SHINKO'S NEW 180/55 DUAL SPORT . . . . . . - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

SHINKO'S NEW 180/55 DUAL SPORT . . . . . .

#

%

@

sort of.

Groovy, eh?

I had grown weary of waiting for somebody to produce a 180/55/17 with a bit more aggressive tread but I wasn't ready to go full bore with the TKC80, especially at well over $200 a copy. I originally settled for the Dunlop D616 which was alright but I couldn't make it to 4,000 miles. The Shinko 009 Raven reviews well, has a harder compound and is way cheap. I got the idea about a year ago when I put a set of Ravens on my son's bike and noticed the relatively deep grooves and angular tread pattern. Months pass and rather than feed more D616 rubber to the beast, I decided to go for it. I clicked on the Ravens and a tire grooving tool.

Granted, this is an experiment. Heck, the tire could fly apart tomorrow. There's a learning curve too. I filleted my finger loading the blade, in spite of the explicit instructions to wear gloves and use caution. I practiced on the old Dunlop.

I realized this would take lots of practice. The cuts are not picture perfect but there were no major screw-ups and the tire should function - as well as it will. I'll order my next one early and take my time. I'll get better at it.

So, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME but If you're crazy enough to, I suggest making a few identical cuts at a time allowing rest in between. I can see getting fatigued and getting in a hurry and making mistakes. I was prepared to risk ruining a cheap tire but nonetheless, didn't want to. I'll tackle the front in a day or two. It will be more delicate. :coffee:

Oh yeah, here's the "before & after" pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You're a brave man. I've never seen or heard anyone doing that to moto tires. Have others successfully done something like this or are you pioneering?

My buddy took me out snow wheelin on his Suzuki Samurai and the before/after feel of cutting in grooves on his giant tires were very noticeable!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
You're a brave man. I've never seen or heard anyone doing that to moto tires. Have others successfully done something like this or are you pioneering?

My buddy took me out snow wheelin on his Suzuki Samurai and the before/after feel of cutting in grooves on his giant tires were very noticeable!
2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 & Stephane Peterhansel 'off road in the dunes of Merzouga (Morocco)' compilation - YouTube

Tire grooving is actually pretty commonplace in many forms of racing. I guess the availability of myriad tread patterns for specific motorcycle applications makes hand grooving unnecessary. However, as I'm sure you know, there's nothing out there in a 180/55/17 to fill the void between the D616 and the TKC80. That's why I took matters into my own hands.

I just completed grooving the front. I had to proceed more gingerly as the front tire isn't nearly as robust as the rear. I elected not to cut as many grooves as originally planned leaving the center for upright highway wear. I learned the blades should be changed often, with each tire I guess.

The new front tread pattern isn't exactly what I had in mind but I'm pleased. I consider the rear a success because there is no adventure touring tire on the market in that size. I don't know if I'll re-groove another Shinko font though, since I can simply buy a 120/70 Avon Distanzia that's ready to go. We'll see.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Pierre-Marc

Ken...will be interesting to see how those work out for you. As you probably
know tire siping is popular with the dirt trackers and they make a hot knife
to cut the knobs on dirt bike tires when they get rounded off, but I've never heard of someone doing it to a street tire. Can't wait for the ride report...
start out slow

post #5 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Imaginifer

When I saw the title I thought it's about time somebody made them, ...

but nooooooo.

Nothing like taking the bull by the horns and showing him who's boss. I don't see any reason this won't work well. Keep us posted on how it performs.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 AM
02 919

So how's it ridin need updates

post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Barrel View Post
So how's it ridin need updates
I have ridden 600 miles on the groove job so far - half of which on a little road trip yesterday. I rode in a good bit of rain and on a familiar wet gravel and hard pack dirt road and I must say the bike felt more planted than with any street tire on the same road. I am just as impressed and more surprised at the improvement in the front tire's performance as the rear's. I can't tell any difference in the Shinko's before and after on the highway but I did learn something else. A year ago I did the fork mod and the Dunlop D616 at the same time and the bike got a bit twitchy over 80mph. I don't do that often so it hasn't been a problem. Now that I have the Shinko up front the bike is solid as a rock at high speed. The D616 was designed for the Uly - I glanced at a review of the Ulysses recently and guess what? I saw the word "twitchy" in the review.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM
02 919

Call Dunlop they owe you some money then. It's great that it works so well an excellent mod that's pretty much free.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

UPDATE: So when I bought the bike it still had the original rubber that was about due for replacement so I didn't push the envelope. My tire choice was the D616 which made the front end twitchy @ 80+ mph so again I didn't push it. I put on the Shinko Raven and rode a couple of weeks before the groove job and noticed a minimal amount vertical runout but I thought, "cheap tire, what the heck." Lately, since the Shinko is so much more stable at higher speeds than the Dunlop, I find myself spending more time there. But when I do I detect a vibration. I gave the tire a copious visual inspection and found nothing. I pulled it off and gave the wheel the spin test - spot on. I noticed the left rotor displaying a small amount of vertical runout but I don't thing it's enough to cause a vibration. As a precaution I ordered another Raven and put it on today. The spin test looked good, much better than the last one. I'll put a few miles on it before I get out the hot knife.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode