thinking bout a new dirt bike - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

thinking bout a new dirt bike

used 97 honda cr250 is it worth $1450? supposely great condition oh yea never rode a dirt bike !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Well, that is more bike than I want. 250's are beasts! To me, it is similar to a newb on a liter bike.

FYI, I was looking at an 03 CRF250 for the same price. I was ready to follow through on the deal and he backed out. So I bought my new drumset instead.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Centurion

What do you plan to do with it? A 2 stroke MXer may not be the best if you want to put put. Having never ridden a dirt bike I strongley suggest you drive a 250 2 stroke before committing to buy one. They are quite different from what a street bike is & interesting to say the least.

BTW I had several dirt bikes including a 94 CR250. Ill sum up the power band in 1's & 0's...0000009900...yea, thats it in 1's & 0's. (please catch my humor, I am aware there are no 1's).

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM

If you've never ridden a dirtbike it would be in your best interest to start on something a little more subdued, imho. A 250 mx'r can be a real handful if you've never had any experiance with anything like it. Like Bryce said, it's a whole different world from the street. Unless you plan on training to be an MX star, get yourself a nice trail machine with a dependable engine and a torquey powerband. You'll enjoy your learning experiance much more. Then, if you decide after some seat time that you'd like an explosive top end to play with, sell it and go that route, at least thats what I would do.

Btw, I've owned bikes from 125cc 4 strokes to 465cc 2 cycles in the dirt bike class, and everything in between.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
used 97 honda cr250 is it worth $1450? supposely great condition oh yea never rode a dirt bike !
guy i work with sold his '05 RM125 for $1800 3 months after he bought it... and go 4-stroke

post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Call me one weekend when you want to/can ride, and i'll set you up on my DRZ-125. I think after a day on that, you will see how much fun can be had on a four stroke. Depending on what you want to do with it (trail riding, straight up track only, or hooligan fun). I have way more fun than should be legal with the 125.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

AJ, what type of riding are you planning on doing? I've raced motocross, have several state title and have won several amateur Nationals. Been racing for 16+ years although I have not been riding much lately. 2 strokes are made to be running pretty open, not putting around trail riding. If that what you plan on doing I suggest a 4 stroke. Actually, either way, I suggest a 4 stroke. If you plan on taking it to an MX track, then I do not suggest something like a 230. The suspension will not handle much. If you do plan on taking it to the track, a 250 4 stroke would be my suggestion. But, they have high performance engines ion them compared to say a 230, which means a tad more maintenance.

I lost all of my pics when my computer crashed last year. Need to take some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocala.jpg (42.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Bartow.jpg (19.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (147.0 KB, 21 views)

post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Call me one weekend when you want to/can ride, and i'll set you up on my DRZ-125. I think after a day on that, you will see how much fun can be had on a four stroke. Depending on what you want to do with it (trail riding, straight up track only, or hooligan fun). I have way more fun than should be legal with the 125.

will do!!

post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post

Never rode a 2-stroke dirt bike? Dude....that's not a beginners bike in the least. The power band of a CR250 will take your arms out of the sockets if you let it. Definatley take James up on his offer and try his lil 125 four banger first. Take little steps and I would agree with Motohead on a 230 or smaller if you're just play riding. Even the new 250 four strokes have amazing snot for their size. As a first dirt bike I would tend to shy away from 250 2-strokes and the 400-450 four strokes.

Oh yeah, the bigger bikes will tire you out twice as fast.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Yeah dude...250 2 stroke ain't no joke.....

I used a 1997 CR250 for trail riding and it was fun, but it's not the best trail bike....a little to stiff. Never fouled a plug though and when the trail opened up I could gap anybody with less than a big-bore, even give a CRF450 a good run....and I weigh 200 lbs.

Anyways in the trails it would reward you if you rode it really hard, but it would beat the crap outta ya.

I'm sure it's a competent MXer but I am not so I will leave the expert analysis to dudes like Moto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode