Just bought an FJR! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Just bought an FJR!

After selling the Blackbird, I had my heart set on going bikeless until the right DRZ400 came along. However, a 2004 FJR1300 popped up on craigslist for stupid cheap so I decided to buy it.

The owner of the bike was trying to sell it, and a prospective buyer ended up wrecking it (lowsided on the right). Since the owner had full coverage, the insurance company worked out a deal with him and he figured that he could just fix the bike himself, but ended up cashing out altogether!

The Blackbird was (still is) a stupid fast bike. This FJR is a deceptively fast bike. For example, the Blackbird lets you know one way or another when it ripples the pavement behind you, whereas the tall windshield and upright seating of the FJR makes 70mph on a back-road feel more like 40mph. I find myself hauling @$$ into corners with the FJR without realizing the outrageous entry speed. It's a surprisingly rompy bike. I wasn't sure how I'd like the 5-speed transmission or how bulky the bike is, but it has definitely grown on me, and overall feels lighter on her feet than the blackbird!

So, I just made a few repairs to the right side fairings, added a carbon fiber vinyl band-aid, and have been enjoying the heck out of this bike!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Unpossible.

Garage
Cool bike. What did you get it for? Under $3K since it was (lightly) wrecked?

Time to change the avatar too

post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Riding Naked All The Time

Welcome to the club! I also have a 2004 FJR. I like it a LOT more than I though I would. So much so I am considering getting a 2016 FRJ1300ES.

2004 919 Uranium

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2016, 07:07 AM
just send it.

Garage
Congrats on the new ride! I'd recommend some heat shielding under the tank if there isn't some there already.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

fjr's are nice. I have several friends who ride them. I had an 07 st1300 and thought it was the better bike. I don't know anyone else who agreed with me or who owned one. Great bike except it hurt my right elbow so much I had to quit riding for the season and get a cortisone shot. Shit! That's why I traded that f'ing thing
Jack

post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
I bought the bike for $1800 since it was rashed up. That way if I didn't like the bike I could always sell it for what I end up dumping into it. So far I found the upper right side fairing for $70 on ebay and I'm considering a new Delkevic exhaust.

It's overall a very nice bike. Smooth ride, amazing storage options, and the tall windshield makes day trips a breeze. I really like the shaft drive since I live down a gravel road.

In comparison to a Honda, the FJR's gearbox is pretty clunky, the motor is a lot noisier, and the throttle is a little more abrupt. I wish it had a 6th gear but the gearing is spaced out adequately for what it is.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode