SW West Virginia & Hatfield McCoy trails - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

SW West Virginia & Hatfield McCoy trails

So I've decided to take a summer vacation next year (We are busiest during the summer at work but I've decided to say F it for once, I've never taken a vacation during the summer in the 11 years I've worked there) My wife and I have decided to try the Hatfield McCoy trails we keep seeing on the offroad shows on the outdoor channel. I've started checking some things out online but just curious if anyone here has been there?

My wife won't want to ride trails everyday so I am going to bring my supermoto wheels to do some paved riding through the mountains as well. So I am also curious if anyone knows any good highways to ride in SW West Virginia as well.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I've been several times and every time was an adventure!

Check the website for which trail fits your riding style and if you happen to hit the Little Coal River Trail head, stop in at Kathern's Kabins and kick the old bastard that runs it in the nuts... He's a good ol boy and was the former Sheriff, so believe me when I say that he has the GOOD moonshine in his cabin!!! Great place to stay with affordable rates and right on the trail system.

I really want to visit Royal Blue in Tennessee. Seems to be a very nice system with easy trails and great views.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post

Check the website for which trail fits your riding style and if you happen to hit the Little Coal River Trail head, stop in at Kathern's Kabins and kick the old bastard that runs it in the nuts... He's a good ol boy and was the former Sheriff, so believe me when I say that he has the GOOD moonshine in his cabin!!! Great place to stay with affordable rates and right on the trail system.

I really want to visit Royal Blue in Tennessee. Seems to be a very nice system with easy trails and great views.
I've looked a little on the website, I was actually leaning towards Kathern's Kabins from what I saw so far so I'm glad you mentioned that. I want to hit at least a few of the trail systems but will probably just stay somewhere for the week and trailer to the different trails.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)

post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post

amen ripper

when we went he WAS the sherrif and i STILL have the peach moonshine he gave me. good people,i've got his business card around here some where
great riding and a very nice place

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

VACATION

Good for you Matt. I haven't been there, but the guy who was with me when you and I met on my 2008 midwest trip has been there a couple times on his four wheelers. If you want his contact info PM me and I'll hook you guys up. From what he has said it is a great time, ride all day relax in peace and quiet all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
So I've decided to take a summer vacation next year (We are busiest during the summer at work but I've decided to say F it for once, I've never taken a vacation during the summer in the 11 years I've worked there) My wife and I have decided to try the Hatfield McCoy trails we keep seeing on the offroad shows on the outdoor channel. I've started checking some things out online but just curious if anyone here has been there?

My wife won't want to ride trails everyday so I am going to bring my supermoto wheels to do some paved riding through the mountains as well. So I am also curious if anyone knows any good highways to ride in SW West Virginia as well.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ya know, Royal Blue is just an hour or so from Maryville, where I'm planning on staying during the Wrist Twisters gathering April 30-May 2.

Anyone want to throw some dirt riding in with the street ride planned at the Gap that weekend?

post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I have always wanted to ride this trail system.

I've talked to lots of people who have and no one has a bad word to say about it.

I just love the idea of being able to ride from town to town (and through town) on a dirt bike.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Deadman

Tail of the Dragon, road and dirt trails

If you are willing to go just a bit more south, you can run the Tail of the Dragon and there are dirt trails available there also. Easy to find info on the net. Like some company, let me know. I am always up for more practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode