Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Hey dirtbike guys...

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mk919 
#1 ·
I noticed lately a few guys were buying dirtbikes. I'm shopping for a one, no real rush but looking. I'll be doing trail rides and don't think I will be on a track. Was thinking something in the 250 cc class. How are 2 strokes on trails, do they need to be run in high RPM's to work well? Would a 4 stroke engine last longer trail riding? Which has more tourque in low gears I don't want to be on and off the clutch all the time?

I have a 300EX and a my wife has a 500 Vinson (quads) now but I wanted to try something a little different.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks

#4 ·
If you are going to be mostly trail riding, stick with a 4-stroke. @ strokes are much more picky to temperature and how they are ridden. @ strokes are designed to be ridden with the throttle open.

There are quite a bit to choose from, say Hondas for example, you have the XR line, great bullet proof bikes for trails, very low maintenance. If you wanted something a little more performance oriented, you can go with the CRF line. They are a higher performance engine, so there might be a little more maintenance though.

You will really enjoy the 4 stroke more. Been racing motocross for 17 years, and I have switched to a 4 stroke also. A CR250F. Absolutely love it.

Attachments

#6 ·
4 stroke all the way for fun and trail riding, minimum maintenance (read: change oil every so often add gas and go!).

2 strokes, rev happy, foul plugs if you ride them to slow, more maintenance (not really if you ride them slow but you'll be upset at cleaning plugs eveytime and doing the oil/gas mix)

XR250R is a bullet proof motor and enough for what you want.

#7 ·
If you go 4 stroke, it sounds like you should stick with something like an XR from Honda. The more recent racing four strokes require a lot more maintenance, but will really perform. Not that you couldn't handle it (the maint) or that it is too time consuming, it's just the caliber of today's 4 stroke race motors - you have to keep a wrench on them quite a bit. Like I said the Honda XR or even Kawi KDX sound like what you want. They sacrifice power and weight compared to the racing 4 strokes, but if that doesn't matter to you then your fine. They are very reliable. As far as dirt bikes go I personally am a die-hard KTM man. They make a great line of woods bikes that are specifically set up for that stuff right out of the box. I would suggest either the 200EXC or 250EXC, both of which are 2 strokes. The EXC line is set up for woods riding, fast and bullet-proof. Maybe take a look at these 2 bikes if the XR or KDX sounds too heavy and you would want more power. If the KTM interests you there is a ton of info at KTMTalk.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.