Nowhere to RIDE in NJ !!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Nowhere to RIDE in NJ !!!

Well the sad day finally came last week as the http://www.njorvp.org/ in Chatsworth NJ closed it's gates.

Chatsworth NJ is a well known destination for area dirt enthusiasts and bikers in general and was recently noted as one of the most natural and desirable rural communities in the U.S. as ranked by National Geographic (top 10 actually).

The land being used for the Off Road Park was part of a deal worked out w/ the NJ Conservation Foundation to keep riders (dirt/enduro/atv) in a safe and geographically limited area.

The NJ Conservation Foundation had leased the parcel of land to a private group in hopes of curtailing illegal offroad activities in the surrounding Pine Barrens. (a million acre plus unique forest in the middle of southern central NJ) Aug 31 2008 saw the end of the 10 year lease and the end of the Off Road Park in Chatsworth.

The Owners of the Off Road Park are currently searching for a new 200-300 acre parcel of land in southern Jersey. Cost of the new land is expected to be prohibitive and will likely delay the deal.

The only legal option left to off-road riders is private land.

15 seconds from talkin sh!t...
panhandling for gas money to CMP
the Project
H87 No Guts No Glory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

of course, then there's riding outlaw

post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Happened to us in PAa couple years ago.....one of the reasons I sold my WR.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Its sad to see something like that. I sold my quad because of such things, I was tired of having to drive a few hours just so I could ride it.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Its sad to see something like that. I sold my quad because of such things, I was tired of having to drive a few hours just so I could ride it.

+1

Myself and a few other investors looked to procur land for awhile in PA to open a motorsports park but between all the land price increases + beurocratic wrangling and one hand wanting the other washed in ways that I didn't approve of the dream slowily died.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

My problem, the punk kid (nephew 1 of 6), has this new CRF 150 sittin in the garage all summer staring at him. (yes, the same bike that's being motarded by a few on this site...and don't think i don't have plans, i have plans, big plans, BIG plans but I digress)

So here's this kid w/ a new bike and he's been sidelined all summer with an injury. (long story, don't get me started...if it were up to me, heads would have rollled...) So the kid finally gets clearance to ride and WTF ?!?!?! the PARK CLOSES !!!!

So now what to do...

Most of the local farms have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Those that remain are mostly owned by new folks that bought up after Farmland Preservation thing kicked in and they're all about no dirt riding, no hunting, save the feral cat b.s. .

So now I'm checking out the trails in NY, the parks in PA, the AMA sponsored events that are good for a weekend's activity. (at least those weekends that don't conflict w/ fall ball, tourneys, practice and god knows what else)

It also has me shopping swampland only, it's really swampland and i can't even build a decent single track in the 2 plots i've checked out. (6 & 10 acre landlocked lots good for nothing but pinebarrens credit)

So now I'm off to check out a 17 acre and 23 acre lot down the shore. (cause those are the minimum lot sizes for parts of the Pine Barrens) These lots would mean relocating but less than an hour from current location...so not that big a deal.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

There are several well know, indeed legendary locations in the Pine Barrens that have been the mecca of tri-state off road activity for several decades.

The abandoned sand quarries dot the Pines and are easily viewed from Google Earth or the like.

The pits of Forked River.
"The Pits"
Hidden Lakes to name just a few...

Insurance, liability...that's what kills the Operator once they somehow manage to clear the price of land hurdle.

Apparently a NJ State operated park is out of the question even though those abandoned quarries will remain intact for decades to come...an unnatural part of the landscape to begin with.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

The DR gives me the option to get out there.
For the kids, nothing, nada, zilch.

Now I've got an excuse to call Judy from the reunion, her family owns one sizable quarry out there in the woods. Have to ask her is she wants to go for a ride...the things I'll do for these kids.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

That is very unfortunate Ratdog. It makes me quite sad to see the direction things are going for such a constructive hobby. I suffer the same problem here in WI. Dirt riding requires a long drive and very limited grounds to do so. There are a couple of clubs supprted by the WI DNR which allow them use of leased land on voulantary basis. It is nice to have but I am sure thier futures hang in the balance. Even finding an MX or SX track localy is PITA. They are often crowded and more often than not, hosting competitions which limit the usable, open riding times, due to track prep and practice.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Mc 9er

we'll see how happy the state is, when the chatsworth land goes back to being used for a trash site,party and go nuts hang out and a general dumping ground for stolen cars etc.
the reason they opened it up to legal dirt riders was to try an stop all this illegal stuff in the first place, and for 10 years it worked. why could'nt they extend the contract another 5-10 yrs?
Rat,what do you think about the park their trying to open in monroe(williamstown)? i know it'll be a little far for you, but at least it's somthing,if it goes thru.

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #11 of 11 Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

I hate to hear of your troubles - Its begining to get like like around here , unless you know someone or trepass, its hard to find good places for the kids to ride .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode