New vs Old KLR - which one? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

New vs Old KLR - which one?

Getting my feelers out for purchasing an enduro - KLR seems to be the clear choice from what I've heard and seen thus far, but I'm more fuzzy on whether the new model's changes are worth the extra dough or even what benefits there are to the new design. I know we have some owners out there, what do y'all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Tons of KLR info in the archives, but here's my limited experience. Rode a new one this spring when I was looking for a dual sport, I like the looks of the new fairing although many don't. It has adequate power, which means not much, was fairly smooth, which means vibrates like hell, and it was pretty comfortable, which means compared to sitting on a rock.

Honestly it was a nice bike, just not the one for me. From my understanding the older ones have more soul, are better offroad but not as good on the highway, vibrate even more and are cheaper to buy. I've since switched my search to MZ Baghiras and KTM 640/LC4 Enduros just because I want something totally funky and offbeat.

post #3 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

KLR's are great bikes for dirt roads and whatnot. I've ridden a couple older ones and they did the job. Great bikes.

The nicest enduro I've ever ridden though has to be a BMW gs. They're worth a look. Never ridden a KTM but they look great and get good reviews.

I'm wanting a 450x with a street kit myself next spring, maybe even 'tard it. That looks fun.
YouTube - Dual Sport Technologies Street Legal kit - Complete

Two wheelin for the feelin.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oooh, just found this, sometimes I forget I need only search a bit

https://wristtwisters.com/adventure-r...fferences.html

I r dum

post #5 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

cough-cough-XR650L-cough-cough

Dan
post #6 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My dad had an XR650L for a spell...until I wrecked it. My memories are not too fond, but you're right, should look into that and the Zook.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

It all depends on what you're looking for, do you want a street bike thats competent in the dirt or do you want a dirt bike that's legal for the street?

Dan

Dan
post #8 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The former, my grand plan is to do a run to the border and see how far I can get down the Pan American highway...roads get sketchy when you get off the highway (and I'm guessing in some areas, on the highway) and would need to continue unimpeded! Only other plan would be to hopefully use it to play in the dirt on some weekends with my brother and niece.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
Getting my feelers out for purchasing an enduro - KLR seems to be the clear choice from what I've heard and seen thus far, but I'm more fuzzy on whether the new model's changes are worth the extra dough or even what benefits there are to the new design. I know we have some owners out there, what do y'all think?
Are you going to win the Baja500 on it ... NO. Will it finish, most definitely.

Will it win drag races ... No. Well, maybe against a 919.

It is a very good bike. It will do almost anything the rider can dish out. Out of all the bikes I've owned, this by far is the most comfortable riding position. It will do single tracks as well as the interstate. It will take you to and from your favorite off road places.

Yes, I believe there are better DP's out there, but you will also pay for them. The KLR is quite economical and parts are a bit easier to get if you need them. And, the KLR has a great support network. If you want a bike that will take you to all parts of the global with little drama and very efficiently ... this is it!

I'll sell you mine all done up at a WT price if you really want one. Complete the way it sits done up.

Only reason for me selling is ... too many bikes in the garage and I'm looking for more off-road focused, which means sacrificing road comfort.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #10 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Turbo city's got lots of racks available
Turbo City - Rock-It Parts

Dan

Dan
post #11 of 16 Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Having had both , here are some things Ive found -

New KLR -
Pros -
more comfy
better wind protection
looks great
Cons -
Neavier than the old model
Expensive to repair fall overs ( get the body work protection asap if yo uget a new one )

Old KLR -
Pros -
More off road worthy thanks to cheap replacment parts
Solid as an anvil
cheap to fix
Cons -
Style - either you love it or you hate it

I like the old style better , it just looks like a bike that could go anywhere and it wont matter if it falls over - the new one , well, it just looks a bit more fragile , but, it really is a better road bike. Real world performance is about equal between the two models so the perfrtoamnce should be a factor in deciding on which one - The deciding factor should be weither you want a more off road or on road bike. Off = old On - new
If I had it do to do over , I still would have gotten my 2006 - I jsut would have help on to it -

post #12 of 16 Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I Have a 1984 KLR, and it is Kick only, so go for a 86 I think or newer so you can have electric start, unless you like kicking it.

I paid 50 bucks for this bike with a title, so after a carb cleaning, it is a good rider!

A good friend has a 2007 KLR, and it is a good bike, but what a difference 23 years makes!

Go for what you like and what you can afford, nothing makes it more un-enjoyable than hating making the payments....

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #13 of 16 Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think from the sound of it, I could be happy with an old one...that's the way I'm leaning now. Thanks as always for the input!

post #14 of 16 Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

post #15 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Tesserarius

KLR is way to heavy, go for a DRZ instead much better bike in the long run

post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

08 KLR has inherent oil ring problem and can consume up to one quart of oil for every 200 miles.
No such problem on older models. I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed on 09's and 10's, but do the research. It will cost alot more if you crash a new KLR....fancy plastic and all. The XL Honda and the KLR are about equal in power and torque, the XL getting the nod. You can wind out the KLR all day long in 100 degree heat. I know this personally. I've got 19,000 miles on my 05. Bit of an oil leak on the shifter shaft when WFO. I do have an issue with blowing a gasket on the clutch cover side, just above the oil filter housing. It pisses me off and I'm on the third one. Possible uneven machine surfaces.
One more thing, liquid cooling is tits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode