Stock KLR in the dirt - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Stock KLR in the dirt

So, this thing is definitely growing on me. I had the opportunity to bring the KLR onto a buddy's personal MX track, some off-road single tracks and sand pits. It's been many many years since I've been off-road. Since I don't have any guards on the bike at this time, I was taking it a bit limp wristed. It was mostly a 1st and 2nd gear ride all the time. Though the bike is a bit heavy, it's not outrageous or unmanageable. The arms and legs definitely got a workout. I am in some pretty sucky shape!

The bike is stock for now. If I were to be spending more than 50% of my riding time off-road, I would definitely drop one tooth in the front.

The stock tires are decent in the hardpack, shallow mud, and shallow creek crossings. Sand is not a friend of the stock tires.

The stock suspension settings, I didn't adjust, are extremely soft. Fully geared I'm at about 260lbs. Big whoops and small jumps bottomed out the bike.

IMHO, the bike does need a bit more umph. Not a crazy amount, just a bit. With that bit coming on a bit quicker.

The bike is a good compromise for me at this time. A KTM Super Enduro 950 would be much too much bike for me at this time and not a good distance bike for the roads. I think the BMW R1200GS Adventure would not be as much fun for me as the KLR. Also, the GS Adv would be extremely heavy for the type of things I was doing today.

Time to go and clean it a bit and start ripping it apart. Let the transformation begin!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Was sitting outside at our tavern Thursday night having a beer when a guy pulled up on an older KLR covered with mud. Chatted with him for awhile, said it was the second one he's owned and he loved it. Has a Harley as well, which surprised me, but not sure why.

These things keep popping up in my consciousness, that's probably an omen that one will appear in my garage sometime soon.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Great..........now ya got me thinking about keeping my dr-z400sm!! I did have a klx 250s (newer style) that was fun. It was a slug but simply fun. When you got a blonde..........you want the brunette.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Great..........now ya got me thinking about keeping my dr-z400sm!! I did have a klx 250s (newer style) that was fun. It was a slug but simply fun. When you got a blonde..........you want the brunette.
Smitty, you're just down the road from me and several other members around here. Keep the DR.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Have fun these upcoming weeks tough guy!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #6 of 9 Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Have fun these upcoming weeks tough guy!
I just did 300 miles to Americade to meet up with a few of the folks on here. Was hoping to get the stock seat done ... they were shut down. Sore a$$ here we come!

post #7 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

KLR Is Dead For Now.

KLR is out of commission for now!

Well, I put on new 606's with heavy duty tubes today. All is even balanced. Went with spoke weights instead of the adhesive weights and duct tape route. Also tied all spokes.

My ride the other day caused a terrible rubbing/scarpping sound from the chain. The chain was loose and stretched from the log and rock hang-ups and I did road side adjustments. Still a horrible rub/scrap sound. The rubber guides got all chewed and discarded, but only minimal scratches and grind on the swing arm. I took off the chain when the rear wheel was off and all was good with the front sprocket. Chain is a bit stiff, but still good. I was puzzled.

Then I notice the bottom sub-frame bolt was missing on the chain side. Also, the frame down tube was bent from my fall on the large rock. Then I saw it! The inner welded flange that held the nut for the sub-frame bolt was bent and curled forward. I'm guesstimating the chain had enough slack and caught the welded frame bolt and rolled the flange over. Note good. No easy way to fix it and half the tang is gone.

I should do the proper thing and buy a new frame. The next best option is to dismantle the bike and have a new tang machined and welded on. The easiest and worst option is the take off the rear wheel and swing arm. Salvage what is left of the existing tang/flange, drill a hole into it and use a tab washer on that side and a bolt and nut through the good tang.

UGH!

post #8 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

wow. that's not good at all.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That is a design defect! Trade it in for the 09' 650GS!

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/...Section=enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode