KLR preventative maintenance checklist - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

KLR preventative maintenance checklist

I'm posting this as a reminder of some areas that seem to really need attention and close inspection. These bullets are not in the owner's manual.

Every oil change:
  • Adjust doohickey
  • check for loose bolts and apply loctite where necessary
  • check radiator fluid
  • check speedo cable
  • clean and inspect chain
  • check spokes for tightness
  • remove seat and inspect wiring harness for potential ground faults from rubbed wires.

At least once a year:
  • Remove swingarm and grease pivot bolt and unitrak bearings.
  • Remove and grease axles and wheel bearings
  • Disassemble triple tree and grease steering head bearings
  • check brake pad wear
  • check sprocket and chain wear

All of these points will require more frequent attention if you do alot of water crossings or more than 1,000 miles per month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

If the stock doohicky was adjusted every oil change would it still be a potential failure?

Excellent checklist James.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
If the stock doohicky was adjusted every oil change would it still be a potential failure?

Excellent checklist James.
Even with regular adjustment the stock part will more than likely eventually fail. Replacement is about the only assurance.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I'm posting this as a reminder of some areas that seem to really need attention and close inspection. These bullets are not in the owner's manual.

Every oil change:
  • Adjust doohickey
  • check for loose bolts and apply loctite where necessary
  • check radiator fluid
  • check speedo cable
  • clean and inspect chain
  • check spokes for tightness
  • remove seat and inspect wiring harness for potential ground faults from rubbed wires.
With the oil burning issues ... do you need to change the oil? Just keep pouring fresh oil in, right? Hmmmm... If I never need to change the oil, how do I know when to check all those things?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
If I never need to change the oil, how do I know when to check all those things?
You need to buy one first.

Not all experience the oil burning issues. Ridge's does, mine does not (so far).

post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
You need to buy one first.

Not all experience the oil burning issues. Ridge's does, mine does not (so far).
Been done for 2-weeks now. Just waiting to surprise with all the mods done first. Just sitting there and hasn't been ridden yet.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

ahhh, very cool.

I must've been one of the lucky ones (so far) - haven't noticed even an ounce of oil consumption.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Mine doesn't burn while riding around town or weekends. Mostly just when long sustained periods of 5K rpms and over.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
ahhh, very cool.

I must've been one of the lucky ones (so far) - haven't noticed even an ounce of oil consumption.
I'm planning on following the KLR site's break-in procedure. It's sitting in the dealer shop for now. The plan was to do it this week. I've worked out a deal with the shop to drop the initial oil for me and do the subsequent three changes prior to me "super-slabbing" 4-hours back to my garage.

Many of the mods ordering are in the process. First order of business has been the Moab shock (w/riser links) and fork upgrades, followed by a Woody's Wheel fortification and a bit of bling, black shrouds ordered, etc.

I've already laid the ground work for everyone to know I'll be gone for at least a week in early June. Depending on the timing, I'll most likely leave you guys early and head west. I will leave the bike in my LA facility to allow for some west coast and baja exploration when the desire hits me.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
I've already laid the ground work for everyone to know I'll be gone for at least a week in early June. Depending on the timing, I'll most likely leave you guys early and head west. I will leave the bike in my LA facility to allow for some west coast and baja exploration when the desire hits me.

That's a very cool option to have when out West. Just be easy on super-slabbing a brand new engine. Especially one of a KLR.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

I'm envious of the suspension upgrades. They're definitely needed and I will do them once the budget allows. Eager to see how much better behaved your bike is.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
That's a very cool option to have when out West. Just be easy on super-slabbing a brand new engine. Especially one of a KLR.
Exactly to your point. I'm trying to get the first three oil changes and filters done prior to riding back to my garage to do the mods. Lack of time is killing me! If I told you the hours I'm working you'd call B.S.!!!

Unfortunetly with time constraint issues, I may have to pay the dealer to do many of the mods ... simple azz crap that any monkey can do! Ughhhh!

Right now as it goes:
- Shrouds
- Suspension
- Wheels
- Tires
- Bars
- Foot pegs
- Folding shift lever
- Crash bars
- Skid plate
- Jet coat header after break-in
- Exhaust and jet kit
- Butt Buffer seat
- Windscreen
- etc.

I wish I was having more fun with this! I feel like I'm doing all this from the sidelines! Frustrating as all heck!

post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm envious of the suspension upgrades. They're definitely needed and I will do them once the budget allows. Eager to see how much better behaved your bike is.
Jet, with me (even trying to get in shape) we're looking at 230lbs, now add gear and the stuff to haul ... we're looking at 270-280lbs. Since I'm planning on riding it out, need the suspension. Add the dogbones to raise it slightly (approx. 2 in) and stiffen it up. That way I can go with a little soft shock spring and always take out the bones in the future and just use the shock when not carrying all the weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode