Tire Irons? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Tire Irons?

Well this season has been more in the dirt than on the street. It has come to the time that I need to mount up a new set of skins. I plan to do the exchange myself and am looking for advice on the purchase of tire irons.

With the wealth of knowledge here on all things two wheeled I hope somebody can lend some advice.

What is the best length iron to use?
What is the best number of irons to have on hand?
Is a Bead Buddy enough of a time saver, advantage to justify the cost?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Not a direct comparison buy in my case I found short 6" spoons to be more convenient bacause they are easier to work with. The exception to this would be if they don't provide you enough leverage... the only reason to go larger.

I had 3 available and used 2.

IMHO mounting/holding the rim is one of the most critical aspects when it comes to keeping the cursing to a minimum. Everything becomes much easier if the rim is clamped and in a convenient working postition.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Thanks for the heads up in the rim holding area. I found an extra axle to mount in a plate that I can in turn mount in a vice. I think it should hold it pretty steady.

I picked up a set of three 11" spoons. Should reduce the effort some.
Thank you for the input.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

If you have a little cash ($200) you can pick up one helluva tire changer at Harbor Freight. The changer and motorcycle wheel adapter will run you $100. Then go to the no-mar changer site and buy their bar w/ delrin ends so as not to gouge your wheels. The HF tire changer even has a bead breaker.

FWIW, I have two spoon style irons and one has a built in 27mm wrench for my rear axle. I also have the bead buddies in my tool kit, but I've never used 'em.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
If you have a little cash ($200) you can pick up one helluva tire changer at Harbor Freight. The changer and motorcycle wheel adapter will run you $100. Then go to the no-mar changer site and buy their bar w/ delrin ends so as not to gouge your wheels. The HF tire changer even has a bead breaker.
I have that exact setup at home. I even fabricated plastic clamps for the MC tire attachment to prevent maring of the rim.

The no-mar bar didn't do as well as expected (based upon the movies and demo I had seen) but the entire setup has paid for itself in one season with 4 tire changes.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

FWIW, I have two spoon style irons and one has a built in 27mm wrench for my rear axle. I also have the bead buddies in my tool kit, but I've never used 'em.
I would like to invest in a setup like this but for all practicality purposes it is a little much. I am leaning toward something I can keep in the truck in case the need arises. If and when my demand for more frequent tire changes comes I will look into this. Thank you.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

It's a time vs. money vs. patience vs. bloody knuckles vs. satisfaction thing.

Here's to finding your own happy medium

post #8 of 9 Old 08-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have used 11" tires irons and they worked great. A lil tip that helped me from scratching up my rims: Buy some of the plasti-dip stuff and put a couple of coats on the ends of the tire irons. Works great.

For a working surface I built a 19" square box out of 2X4's.

I used 3 tire irons when doing mine. Especially when putting the new tire on, getting that second bead over the rim.

Good luck!

post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 AM

i use to use 2 12 inch spoons on my biys dirtbike.....spent the money and got a No-Mar jr pro...had it 3 years noe and many tires later still holding up....me and a few buddies went in on it and everyone uses it....local dealer wanted $50 a tire....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode