How much difference can a year make? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

How much difference can a year make?

I was just reminiscing about my anniversary date for my KLR purchase. It passed last weekend as I was turning the 14,000 mile mark. What a strange and beautiful ride it has been in one year.

The day I brought her home and first oil change:

Since that picture, she has been to FL, NC, VA, WV, MD, TN, SC, GA, CO, NM, AZ and UT. Whether highway, byway or no road at all, I have been nothing but impressed with this motorcycle.

I have changed the oil/filter regularly, replaced one chain, replaced one spark plug, replaced front and rear brake pads, one headlight bulb, replaced all four signals w/ LEDs, topped off the battery and tightened all manner of bolts. My stock tires were replaced at 2,600 miles with Michelin Anakees. I regularly switch between the Anakees and D606s depending on the type of ride I am doing.

Most recently, she conquered another goal of attending TDPIII and tackling the roughest terrain yet. I am still impressed and astounded that a person can go into any Kawasaki dealership, plunk down about $5K and ride away on a bike with this much ability and versatility. I will be the first to admit that I have very high expectations of the things that I purchase. I have no qualms about putting a machine through the absolute worst conditions I am willing to endure. This bike has humbled me with its tenacity and unwillingness to quit even when my physical ability has long dwindled.

This is exactly what she looks like right now and I'm not ashamed to say that she looks far better now than she did 14,302 miles ago. Talk about aging gracefully. :nice:

Anyway, that's my deep thought and soul-sharing moment of this year. I just thought I would share the enlightening experience that a year on a KLR can make. Here's to many more years and many more miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 1

Ridge, is that a Corbin? If yes, how do you like it? My ass fit perfectly on the Corbin I had on my Harley and have wondered what one would be like on a dual sport or even a dirt bike for that matter.

Glad you are getting along well with the KLR! When are you going to write your own story? Long Way Around or Long Way Down? How about you and Jet do the Long Way Up to Alaska? You know you both want to!

Low Post Whore!
post #3 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RRHooligan View Post
Ridge, is that a Corbin? If yes, how do you like it? My ass fit perfectly on the Corbin I had on my Harley and have wondered what one would be like on a dual sport or even a dirt bike for that matter.

Glad you are getting along well with the KLR! When are you going to write your own story? Long Way Around or Long Way Down? How about you and Jet do the Long Way Up to Alaska? You know you both want to!

You are correct and very observant. That is a Corbin "flat" model for the KLR. I can say that I love it now, but not so much when I first installed it. I bought it used, but I don't think the guy ever actually sat on it. When it arrived it was stiff as a board and, in true Corbin fashion, heavy as an anchor.

I was unhappy with the slick covering on the seat and the tendency to slide my jewels into the tank on quick decel. A couple of pieces of Stomp Grip on the tank sides and that was alleviated. Since purchasing it, the foam has finally started conforming to my ass (either that, or I've lost all of my nerve receptors down there) and the ride is very much improved. I woudl liken it to breaking in a set of brand new Vanson leathers, or brand new full-leather boots. It takes a while to get everything situated, but in the end it is worth the time.

I did get the opportunity to try Sargent's seat for the KLR and I was very impressed with the foam density, but their build quality on the base left quite a bit to be desired. Whereas Corbin uses metal brackets for seat attachment, Sargent uses plastic grommets w/ no metal inserts. The first time you over-tighten the screws and you no longer have a mounting bracket. I don't know if that same practice carries over to their other seats, and I would hope it doesn't.

Jetblast, on the other hand, despised his Corbin on the KLR. I think he had the dished model. He did not receive the best response from their customer service dept. either IIRC.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Excellent! Good to know the KLR is still making you grin. You sure have put it thru its paces.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

very cool! My beamer is green with envy!! OK really just its owner!

post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

you're killing me today ridge, now my wife and I have a date to go looking at dual sports this weekend. I hope you're happy.

nothing I hate worse then motorcycle shopping

glad you still like your bike so much.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Congratulations, James.
Not many people can say they put 14,000 miles on a bike in a year.

(What's next?)
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Congratulations, James.
Not many people can say they put 14,000 miles on a bike in a year.

(What's next?)
Oddly enough, I don't have a desire to replace the KLR with anything. Never, until now, has any bike gone through the torture rack that I have put this one through and come out better looking in the end. Through all it's scars, scrapes, and bruises, the KLR will likely not be leaving my garage unless I have some financial catastrophe that necessitates it. If anything, I will hopefully just add a stablemate in the future.

I have never had a bike that I felt a kinship to like this one.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Oddly enough, I don't have a desire to replace the KLR with anything.
Let me make a note of this...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Great post, Ridge. I was having similar thoughts about the Bandit last month when it turned one year old. It's a great feeling of satisfaction for me to have owned this bike for a year and still have it put a big grin on my face every time I ride it. In fact, I may love this Bandit more now than when I bought it. There's something to be said for finding just the right bike, for just the right price, that exceeds your expectations. We are lucky men!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

post #12 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Jetblast, on the other hand, despised his Corbin on the KLR. I think he had the dished model. He did not receive the best response from their customer service dept. either IIRC.

I just read somewhere that Corbin came out with a seat for those afflicted with "desk chair ass"". Might be worth a shot?

Low Post Whore!
post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Feels good to find something that fits!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode