Riding on Frozen Lakes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Riding on Frozen Lakes

Does anybody here have any experience? Willing to share tips and advice on equipment and what to know about riding ice? I need some type of winter activity. I suffer terribly from cabin fever if I do not get the chance to get out and burn some energy. I am not willing to purchase a snowmobile as i do not really need another toy to store in the offseason and Ice is usaully pretty common in these parts for the next few months. I apprecciate any input and advice. Thank you.

141_0603_ww_ice_race_02_s_canada_motorcycle.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I was going to try it this year as well. There a couple people I work with that plow a track every couple of weeks and race. I haven't really looked into it too much yet other then checking out ice stud options on the internet but if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to ask for you.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

I tried taking my old XL175 out on a lake once with no studs.

It was a very very very very very very very very very stupid idea.

But since the topic was brought up, did anyone catch the Superbikes episode where they were ice racing in Wisconsin? It was pretty slick. I guess one of the new squidish things to do is to stud your sportbike tires from the inside out and seal them with goo, then go stunting around on a lake.

If you decide to put studs on your 919, I'll bring a camcorder!

post #4 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I ordered some used tires off ebay a couple days ago with these studs. I figured for $20 it was worth a try and a starting point. I asked the guy that sits next to me at work what his dad used and he said they use the Kold Kutter screw studs with an old street tire with no tread left inside the tire (in between the studded tire and an inner tube) so none of the points of the screws came through and popped the inner tube.
At this point I am sure I will be adding some of those screws to the tires I bought but we'll see what happens. I'm not really looking to race at this point, I just want to get out and ride rather than having the bikes parked for 5+ months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stud.jpg (17.1 KB, 13 views)

post #5 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
I ordered some used tires off ebay a couple days ago with these studs. I figured for $20 it was worth a try and a starting point. I asked the guy that sits next to me at work what his dad used and he said they use the Kold Kutter screw studs with an old street tire with no tread left inside the tire (in between the studded tire and an inner tube) so none of the points of the screws came through and popped the inner tube.
At this point I am sure I will be adding some of those screws to the tires I bought but we'll see what happens. I'm not really looking to race at this point, I just want to get out and ride rather than having the bikes parked for 5+ months.
Thanks for the info on the screws. I have been keeping my eye out myself for some tires. They seem to be pretty popular here in WI, but I generally find tires that have only the left sides studded for use on ovals. Like you Matt, I just plan on terrorizing my ice fishing buddies instead of letting the bike sit all winter. I think think it would be best to have the entire tire studded.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Damn Matt, that is one wicked looking tire. That thing looks like it could make it's own snow, just add ice.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Damn Matt, that is one wicked looking tire. That thing looks like it could make it's own snow, just add ice.
I found a write up from another guy in northern MN when I first started researching online about studding tires and he had those same style studs on his back wheel (I guess they are old snowmobile studs), any way here is a picture of just that Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirtbike_rider.jpg (103.2 KB, 8 views)

post #8 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

post #9 of 10 Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

post #10 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 PM
it's a honda, not a bmw

Google image searching . . .

(photo-chop?)

I'm pretty sure all the guys above have much bigger balls than me. This guy on the BMW. . . probably not. . . I'm not sure where he's trying to go exactly, but I don't think he's getting far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode