motocross) and a crf450x (trail), one is listed as having a wide ratio trans the other a close spaced ratio.

What are the different characteristics of these bikes and why would one get one over the other?

Just wondering.

Thanks
If your looking for general fun and to have a headlight and tailight get the 250 or 450 x.

If you want a rocket get the r.

Yama makes some great 'trail' bikes also some of the trails one can also be made street legal with adding turn signals. But the race models cannot be

I am sure he will argue but hey what do I know I only sold them for a couple years

post #9 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Dirtbag

Barton664 while you are on your pointless quest to compare apples to oranges remember this one fact you were fired from that job and never again be allowed to do triple digit speeds in their parking lot.

post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Barton664 while you are on your pointless quest to compare apples to oranges remember this one fact you were fired from that job and never again be allowed to do triple digit speeds in their parking lot.
Actually rocketboy I left there in November to go back to my own company..... I have a company that cleans the bottom of boats while in the water .... I was requested by my old manager from that dealership to come work for her at another dealership where every manger got fired not just me .... So once again your talking out your wrong end.... And I still own the diving company.

And I have been called several times to come back to the level 5 dealership

I choose not to return

post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is the Cool Dude

I start such good threads. LOL

post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy S View Post
I start such good threads. LOL
yes you do thank you...lol...

post #13 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Brian,

From what you've heard, does Honda have any plans of a SM bike anytime soon?

I think the CRF450R would make a great SM; probably can take on the SXV550.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Brian,

i'm outta the "loop" now... i have to do like the rest of ya'll and google it now....

they are making the crf230m.............. its not a full on "sm" its got the look and the tire/wheels but with that 17 hp motor... riding one could be considered "s&m"

but to my knowledge not right now... i wish they would... that 09 450r in a sm setup would/should be illegal....lol

post #15 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i'm outta the "loop" now... i have to do like the rest of ya'll and google it now....

they are making the crf230m.............. its not a full on "sm" its got the look and the tire/wheels but with that 17 hp motor... riding one could be considered "s&m"

but to my knowledge not right now... i wish they would... that 09 450r in a sm setup would/should be illegal....lol
are you kidding? who would buy that as SM. I'm not knocking the bike, it serves a purpose as it is, but it's purpose is no where near anything like a supermoto and I can't imagine who would buy in that version.

post #16 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
are you kidding? who would buy that as SM. I'm not knocking the bike, it serves a purpose as it is, but it's purpose is no where near anything like a supermoto and I can't imagine who would buy in that version.
exactlly.... that thing is a turd of monumental proportions... why does honda do this...

they take what could be the coolest thing ever.!! and then they half-a$$ it to death...

we actually got in trouble when they came to do the "launch" of the 09's... they showed us the dn-01 thingie.. and we started mumbleing.. then when this came on screen the laughter started... and the GM got mad at us...

17ish horse power... wow... now if they would put the 250r motor... or that monster of a fuel injected 450r engine.. not the 450x its carb... but the 450r would be the coolest thing ever in a SM setup...

post #17 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

The stock X models are so corked up it should be illegal to charge $7000+ for a bike in that condition. For very little $$ you can change the jetting and open the airbox a little and it's a totally different bike. Honda should deliver them this way.
I own two 450X's and have ridden a number of 450R's (trails, desert, etc. but never drag raced them side by side), and both bikes are amazing for their intended purpose!

post #18 of 20 Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
The stock X models are so corked up it should be illegal to charge $7000+ for a bike in that condition. For very little $$ you can change the jetting and open the airbox a little and it's a totally different bike. Honda should deliver them this way.
I own two 450X's and have ridden a number of 450R's (trails, desert, etc. but never drag raced them side by side), and both bikes are amazing for their intended purpose!
yup..... but the 09 450r fuel injected.... is unbefrickinlievable.... i believe in the 65-70 horse range..... stock!!!!......and the bike is helium light...

the 450x is awesome... but unaltered it is nowhere near the r

post #19 of 20 Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Brian,

I've talked to couple of test riders, and they have not heard anything about a production 450SM. they also said that CRF450R in street legal form would be very high maintenance, and Honda doesn't want to market anything that does not meet their reliability standard.
For now KTM , Husky and Aprilia are the only game town if your looking for a 450SM which is street legal straight from factory

post #20 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The 450x would make a much better SM than the 450r. Wider gear ratios and increased oil volume are just two of the reasons. The "X" just has to be allowed to breath. An interesting fact is that the Troy Lee SM team bikes all use the head from the "X" as it flows better over a wider rpm range creating a much wider torque curve.

Also keep in mind that every Supercross this year has been won by a bike with a carburator on it.

Just sayin'.

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode