My little Adventure Bike - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My little Adventure Bike

It's an 06 Kawie KLX 250. Got it cheap. It had 2500 miles on it. It may havebeen in the dirt, but if it has, it's been expertly cleaned up.

Bone, and I mean bone stock. Warning stickers, airbox snorkel, stock jetting, and a couple years worth of chain gunk, all present.

So far I've removed warning stickers, reflectors, snorkel,helmet lock, adjusted all controls, cleaned chain, replaced mirriors, turn sigs, grips, oil, cut 3"off the bar. I've put on a Dunlop 606, battery tender leads. I still need to replace the fork protectors. Jet kit is on order. Next spring it'll get a new battery.

I've had it out Christmas eve on a recon mission. Much fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 599 carbs 059.jpg (211.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 599 carbs 063.jpg (219.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 599 carbs 076.jpg (146.7 KB, 8 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

My, that looks like allot of fun!

post #3 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb550four View Post
My, that looks like allot of fun!
+1, I could use a machine like that right about now with the snow falling...

post #4 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1, I could use a machine like that right about now with the snow falling...
The snow isnt as much fun as it looks.......... Awesome
find. I had a 91 or 92 KLX. Bought it for just about zilch, rode it almost 5000 miles and the neighbor bought it just before we moved.
It was the first motocycle I took
my son for a ride on. I discovered It would put him to sleep within 3 laps of a 5 acre yard! Boy did that bike save my sanity.

That'll work........
post #5 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Centurion

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Congrats, if you want or need any advice let me know I tinkered with mine a bit (the KLX300 cylinder bolts right on). I really liked the suspension off road (after I put in stiffer fork springs) comfy & sure footed like a mountain goat. Ended up going super moto & sold it though.

Fork guards--stock are ugly & brittle, order up some 94-95 KX guides & 94-98 guards. Off the top of my head that is the years. In 96 the Kxs went to a 46mm fork (you have a 43mm like the 94-95) but the guards are the same. I had UFO brand that come with the guides & guards. Cheaper, better looking & flexible. That is what mine had.

post #6 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
... Ended up going super moto...
Why not bolt-on a pair of 17" slicks when you feel like it and have the best of both worlds

post #7 of 18 Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
Why not bolt-on a pair of 17" slicks when you feel like it and have the best of both worlds
trust me, you don't get the "best" of both worlds, you just get both worlds. which isn't all bad, I still enjoy my set up like that with my yamaha

nice toy sniper, enjoy it.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #8 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Cornicen

I have the same bike, it had 45 miles on it when I bought it for 2500.00 Revalved/resprung the front (USD forks are a plus, but the stock piston is awful...especially on high-velocity impacts), complete new rear shock, 331 Big Bore, Dynajet stage 2 kit, HFP pipe, Cycra handguards with Vibranators and bar-end weights, Renthal bars, Corbin seat, Geomax front and D 606 rear, and a 1.1 gallon auxillary tank that mounts on the left rear side.

It's a real sleeper for a bike labeled as a 250, and now has the range needed for longer desert exploration. Just did the Barstow-Vegas off-road ride...it was a piece of cake on this bike. Especially in the toughest stuff, where many of the riders on larger bikes were struggling. It's very nice for a small dual-sport.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Bryce, I was going to ask you about the fork guards when I started reading your post, but you beat me to it. The stockers are about as brittle as crackers.

Can't decide if I want to put an FMF Q4 can on it or not. I don't want to make much noise, but as you know, the bike is pretty mild in stock condition. Some bikes really wake up with a can, jets and an open airbox. Some just make more racket.

I'll probably just leave the engine a 250, at least for a year or so. But just I am curious to know how much it cost to turn it into a 330.

post #10 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Bryce, I looked at the UFO site.... 1998 KX 250 fork sliders for $30 is what I need?

What does anyone think of the Dirt Skins fork skins for $22 instead. I don't think I'll ever catch anyone elce's roost.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Bryce, I looked at the UFO site.... 1998 KX 250 fork sliders for $30 is what I need?
did you mean fork guards or you are looking for fork sliders?

as far as seal skins go, I'm not a big fan. They trap dirt and small rocks and scratch your fork tube.

Acerbis an UFO are pretty solid plastics

post #12 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
I tried having two sets of wheels but it got to be a pain switching back & forth especially with the caliper relocation bracket (I had the SM disc see in the pic), different gearing & chain lengths, etc. I also did not have 17s & found a nice WR250X. I also got tired of being the only dirt bike with ATVs so I went that route--basically split the dual sport back up into separate machines in an ATV & super moto.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Centurion

These are what is best. Comes complete with guards & guides.

UFO Kawasaki Fork Slider Protectors - DennisKirk.com

or at www.MXsouth.com

part # 116244 FRK SLDR GRD WH KX1/2 94-95 $26.99

This is listed for the 94-95. The 96-03 uses the same guard, but the 96-03guides are for a 46mm fork instead of the 43mm like the 94-95 & your KLX has.

You will need to dremel off an unused tab (dont NEED to but will look wierd if you don't) & the throttle side will only mount with 2 bolts instead of 3. For the SPEEDO cable I just scrounged a spare brake line holder from another bike & bolted it to the guide. You can see it in my right side pic. After all that I just added some KX fork guard decals for the 94-03 guards.

For exhaust the FMF Q4 is popular & has KLX250 specific slip on & header that you can run either or both. The best bang for your buck is the KLX300 header & OEM muffler with the removeable "butt plug" removed. I ran this first. It is reasonably quiet & pretty much all the performance of a slip on. Cost you less than $50 on Ebay. Cons are still boat anchor heavy & sounds agricultural. You need the header because the 300 header is longer to reach the 300 muffler--it provides no additional benefit performance wise.

You can also run a 300 header & then any slip on for the KLX300. I did this after the 300 OEM & went with a Pro Circuit 496.

Big bores are the OEM KLX300 cylinder & piston (I used a Weisco though). A Kustom Kraft sleeveless plated big bore, or a Bill Blue 331 or 351 sleeved big bore.

On the jet kit I went with the KLX300 kit but I was also at 300cc so it made sense. After I bought mine they came out with a 250 kit which I think has a little less agressive needle than the 300 kit.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks again Bryce.

I owe ya, Buddy.

I ordered a set a while ago.

if I ever went big bore, I think I'd go with Bill Blue. I haven't ridden enough to know what I need yet, engine/power wise.

post #15 of 18 Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Gets censored

Looks like a blast!

post #16 of 18 Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Carp Killer

They are great little bikes I have the bigger brother. I love Kawi.

post #17 of 18 Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Since that pic was taken, I've put on an FMG Quiet Core, and rejetted it, along with a 13T sprocket. This thing runs pretty decent for what it is.

The rack, fender extender, and huge tail light are all gone now too. I made a little bracket for the KTM turn signals as well as the bright little led tail/brake light. The air injection junk, and sidestand switch are now gone, as is anything unnecessary.

The weak oem battery was replaced with a Shorai lithium. Saved 4 1/2 pounds right there. Put on a ss front line.

When I have my Clarke plastic gas tank on, the KLX will have lost 21 1/2 pounds! You've never seen so crap bolted on a bike in your life.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like you are having fun with that little bike over the winter. When it warms up I'll have to come see your new additions.

Press Any Key To Continue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode