KLR Engine Mods - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

KLR Engine Mods

I just got off the phone with a great guy. Cary from Schnitz Racing. He is a pleasant and forthright type of person. He gave me the in's and out's of the 705 and 685 kits for the KLR.

He developed the 705 for himself and is presently backorder. He didn't think anyone wanted it? His next shipment of eight is due in about 4 weeks. He said that at twice the price of the 685 kit, you're getting only about 1.5 ft-lbs more torque. It may or may not be worth it. I was planning on just getting the 685 kit and boring the cylinder locally, but he warned me that shops that have not worked on a KLR or similar single cylinder engine will most likely make an error due to the varied growth of the KLR through heating and cooling. His turn around time for the machine work is about 7-10 days. Therefore, I'll need to wait until I return from the trip.

He is presently backlogged 10-14 weeks on the head work! Looks like a winter project.

Schnitz will definitely be getting my business!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Why would you want to bump the cc's on a single like this one?

post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Because I'm fat!

It just needs a whee bit more umph. A bit more torque and throttle response is a good thing.

So, I'm thinking ... bump up the cc's a bit, get some head work to improve flow, jet-coat header, properly jet the carb, Supertrapp exhaust and voila! I just gained 0.5hp and 1ft-lb ... them thar are brag'n rights.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!

post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

schnitz rules

post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
The KLR is far and away a prime candidate for the 685 kit. It adds up to a 5 HP/torque increase over stock, more if you jet and add exhaust. It is a very cheap mod since it is single cylinder and Cary's kit includes new rings w/ a Moly coated sleeve. All this adds up to a KLR that uses less oil, has more power throughout the band, vibrates less and rides smoother with little to no mpg loss.

From reading reports of those that have done it, there is no downside.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
From reading reports of those that have done it, there is no downside.
Any reports on longevity? How many miles have been racked up on the 685 kit?

post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Any reports on longevity? How many miles have been racked up on the 685 kit?
This is a post on the KLR board from the guy that makes and installs the kits. (Cary @ Schnitz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRCARY
I've got 26,500 miles on the 685 now, and done the final tear down. All in all, it looks pretty good. There is some unusual carbon deposit patterns, that are the likely result of the float level trouble I've had all summer. It's washing away from the intake, and the carbon is a bit darker than last I looked.

There is no real wear on the aluminum, only the coating. There is a small amount of skirt distortion, but nothing unusual. Total diameter change at the skirt is right at .0006". The pin shows NO wear or even scratching. DLC is a very tough coating. The cylinder has the usual KLR distortion near the bottom. It also has a bit of wear. Wear is just over .0006". The distortion is about the same as the last time I looked at it, and has gotten no worse. I started with a new stock sleeve that was still soft. A "work hardened" used one should fair better. Even so it's not bad, and still uses no oil at all. I think this thing would go 2-3 times this milage, but that's just a guess. Ring end gap only opened up .001-.002" from new. That surprised me a bit. That's also measured at the unworn part of the cylinder. Oil ring measured drag tension is still 11 pounds.

Cary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode