opinions on the 1972 SL175 - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
opinions on the 1972 SL175

Well, its almost summer, ill be out of school, and i need a project, something to keep my mind and spirit busy during the lazy summer months inbetween work and floggin the 919 around the local so cal twisties.

I have ALWAYS loved the old hondas and there is a person selling a honda 1972 SL 175 here in town for 500 bucks.

ya it obviously needs some work, but only has 6.5k miles on it, i have yet to see it in person but aparently it runs well. I just kinda like the idea of having a small light bike for toolin round town, with the ability to go hey, that dirt road looks cool.

anything i should know about the lil parallel twin 175?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (186.2 KB, 14 views)

nd4spdbh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Well, its almost summer, ill be out of school, and i need a project, something to keep my mind and spirit busy during the lazy summer months inbetween work and floggin the 919 around the local so cal twisties.

I have ALWAYS loved the old hondas and there is a person selling a honda 1972 SL 175 here in town for 500 bucks.

ya it obviously needs some work, but only has 6.5k miles on it, i have yet to see it in person but aparently it runs well. I just kinda like the idea of having a small light bike for toolin round town, with the ability to go hey, that dirt road looks cool.

anything i should know about the lil parallel twin 175?

Yeah, dual carbs are a PITA.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Yeah, dual carbs are a PITA.
lol, ya knew that.... cant imagine 4 on a sohc 4!!!

nd4spdbh is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

The SL's are cool bikes, a friend had one, he rode that thing everywhere. That would be a cool project.

rmb is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
The SL's are cool bikes, a friend had one, he rode that thing everywhere. That would be a cool project.
thats what im thinkin. i 1. love dirbiking, 2 love old hondas... it would be cool to get kinda both worlds type of thing. pluss i love tinkering!

i just dunno how easy it is to get parts for such old motorcycles.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM
lusting over something...
 
james_kraska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 585
Rep Power: 1
 
I had no problems restoring my old hondas. 99% of parts are still available over the counter. That's what -in my opinion separates Honda from the other 3 (barring cult bikes).

Dual carbs aren't nearly as bad as most people make them sound if you invest $30 in vacuum gauges, it's a Honda so it will last forever. ++

james_kraska is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
I had no problems restoring my old hondas. 99% of parts are still available over the counter. That's what -in my opinion separates Honda from the other 3 (barring cult bikes).

Dual carbs aren't nearly as bad as most people make them sound if you invest $30 in vacuum gauges, it's a Honda so it will last forever. ++
ya tbh im not worried about carbs at all... always been quite good at making a carbed bike run right, i was just mainly worried about parts. but lookin around online, parts are cheap and quite readily available!

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
lusting over something...
 
james_kraska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 585
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
ya tbh im not worried about carbs at all... always been quite good at making a carbed bike run right, i was just mainly worried about parts. but lookin around online, parts are cheap and quite readily available!

Man, if insurance wasn't so damn expensive in Canada, I'd have a dozen bikes. @ $500, that bike is a keeper. I figure it probably needs rubber, carb cleaning, valves spec'd, forks rebuilt, new rear shocks, and it'll run better than new.

james_kraska is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
Man, if insurance wasn't so damn expensive in Canada, I'd have a dozen bikes. @ $500, that bike is a keeper. I figure it probably needs rubber, carb cleaning, valves spec'd, forks rebuilt, new rear shocks, and it'll run better than new.
ya i priced it out... an extra 60 bucks or so to insure this along with my 919 for a year.... only paying 120 a yr right now (just liability)

i would probably end up tearing the entire thing apart, sanding down the frame and doing a nice rattle can job, and just polish up the chrome and paint other parts as needed. it would be a low buck rebuild.

looking at the service manual for these lil parallel twins they couldnt get much simpler, good ole adjustable valve tappets etc. im still amazed that a 40yr old technology motorcycle motor can rev at 11k!

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Bullet proof motor. Great old bike. I wanted one bad back in that particular year.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Bigdaa is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Pilus Posterior
 
AllanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,101
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
Excellent motor. I had the CB200 (bored out version of the same motor).

The only thing I remember with Hondas of that era is the camchains did not last as long as they do now. Mind you when you replace the chain it looks like something fit for a push-bike!


Carbs are easy to set with a gauge. I'd remove them, strip and clean, reset and bench sync them pop back on the bike. Record the original settings and put it back to them as a starting point.

Valves are screw and lock-nut and easy access through inspection caps. A note with these - the o-rings behind them are probably 39 years old and it may be half that since anyone looked at them! Before unscrewing them a day or two of CRC or WD40 squirts around them may help break the seal. You might like to warm the bike a fraction to try and loosen them too. I say this as the inspection covers are alloy and if sealed on from years of sitting etc it is easy to strip the soft 'nut' opening them.

AllanB is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

What are you waitin' for, go buy it!... I may have to start looknig for something like that for a project.

rmb is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
What are you waitin' for, go buy it!... I may have to start looknig for something like that for a project.
i would its just hard to me to just go and spend money... been brought up to count every penny and make it work for me.... and no im not jewish

i definitely have saved up some money over the past year and it would be a nice early bday gift to myself. hmm

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

If I found one tomorrow, close to me, in good running condition, I'd buy it before they figured out how cool it really is.

rmb is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
maybe i shoudl start a nd4's SL175 charity here in wristtwisters .... so all u guys can contribute to a good cause :-P

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Just looked, found one for sale locally for $200... Just eailed to see if they have the title, we'll see...

rmb is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Optio
 
jay313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 833
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
maybe i shoudl start a nd4's SL175 charity here in wristtwisters .... so all u guys can contribute to a good cause :-P
Yeah. We're all contributing our 2 cents worth. At this rate, you'll have it in no time.

I'm really jonesing for an old bike to rebuild, too. Rebuilt an old VW Bug last year. Fun project, but next time, I'm starting with something that is already running. Too much work starting off with a non-running engine and a bunch of missing parts.

jay313 is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Yeah. We're all contributing our 2 cents worth. At this rate, you'll have it in no time.

I'm really jonesing for an old bike to rebuild, too. Rebuilt an old VW Bug last year. Fun project, but next time, I'm starting with something that is already running. Too much work starting off with a non-running engine and a bunch of missing parts.
ya no... i wont buy it unless it starts up fairly easily. i dont mind doing a motor refresh but a completly teardown, diagnosis etc etc is not worth my time

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"
 
Bigdaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goleta, California
Posts: 17,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
maybe i shoudl start a nd4's SL175 charity here in wristtwisters .... so all u guys can contribute to a good cause :-P
Who's going to chip in for my riot guns?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
Bigdaa is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
ima poor college student, my charity > yours :-P

i emaild the person about proper paperwork on the motorcycle, have yet to hear back from em tho.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 AM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Just looked, found one for sale locally for $200... Just eailed to see if they have the title, we'll see...
No title...

rmb is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 AM
lusting over something...
 
james_kraska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 585
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
ima poor college student, my charity > yours :-P
Wait until post-university... I thought I was poor in school. Making $40k a year with 60k debt and a partner doing her PhD is poor.

james_kraska is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
lusting over something...
 
james_kraska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 585
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
No title...
bummer dude. I'd love an old scrambler as well! Maybe you could look for one of those? and I could live through your rebuild!

james_kraska is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
dang it.... the SL175 sold..... bah i knew i shoulda jumped on it o well.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Who's going to chip in for my riot guns?
wrong forum. This is all about BIKES!!!


man, you are getting me jonesing to get back to work on my old Suzuki SP400. First real bike I ever owned. Got it from my uncle in a divorce.

Had car oil put into it for the first 10k miles, has terrible compression and a home made air filter. Clutch barely disengages anymore, probably due to the car oil.

But, I have no idea how to replace a clutch or redo a top end. I sure would like to learn though.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
dang it.... the SL175 sold..... bah i knew i shoulda jumped on it o well.
should woulda.....that sux man. Keep lookin.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
wrong forum. This is all about BIKES!!!


man, you are getting me jonesing to get back to work on my old Suzuki SP400. First real bike I ever owned. Got it from my uncle in a divorce.

Had car oil put into it for the first 10k miles, has terrible compression and a home made air filter. Clutch barely disengages anymore, probably due to the car oil.

But, I have no idea how to replace a clutch or redo a top end. I sure would like to learn though.
Perfect bike to learn on! just find a service manual and tear into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
should woulda.....that sux man. Keep lookin.
ya i kno. I hate jumping into things, and just so happened to be browsing CL and saw that and went hey... that would be a perfect project for this summer, but me being me i had to think it through while it slipped out from under my feet.. o well, next time around.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Optio
 
jay313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 833
Rep Power: 1
 
Anything that actually runs and has an available clear title for under $1000 will go quickly. Beware of the guys who say it just needs a battery and the carbs cleaned. Yeah right.

jay313 is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Anything that actually runs and has an available clear title for under $1000 will go quickly. Beware of the guys who say it just needs a battery and the carbs cleaned. Yeah right.
ya fo sho. tho i dont mind cleaning the carbs to get it running. but id probably ask to pull a spark plug and make sure it has spark.

nd4spdbh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome