Upcoming purchase - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Upcoming purchase

Hey guys, this seemed like an appropriate place to declare a few things. First, I really want a BMW F800GS as well as a Husky SM610. Whew. With that off my chest, I will be starting with just one of the two, and the SM610 seems like a fun place to start.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows if there is a difference b/w the 2008 and 2009 SM610. I am starting the price shopping game also, and if anyone knows a screaming deal out there please let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

If you want pictures or any specific impression of the 610, let me know.
I have ridden one and have access to it at anytime I want it.
I think it is fun in many regards and lacking in tons of others.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I would love pictures and your impression, and please don't hold back. I know it's not the most practical choice in the world, but it has caught my eye in a big way.

post #4 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I was keeping an eye on this one. It sold last week.

SOLD 2008 Husky SM610

Posted this to give you an idea of pricing.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I was watching that same bike on Supermotojunkie.com. Price seemed where I'd like to spend. I wasn't sure how people were doing on new bike purchase price, as I've found a few leftover '08's across the US. Thanks for the reply!

post #6 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Didnt the Husky's have a broblem with making view holes in the cases ? You know , when the rod decides to let some fresh air in the cases -

post #7 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Micheal asked me to post up here since mine is his backup Motard. I picked up my 08 610 last sept from a dealer in Tennesee for $6300 otd plus $225 to have it shipped here. I had it shipped here and Mike went with me on its maiden ride. 08 and 09 are FI and with alittle work (pipe, 02 bypass and smog pulled), it uncorks and runs great. I have not heard of many problems with the bike other than the speedo glitching out every now and then.

Overall the bike totally rocks for intown and shorter out of town jaunts. I've ridden it up to 5hrs in the twisties and thats about the border for me riding it with the stock seat.

Its powerful enough to get into some serious trouble but not so crazy as to be in triple digits in 2.35 seconds like most superbikes.

I moved from 2 RC51s and a CBR1100XX as previous platforms and this is a very, very nice change. It offroads with alittle finesse, just fine. Urban play is where the bike excells imho. Jumps, wheelies, stoppies and corners are nothing on this thing. I find myself grinning ear to ear every time I ride it. The main problem is not getting cought by the popo and maintaining myself while riding in town.

post #8 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Here's my baby. I've chopped the tail off since this pic and it looks alot better now.

Can't do this on a superbike!

post #9 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks a ton for the write-up and pictures! You've definitely helped cement the idea for me. My biggest hurdle now is finding the bike with the best deal. I'd be willing to ship, but it's so nice to get to look at your bike before the purchase. Speaking with a local dealer, he somehow managed to make an 8,500 sticker turn into about 9,500 after fees, taxes, setup, blah blah. I feel like especially with the economy as it is, I should be able to get one for no more than 7k out the door. Thanks again, I'll be sure to post some pictures when I find the one!

post #10 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oh, and put some gear on!

post #11 of 42 Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdibsie View Post
Oh, and put some gear on!

Roger that! This is my normal attire.

post #12 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Thanks Randy!

Spoiler:
post #13 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

No problem Micheal, glad to help.

Quote:
My biggest hurdle now is finding the bike with the best deal. I'd be willing to ship, but it's so nice to get to look at your bike before the purchase.
No need to look at one if your buying new, I mean yes its nice but not neccessary. Look at cycle trader online and throw some feelers out there in the for sale sections of forums.

Once you find a bike, contact the dealer and set up the deal. Send him you $$ and post a transport bid on Uship.com. Let the transport companies bid on the shipment and vuala you have a new bike show up in your driveway a few days later.

post #14 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Looks like fun, good luck finding what you want!

And +1 on the F800GS, someday I will have one as well. They just need to be on the market a few years before I can find a used one for a decent price.

post #15 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for all the advice. I've never purchased something so major without it being local, so the process is a little intimidating. The only reason I'm looking new is because of some of the deals out there on leftover '08's.

sbeau, I have to say I think I found someone on this forum that has the same taste in bikes. Great looking bike you just picked up!

post #16 of 42 Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAZXX View Post
Micheal asked me to post up here since mine is his backup Motard. I picked up my 08 610 last sept from a dealer in Tennesee for $6300 otd plus $225 to have it shipped here. I had it shipped here and Mike went with me on its maiden ride. 08 and 09 are FI and with alittle work (pipe, 02 bypass and smog pulled), it uncorks and runs great. I have not heard of many problems with the bike other than the speedo glitching out every now and then.

Overall the bike totally rocks for intown and shorter out of town jaunts. I've ridden it up to 5hrs in the twisties and thats about the border for me riding it with the stock seat.

Its powerful enough to get into some serious trouble but not so crazy as to be in triple digits in 2.35 seconds like most superbikes.

I moved from 2 RC51s and a CBR1100XX as previous platforms and this is a very, very nice change. It offroads with alittle finesse, just fine. Urban play is where the bike excells imho. Jumps, wheelies, stoppies and corners are nothing on this thing. I find myself grinning ear to ear every time I ride it. The main problem is not getting cought by the popo and maintaining myself while riding in town.
WTF?! First, sorry to hear that you know Michael. But, when did the riff raff from the XX site make its way over here? Byrdman and now you?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #17 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Neighborhoods going downhill fast, huh!

I was telling Mike last night that there are alot of familiar names on the forum.

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #18 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

k.... so I now have the husky in my garage (but I am not feeling too well).
I stuck it out after the thunderstorms we just had...

Quick impressions from the non-owner...
- Stupid Light
- Immediate torque, but runs out of RPMs quick
- Hard to resist low speed wheelies. Around town riding is begging for a ticket.
- Stoppies are easy
- handles great around sharp corners.

At speed... The most fun time on the bike is changing direction. Things that are tight on a regular street bike are not tight on this. So... Better be ready to be bored if the roads are straight.

Spoiler:
post #19 of 42 Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
k.... so I now have the husky in my garage (but I am not feeling too well).
I stuck it out after the thunderstorms we just had...

Quick impressions from the non-owner...
- Stupid Light
- Immediate torque, but runs out of RPMs quick
- Hard to resist low speed wheelies. Around town riding is begging for a ticket.
- Stoppies are easy
- handles great around sharp corners.

At speed... The most fun time on the bike is changing direction. Things that are tight on a regular street bike are not tight on this. So... Better be ready to be bored if the roads are straight.
Thanks for a slightly different perspective. Still really looking at this bike as my one bike for a while, so I hope it does the trick. Almost all of my riding is shorter trips around town, or some slightly longer trips through some windy roads. Not much of my riding so far has been interstate miles and I don't really have any trips like that planned.

I also wanted to find out if it sounds like a deal to get a new '09 for $7500 OTD. The MSRP is $8499, then they pull the setup costs and all that BS. Silly dealers...

post #20 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

OK.... So I took the 610 to dinner tonight. Maybe 10 miles total trip.

# of stupid boneheaded things that can be done on a bike = 3ish.

Things I learned better about the bike today over yesterdays short trip... The bike is very very happy to engine brake. The rear will go into a slide quickly and happily. After playing with that a little, I am now comfortable with setting the rear out a little before committing to a corner. But it is just for style points. I also learned for most turns, you do not need to slow down at all.

Is the bike fun? Yes.
Is it stupid? Yes.

Depending on the intended purpose, this bike could be great or horrible.

Spoiler:
post #21 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
OK.... So I took the 610 to dinner tonight. Maybe 10 miles total trip.

# of stupid boneheaded things that can be done on a bike = 3ish.

Things I learned better about the bike today over yesterdays short trip... The bike is very very happy to engine brake. The rear will go into a slide quickly and happily. After playing with that a little, I am now comfortable with setting the rear out a little before committing to a corner. But it is just for style points. I also learned for most turns, you do not need to slow down at all.

Is the bike fun? Yes.
Is it stupid? Yes.

Depending on the intended purpose, this bike could be great or horrible.
ok... i missed something here.... what bike is it... post a pic...

post #22 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
ok... i missed something here.... what bike is it... post a pic...
Check post #8 up there

post #23 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Haaaa.................. toldjaso!

Now find some stairs and jumps!

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #24 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I was eyeing the steps in front of the Cavalier Hotel....

Look either side of the 'Cavelier' - the problem is I would probably get arrested. I have done it on a mountain bike and got chased by security. But the MB does not have a liscense plate.

The steps are 4 or 5 groups of 15 or so steps.

Spoiler:
post #25 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Check post #8 up there
sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna ride it.............

post #26 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

That's looks like a blast. I'm jealous on that one. Is that the factory number plate? Looks cool, you can't hardly see the headlights.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

As far as I know, the only changes are the opening up of the air box, exhaust and heated grips.

Spoiler:
post #28 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

I was scoping out those stairs as well Micheal, it has trouble written all over them. You can babyset her for a couple of weeks, my dive trip was blown out AGAIN and I am heading for Maine next week to go camping and kayaking. I'll be back the 16th.

Quote:
As far as I know, the only changes are the opening up of the air box, exhaust and heated grips.
Plus the Lambda bypass with a .02ohm resistor which allows for a alternate map and better performance. Avon Distanza tires for better offroad capabilities. Surprisingly enough I ran the Distanzas at Jennings trackday and was very impressed with the traction while kneedragging.

post #29 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Final question for the SM610 riders: Could you see yourself with just this one motorcycle?

I'm speaking with a dealer and it sounds like it may be a go if I give the word. There goes the neighborhood...

post #30 of 42 Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

I went from 3 bikes a 2000 CBR1100XX, 02 RC51 race bike and matching 03 RC51 street bike at one time, down to the SM.

IMO the Sumo is the ideal allrounder. As long as your rides are under 6hrs and have twisties to play in, its the perfect bike. You will need to throw a seat on as the stock seat sucks on long rides but other than that a set of bark busters and some dual sport tires and its the perfect bike.

My.02

post #31 of 42 Old 08-01-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAZXX View Post
I went from 3 bikes a 2000 CBR1100XX, 02 RC51 race bike and matching 03 RC51 street bike at one time, down to the SM.

IMO the Sumo is the ideal allrounder. As long as your rides are under 6hrs and have twisties to play in, its the perfect bike. You will need to throw a seat on as the stock seat sucks on long rides but other than that a set of bark busters and some dual sport tires and its the perfect bike.

My.02
That's all I needed to hear. The bark busters are a must, and it sounds like there are a few seat options. Thanks again for all the help. I can't wait to get some pictures up!

post #32 of 42 Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Glad to help!

Since getting this bike and riding it. Its made a believer out of me. A supermoto is the funnest bike I have ever ridden, bar none! In town urban assaults, twisties, dirt, trail, track, damn near anything you can throw at it other than highway drooning. The Husky SM610 does it all.

post #33 of 42 Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Tough call on bikes. I can get much better deal on a new '07, which is carbed instead of FI. have you found the FI on these bikes to be smooth, or is it pretty snatchy? I was surprised to read that someone on supermotojunkie.com said they would rather have the carbed version for performance reasons. Not making my life easier...

post #34 of 42 Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

For here in CO, Fuel injection is nice though, just because it compensate for all the elevation changes

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #35 of 42 Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Tough call on bikes. I can get much better deal on a new '07, which is carbed instead of FI. have you found the FI on these bikes to be smooth, or is it pretty snatchy? I was surprised to read that someone on supermotojunkie.com said they would rather have the carbed version for performance reasons. Not making my life easier...
The FI on mine is smoove like butta. It really smoothed out with the lambda bypass and Leo installed. I think someone that does not ride in any elevation (flat landers) would like the carb better for the simple fact that they can set it, jet it and forget it. If you like riding in the mountains, FI is going to be beneficial vs carb.

An 07 is naturally going to be cheaper, its a year or two older and MSRP was less than the 08/09.

post #36 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Somebody may have to explain this one to me. I'm planning on financing only a small portion of the SM610. Anyway, after filling out a finance application I got denied (in friendlier terms). Now, I've had a credit card for about six years with never missing a payment. I've financed a motorcycle before and made the payments for about a year before paying the rest off. I've been pre-approved for a $180,000 home. How do I not get financing for about $2,500 on this bike?

I know the answer is blah blah economy sucks. Just ranting really. Not giving up though, it's still happening!

post #37 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Dude, I feel for ya.

Spoiler:
post #38 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Somebody may have to explain this one to me. I'm planning on financing only a small portion of the SM610. Anyway, after filling out a finance application I got denied (in friendlier terms). Now, I've had a credit card for about six years with never missing a payment. I've financed a motorcycle before and made the payments for about a year before paying the rest off. I've been pre-approved for a $180,000 home. How do I not get financing for about $2,500 on this bike?

I know the answer is blah blah economy sucks. Just ranting really. Not giving up though, it's still happening!
i bet you money they ran it through HSBC bank... they are being dicks right now and denying people who are worthy..

you are better off going to your local bank and getting a personal loan for that amount.. (or your credit union)...

i got turned down for a sears card the other day....

i have a 700 credit score and have NEVER missed a payment on ANYTHING.....

i have 3 paid off bikes with honda
1 paid off mercedes benz
3 paid off chrysler/jeeps...

don't feel bad...

post #39 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oh, and my credit score was over 770. Beeches...

Thanks though, needed to hear it from someone else. I'm thinking my credit union will be the way to go.

post #40 of 42 Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Oh, and my credit score was over 770. Beeches...

Thanks though, needed to hear it from someone else. I'm thinking my credit union will be the way to go.

i was a finance manager at a bike dealership here in ft lauderdale... there is NO reason for a score that high to be denied...

your credit union will loan you that in a snap... you'll be happier with your credit union...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode