Trans-America Trail - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-29-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,704
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Trans-America Trail

Has anyone done any part of it? The TN section looks awesome. I think I'll make it part of my '08 riding season.

about the trail:
http://www.transamtrail.com/about/

This guy just did a bunch of it & posted some pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225458

(sorry if it's politically incorrect to post links to other forums :chris: but this looks so fun!)

gpzTurbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Power 2 the pedal
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 10,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Looks to be primarily dirt roads, which bike would you take?

Ridge is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,109
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

It recommends at least 400cc. Definately a dual sport or even better just dirt bike. Those deep river crossings say to me...where's the ferry truck.

dream is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

That looks sweet! I used to have the WR plated and still have everything from Baja designs sitting in boxes......hmmmmm do I really want to put it back on?




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Power 2 the pedal
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 10,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I have found an enduro kit for the 125. It adds a battery, stator, headlight, taillight, and i'm not certain, but it could hav turn signals as well. Ha! wouldn't that be a trip to see coming down the street?

Ridge is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I have found an enduro kit for the 125. It adds a battery, stator, headlight, taillight, and i'm not certain, but it could hav turn signals as well. Ha! wouldn't that be a trip to see coming down the street?
Especially when you get blown away by a 70 year old woman on a Vespa scooter.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Site Founder
 
jetblast10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 9,698
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

TKC80's on the GS and I'm prettymuch ready to go.

jetblast10 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,704
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Looks to be primarily dirt roads, which bike would you take?
If you look at the site, that guy mapped a route 3/4 across the country consisting of mostly dirt roads.
I have a ktm520 tagged for the street. I'm hoping to ride in the Colorado 500 this August.
dadogs - throw the lites & tag back on & you can do that Quarry Run in Hancock NY
where I grew up, one guy pulled the tag off his little dual-purpose, put it on his 3 wheeler, and rode it around town. We had one only cop there and he left everyone alone as long as there was no trouble. ah, the good old days ('70's)

gpzTurbo is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
If you look at the site, that guy mapped a route 3/4 across the country consisting of mostly dirt roads.
I have a ktm520 tagged for the street. I'm hoping to ride in the Colorado 500 this August.
dadogs - throw the lites & tag back on & you can do that Quarry Run in Hancock NY
where I grew up, one guy pulled the tag off his little dual-purpose, put it on his 3 wheeler, and rode it around town. We had one only cop there and he left everyone alone as long as there was no trouble. ah, the good old days ('70's)


Ahhhhh I hear ya, "the good ole days". I used to ride my Maico 250 to High school in Colorado. The cops didn't bother me or mind as long as I kept to the alleys. Brobably didn't hurt either that my Step-Mother was the county finance director and wrote their checks as well.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Hey GPZ, even though I'm not "street legal" we should try to find a place to go throw a little roost in te dirt.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,704
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sweeeet. Your area is supposed to have great dual-sportin/off roadin. What about it?

gpzTurbo is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Sweeeet. Your area is supposed to have great dual-sportin/off roadin. What about it?

Only if it is on private property......friggin greenies have had laws inacted that only allow 4 wheelers with registered tags on public lands. They claim that the 4 wheelers do less damage to the enviroment and land (BS!!!). If you enjoy 2 wheels in the dirt you're screwed.....That is, unless you can procur land and open your own motorsports park (of which I've been working on for 4 years) you're pretty limited.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Power 2 the pedal
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 10,093
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Same way in N.C. I wanted to take the dirtbike with me to the Outer Banks. No dice... ATV's are allowed, but no motorcycles?????

Ridge is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I'm sorry but an ATV can do a lot more surface area damage than a 2 wheeler. At my local MX park (which is no longer there) The ATV's had their own 2 tracks. Reason being is they tore up the Supercross and MX tracks and the 2 wheelers didn't appreciate it.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,704
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Opposite here. In Wharton State Forest & Lebanon S.F. tagged, registered bikes are allowed but none of those 4 wheeled hoodlums. BMW's members-only offroad club just held the Pine Barrons 300 a few weeks ago out there. I guess they wouldn't allow other brands to participate in fear of looking bad. Haha.

Have you ever heard of a place called Reading Anthracite? Some type of mining area outside Reading that I heard you can get a day or wknd permit to go hellraising. I'll try to find out more. PA has some great dual sport riding.
There's an event in June out near State College (Lock Haven) 6/2-6/3. Info @ http://www.durtydabbers.com/Durty_Da...Flyer_2007.pdf . I got my buddy's camper reserved for the trip.
South Jersey Enduro Riders' dual sport is 6/17. That's just a few miles from me and is also out where I got my a$$ kicked in March in my first enduro race.

Just tag it and insure it, you don't have to put all the lights back on. It's too nice to keep in the garage all Summer!

gpzTurbo is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 05-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Official thread derailer
 
dadogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pocono Mts PA
Posts: 11,015
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Opposite here. In Wharton State Forest & Lebanon S.F. tagged, registered bikes are allowed but none of those 4 wheeled hoodlums. BMW's members-only offroad club just held the Pine Barrons 300 a few weeks ago out there. I guess they wouldn't allow other brands to participate in fear of looking bad. Haha.

Have you ever heard of a place called Reading Anthracite? Some type of mining area outside Reading that I heard you can get a day or wknd permit to go hellraising. I'll try to find out more. PA has some great dual sport riding.
There's an event in June out near State College (Lock Haven) 6/2-6/3. Info @ http://www.durtydabbers.com/Durty_Da...Flyer_2007.pdf . I got my buddy's camper reserved for the trip.
South Jersey Enduro Riders' dual sport is 6/17. That's just a few miles from me and is also out where I got my a$$ kicked in March in my first enduro race.

Just tag it and insure it, you don't have to put all the lights back on. It's too nice to keep in the garage all Summer!
I wish it were that simple....PA is pretty lax on their "plating" rules but you have to have lights, speedo, DOT tires ect before they'll allow you to get a plate.

If you find something that we could do minus licensing I would be VERY interested.

Also I have heard of Reading Antharcite but I've never been there.




Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
dadogs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome