KLR 685: I think I'm gonna do it - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

KLR 685: I think I'm gonna do it

I think this is the best idea I've had in months. While taking a very senic route home on my KLR, the thought of a big bore kit reemerged. So, after looking up information on it throughout the day, I am sold. The new piston weighs nearly 3 ounces less, resulting in decreased vibs on top of the added power from the extra displacement. At $270, plus the cost of getting it bored, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

There is one caveat: I don't think Schnitz Racing is doing any machine work for the foreseeable future so I am going to need to find someone to bore my cylinder 2mm. This may not be a problem but I don't have a solution off the top of my head.

Tomorrow morning I am going to call Schnitz and see if they have them in stock. As soon as they say it's in the mail, the KLR will come apart.

Some cool dyno results with various engine mods tested, this helped to confirm my decision:

http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Unfortunately, KLRCary died last month in a tragic motorcycle accident. The 685 and 705 overbore kits were his baby and he was the sole source of all knowledge from Schnitz Racing. After his death, Schnitz pulled the kits from their site and all sales were suspended until further notice. I think they are back up now for just the parts, but no machine work. Just make certain that the shop you take your cylinder to has experience with motorcycle engine work. I have been told by a number of sources that the technique and attention to detail is much more necessary w/ motorcycles than cars.

post #3 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Just got off the phone with Schnitz. They are taking orders again, placed mine, but it will be 1 to 2 weeks before they get everything sent out. As for the machine work, I am going to talk to two guys I know who have had alot of work done on their motorcycles and go karts, see who they recommend. I would like to do it myself, have done bore kits in 3 of my dirt bikes with some help, but I am going to leave the machine work on the KLR to someone with a little more experience. Sucks about KLRCary.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Is the bore of the cyclider treated in any way in the stock form? Ie, Nikasel, ceramic. Does the new piston require any special preperation of the cylinder?

post #5 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Nothing special, iron sleeve. New piston doesn't need anything special either.

post #6 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The 705 kit has a coating.

post #7 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad919 View Post
Just got off the phone with Schnitz. They are taking orders again, placed mine, but it will be 1 to 2 weeks before they get everything sent out. As for the machine work, I am going to talk to two guys I know who have had alot of work done on their motorcycles and go karts, see who they recommend. I would like to do it myself, have done bore kits in 3 of my dirt bikes with some help, but I am going to leave the machine work on the KLR to someone with a little more experience. Sucks about KLRCary.
When I spoke with Cary on a few occassions, he mentioned that even the best engine guy may screw it up. He mentioned the KLR is different. Best of luck.

post #8 of 17 Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

From what I've read, it has to be bored much slower than normal as well as making sure a coarser finish is used. Anyone know of a shop, other than Schnitz, that has done this before? Right now, I am very confident in being able to get this done. If all else fails, I can do it with sand paper and good eye, right?

post #9 of 17 Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
If all else fails, I can do it with sand paper and good eye, right?

If you've got about 3 thousands years !

At one of the shops I used to work at, we sent our stuff to LA Sleeve, I dont know if they stll do over bores, but their work was spot on and pretty affordable also -

post #10 of 17 Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Still waiting on the piston... I know they said two weeks but that won't curb my impatience.

post #11 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Its here!

Finally got the piston but now I won't have the time to get the boring done for another two weeks. Funny how things work out.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Did you find a reputable shop to do the machine work?

post #13 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Isn't "EagleMike" planning on taking over where Cary left off?

Ad919, you can be the "beta test" for a new shop. Thanks.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #14 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

A friend of mine recommended a shop around here that builds "high performance" v-twins. However, it would be a lot more convenient if I could just send it off to eaglemike and I would feel more at ease having him do it. I'll try to find time to get it done but this week is a bad time with people coming in town and staying here.

post #15 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 11:21 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
A friend of mine recommended a shop around here that builds "high performance" v-twins. However, it would be a lot more convenient if I could just send it off to eaglemike and I would feel more at ease having him do it. I'll try to find time to get it done but this week is a bad time with people coming in town and staying here.
Are you getting any head work?

post #16 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Are you getting any head work?
Negative. Maybe some head work and cams at a later date. For now I am entering the world of being a broke college student so I need to be a little more frugal.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Negative. Maybe some head work and cams at a later date. For now I am entering the world of being a broke college student so I need to be a little more frugal.
Understood. Been there as the broke student. If there's anything that can be done to easy the pressure or burden ... just mention it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode