Honda FMX 650 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Not too swift

Honda FMX 650

OK, yeah I'm probably a little more than way behind the times however I could not find anything after searching these forums pertaining to the FMX 650. I was just wondering if the rest of the world got to have a factory built Honda SM when I ran across this.

So I got to wondering how hard/expensive it would be to convert a 650L to an FMX here:
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/Rev...da_FMX_650.htm

Anybody considered this? Not really sure it would really even be worth it since the bike is still using the same old 644cc air cooled thumper that I had on my 1995 XR650L. You can only reliably mod that engine so far....

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Brain stolen again?

Honda is really messed up dressing the old a/c lump up like that. Really archaic. I don't think they have a feakin clue as to what kind of bread is to be had by taking the UniCam motors and the l/c big bore and stuffing them in a motard-o. Man I'd jump on the 450 or 650 like a teen ager on his prom date! I would go into additional hock (you know......add hoc) to do so.

DEAR AMERICAN HONDA,
ARE YOU COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR COLLECTIVE MINDS?
JUST WONDERING"

Your's Truly(truly pissed off, you turd heads)

Bigdaa, current member of the Kawasaki "Dark Side"

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Not too swift

I wonder if the 650R would be viable candidate to SM? Water cooled, 5cc larger...its a thought

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
I wonder if the 650R would be viable candidate to SM? Water cooled, 5cc larger...its a thought
Ya. Liquid cooling means tighter tolerances and higher horsepower and torque. All three motors that I mentioned would be great candidates for this task, as well as a new line of most excellent dual purposes. Now Yamaha has already moved into this direction with their M.C. based twofitty engine, and Suzuki is there with their SM400. Kawasaki has caught up in a way by updating the 250KLR with the M.C. based motor. A show of hands here on this site would give a good idea of how serious a market there would be for these bikes. I mean WT is a very good sampling of riders representing the US market. I mean, we hail from all four corners.

Anyone want to word up a poll on this one?

Mathew Quigley
post #5 of 6 Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I talked to some of the Honcho's last year when I participated in that focus group at American Honda. They said the markets for an SM or highend on-off road machines would have to be at least four times what they are now before they would even consider it in the US. That being said, you can buy this off the showroom floor in Italy. It even has a magic button!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xr650r-sm.jpg (66.0 KB, 20 views)

Professional
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
I talked to some of the Honcho's last year when I participated in that focus group at American Honda. They said the markets for an SM or highend on-off road machines would have to be at least four times what they are now before they would even consider it in the US. That being said, you can buy this off the showroom floor in Italy. It even has a magic button!
There it is. The bike exists apparently and I'm sure it wouldn't take much to put some added trinkets to meet US emmisions standards.

What chickens!

Mathew Quigley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode