What I did on my summer vacation By: RidgeRunner - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

What I did on my summer vacation By: RidgeRunner

[youtube]ZxWdiDp0L3M[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Uhmmm... Ok!

post #3 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

HP2? H20? Walked around a running bike? Spill it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Just a friendly reminder that your local BMW motorcycle dealer offers free test rides if one were so inclined.

post #5 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Do I get a free Starbuck's coffee if I test ride?

post #6 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

so whutup playa? Team making a change?

post #7 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

All cards are on the table as of right now. I am playing out all scenarios of what motorcycle ownership means to me, and what I REALLY enjoy doing with the bike.

Not enough money to support a bike for all activities, so the idea of two multipurpose vehicles has entered.

The options on the table right now are:
1. Sell the Tuono, and pay off HSBC to then purchase two motorcycles. One for my primary riding which will 99% chance be a single cylinder dual sport of 400cc's or larger. The second motorcycle will be more for my wife, but some for me if I choose to excercise the option of touring. If we decide to take off for a weekend together, there are machines for each of us that are suitable for touring within a resonable distance.

The Tuono is a fantastic machine, but it was never what I really wanted. It was one of those deals that just falls in your lap, and you can't refuse it. I enjoy it, but it is far too limited for my desires. Everyone locally that I ride with has given up street riding altogether, and I can't do that. Trackdays are fun, informative, and always make me a better rider, but there is just too much more out ther that I enjoy doing with my motorcycle. Trackdays are spread too far apart to really get total satisfaction from two wheels.

All things considered, the machines I am looking at for my daily-driver break down like this:

1. DR-Z400S: Dual sport, more dirt-oriented than street, but definately not ideal for distance without a Corbin or Renazco seat added.
2. DR-Z400S/M: Motard action. Easy to convert to dirt if I want a dual purpose, but the limiting factor is still distance and the seat/luggage capacity.
3. DR650SE Purpose built dual sport with the ability to go the distance, and carry luggage. Doesn't carry the fun factor of the 400, but covers a broader range of applications.
4. BMW G650 X-Challenge: This is the bike from the video in my first post. Really a fun and capable machine plus a hoot to ride. Rotax engine, 53hp & 44lb/ft of torque. I put it through its paces on interstate, backroads, and some dirt. It chugged right through all of them without a twitch. from 20mph up to 85mph it was happy either way. It needs a seat to make it perfect, and the price is my limiting factor. At $8,500msrp, I am exploring other alternatives. But it is still on the table.

Of all the Suzukis listed, I have not been able to ride any of them, and I am basing an opinion strictly off reviews from other riders. I wish they offered test rides.

For the wife, I am looking at a used Moto Guzzi Breva 750 at my local shop with top case and side cases already fitted. I test rode one of these during the demo days, and it was a really fun and quite capable small touring bike. Very comfortable, and with enough grunt to be fun, and rewarding. I am also looking at the SV-650, Ninja 500, DR-200, and a few others that could prove fun and capable for the both of us.

If I sell or trade the Tuono, I may be able to keep the 125 as well. It still holds a place in my heart, and I don't want to part with it, but if it means I can have a motorcycle for me and my wife, then I will let it go.

post #8 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 04:03 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
All cards are on the table as of right now. I am playing out all sceanrios of what motorcycle ownership means to me, and what I REALLY enjoy doing with the bike.

All things considered, the machines I am looking at for my daily-driver break down like this:

1. DR-Z400S Dual sport, more dirt-oriented than street, but definately not ideal for distance.

Of all the Suzukis listed, I have not been able to ride any of them, and I am basing an opinion strictly off review from other riders. I wish they offered test rides.
I loved my DR-Z400S. It was great for around town and in the dirt. But, for more than a several hour ride, it's tough. I put the Suzuki stock rear rack on it and was able to carry anything I needed on the back.

post #9 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

Of all the Suzukis listed, I have not been able to ride any of them, and I am basing an opinion strictly off review from other riders. I wish they offered test rides.
There is a dealer here in Cornelius, north side of charlotte that has all the bikes mentioned from time to time. Interstate cycles.

They are far enough away from me that I don't get by there much but I have test drove an drz400s/m from them, and i was gonna test an aprillia sxv450 but ran out of time. buzz me if you would like to kill some time there.

post #10 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
There is a dealer here in Cornelius, north side of charlotte that has all the bikes mentioned from time to time. Interstate cycles.

They are far enough away from me that I don't get by there much but I have test drove an drz400s/m from them, and i was gonna test an aprillia sxv450 but ran out of time. buzz me if you would like to kill some time there.
Thanks Adam, I will definately do that. I need to return your tiedown anyway. We'll discuss it more at VIR.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
That's Ducati.

BMW gives you a book on how to be smug.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #12 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post

No, but they did offer me Powerade, or water after the test ride. I wonder if the Starbuck's is only if you test ride the 1200 series? Jet??

He is going to let me know when he receives a G650 X-Country for demo. Same bike with smaller tires, round front headlight, and a mucho better seat.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

I'm not allowed to discuss what you get along with the purchase of a 1200.

post #14 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
That's Ducati.

BMW gives you a book on how to be smug.
Imagine the cloud of smug when BMW releases the new sport touring hybrid.
Ridge, is this the same Touno you got day before yesterday?

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #15 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic11 View Post
Imagine the cloud of smug when BMW releases the new sport touring hybrid.
Ridge, is this the same Touno you got day before yesterday?
If you mean the very same one I got in May, yes. Day before yesterday, I was snoozin' on the couch.

It wasn't exactly what I was searching for after the Strom. It was one of those deals where you either take it or leave it without much thought process. Dive in w/ eyes closed so to speak.

It's an awesome machine, no doubt. I just want more out of it than it can give.

post #16 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Get a used DZ and a good used CBRXX (modify with bags and make it a tourer). All at a great price.

post #17 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Get a 9er. I've heard some people go long distances on them.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Get a 9er. I've heard some people go long distances on them.

I'm still in my rebellious phase. I don't want to turn into my father yet.

And you can't make me.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm still in my rebellious phase. I don't want to turn into my father yet.

And you can't make me.
You're grounded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode