Gin's '01 F650GS - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Gin's '01 F650GS

Took awhile, but our garage finally has an adventure bike added to the mix. We drove to Kettering, OH today and picked up a 2001 BMW F650GS with 8000 miles. Never been down, paint and body in great condition, heated grips, accessory plug and BMW hard side cases. Needs tires, still has original Metzlers which have decent tread left but are dry rotted and cracked from age. Needs some TLC, aluminum engine cases are oxidized, plastic side panels and switch controls are faded and oxidized. Chain has 8 years of lube on it, as does the chain guard and rear wheel. Pipes and exhausts are discolored, and several rusty fasteners all over the bike. Looking forward to tomorrow, a Sunday's worth of elbow grease will bring very satisfying results I'm sure.

It rides great, impressive power for what it is and extremely easy to handle. Want to put tires on it before we take it out for a major ride, but the drivetrain seems solid and strong. Gin can toe it now without lowering but I plan to install 1" Kouba links in the rear and raise the forks in the front, which will let her almost flat foot it. It already sits lower stock than her lowered 599, so an added inch will be plenty.

Here's some initial pics, I'll post up some more as I dive into detail work tomorrow.

Love at first ride

Backed my truck up against a retaining wall at the owner's business and rode it right in. Fit fine in the bed at an angle, strapped it down and rode great coming home.

We took a detour a few miles further east and stopped by Competition Accessories in Springfield, OH. Love that store, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha dealer, along with the largest accessory and clothing showroom I've seen in the Midwest. Just browsed, tried on some boots and bought some chain lube, then headed homeward.

Got back in town and decided to look for a similar spot to unload instead of trying to back it down a ramp. Finally turned into a city park and found a secluded road with a ditch to back into and bank to onload the bike.

Worked well, I backed it off onto the grass and held it there while Gin pulled the truck up, then I just rode down on the pavement, first off road experience with no problem.

She took it from there and rode home, said it feels totally different than anything she's used to riding but she adapted quickly and loves it.

I'm excited to have a new project, not that I don't have enough projects already but a new bike in the garage always gets me going. Tons of aftermarket and factory support for these bikes, as well as a very helpful forum, The Chain Gang. Just want to get it all polished up and looking as good as possible first, replace the tires, do all the maintenance. Then I'll start looking at a few functional mods like engine guards and hand guards, maybe check out exhausts.

More to come...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

CONGRATULATIONS 'BEAU AND GIN ! Wanna see pics of everybody with dirty hands on mothers day , eh ?

post #3 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Congrats on the new scoot! Looks pretty nice in the pics, have fun getting all the rough edges cleaned up.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Nice pic up. Congrats!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #5 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Congrats Gin You'll love it!! If you don't plan on a ton of interstate not that it hurts it all that much but going up 2 teeth in the rear makes 5th gear really usable and nice around town, something many on the chain gang forum believe BMW messed up on!! I have an electronic manual if you want pm me and I'll get you a copy mailed that way!! I believe the model you have is the easier one to for valve adjustments!!

Also I never looked at pictures of the older ones as mine was an 06 but the front fender looks modified from the one that was on mine is it supposed to be different? Here is a really bad pic of mine as a comparison.

Either way love the red and congrats again.

Oh invest in a torx screw driver set if you don't already own any not the changeable bits although you'll want those too.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0626081931a.jpg (148.3 KB, 19 views)

post #6 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

nice bike.... congrats to gin.... lookout starbuck's

post #7 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
Congrats Gin You'll love it!! If you don't plan on a ton of interstate not that it hurts it all that much but going up 2 teeth in the rear makes 5th gear really usable and nice around town, something many on the chain gang forum believe BMW messed up on!! I have an electronic manual if you want pm me and I'll get you a copy mailed that way!! I believe the model you have is the easier one to for valve adjustments!!

Also I never looked at pictures of the older ones as mine was an 06 but the front fender looks modified from the one that was on mine is it supposed to be different? Here is a really bad pic of mine as a comparison.

Either way love the red and congrats again.

Oh invest in a torx screw driver set if you don't already own any not the changeable bits although you'll want those too.....

Thanks AJ, the previous owner is going to send me a copy of his manual but I really appreciate the offer. I think they updated the body work in 2004, the 06 fender does look different. Gotta buy buy a torx set I guess, that or only work on it during business hours at my shop so I can borrow my mechanics. Woohoo, tool shopping!

What kind of tires did you have on your GS? Decent looking tread from what I can see in that pic.

I've been researching dual sport tires tonight. She wants to be able to ride on gravel and dirt roads but still have good street performance. Has Metzler Tourance OEM tires on it now, obviously they last a long time, good street reviews but poor for anything other than paved roads. Thinking of trying Mefo Explorers, German made and sounds like a good all purpose tire, people report 10,000 miles out of them, work well on wet and dry pavement and competent on gravel and dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MefoTire.jpg (68.8 KB, 6 views)

post #8 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

I actually liked the off road capabilities of the bridgestone trailwings that were on mine tw152 and tw101 comes to mind but they become noisy because of cupping, but they do pretty well in the dirt as much as I done, also other than the noise I never had a problem with them on the road. Not the best rated by no means but i think they were better than the 919 stock tires! I kept thinking i would change but got to reading and there were just no other tire that had the off road capability that they did and still retain mostly on-road ability at least that's what i got out of a lot of reading on the chain gangs site. I got about 7k out of the first set and replaced the rear to match the front at 6k just before selling. That tire there looks pretty mean would be interested if you get it what you think.

post #9 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Congrats on the new bike Gin. Hope it gives you many miles of enjoyment

post #10 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Looks like a pretty good fit! Congratulations Gin on the new bike and Congratulations Scott on the new tinker project... we all need something to tinker with!

post #11 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I actually liked the off road capabilities of the bridgestone trailwings that were on mine tw152 and tw101 comes to mind but they become noisy because of cupping, but they do pretty well in the dirt as much as I done, also other than the noise I never had a problem with them on the road. Not the best rated by no means but i think they were better than the 919 stock tires! I kept thinking i would change but got to reading and there were just no other tire that had the off road capability that they did and still retain mostly on-road ability at least that's what i got out of a lot of reading on the chain gangs site. I got about 7k out of the first set and replaced the rear to match the front at 6k just before selling. That tire there looks pretty mean would be interested if you get it what you think.
The trailwings have the nickname of "deathwings" on ADVrider, evidently many do not share your favorable impression of them. After reading hundreds of reviews on dozens of different tires I think we're going to try the Mefo Explorers, I'll post up some impressions once they're mounted up.

post #12 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

yeah I've heard and read the death wing name before but I've had good luck with them, but they have there problems! Really noisy!! I never heard why they call them death wings though, prolly didn't read enough. Don't think that I loved them but they did work well for what they were in mud and dirt. When it comes to tires I kinda ignore what everyone thinks and says and try them for myself, like oil everybody has there brand they like but i cant wait too see what your initial impression is on the mefo's

post #13 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, off to the garage, I'll post up some more pics tonight as I kick back with a cold beer, tired and happy after a day spent playing with motorcycles.

post #14 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great looking back! Looking forward to seeing what adventures you guys get into!

post #15 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Congratulations Gin!!!
I wish you lived closer so that when I get mine, we could ride together!
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

post #16 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Congrats Gin! That's a very fine steed, enjoy! Given its height plan your stops early.

We enjoyed SF fireworks and I wished we would have ridden the 9er to avoid transit fees/delays. I mentioned next time we'll ride, and SO quickly commanded "on our own bikes!" Sounds like you both came to the same conclusion.

Enjoy!

post #17 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well I'm tired, sore and satisfied after a day's hard labor. We kicked butt today, Ginger got our yard whipped into shape and I cleaned out the garage and got it ready for summer. Finally had things in order and got started on the bike mid afternoon, gave it a good wash, wax, and degreasing. Didn't have time or energy left to start in on polishing aluminum and removing rusted fasteners, but extremely pleased with the results so far.

Here's some pics...

As purchased, then a couple of hours later after considerable elbow grease

Lots of soap, water and Simple Green

Used Mother's Back to Black on the faded black plastic, a few applications and lots of rubbing made a big difference.

Ordering tires tomorrow

Chain was nasty, Simple Green took care of most of it, had to break out the gasoline to get the sprocket cleaned up

Told Gin the neighbors must think we're wierd, posing motorcycles in our yard and driveway

Hornets didn't get any love today, their turn for spring cleanup later this week

Summer's here, garage is for bikes now, the car and truck get the driveway. Will bring the FJR home this week, selling Gin's Vulcan now that we have the GS, it'll be a 4 bike garage instead of a 2 car

Day well spent, first summer afternoon spent working outside on yard and bikes, gotta love it sore back or not!

post #18 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
pew pew pew

Wheres that fancy FJR??

post #19 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob0 View Post
Wheres that fancy FJR??
Sitting in my business shop with the Vulcan. I'll bring it home this week, space reserved next to the 919.

post #20 of 57 Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Congrats on the sharp looking bike.

post #21 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Great job cleaning up the Beemer. Very Nice bike indeed.

post #22 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

wow... can i ship my poor neglected *(only washing neglected.. i change oil ocd style) 919 up there so you can clean it up... mine was'nt that clean when i sold it to myself...

post #23 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
wow... can i ship my poor neglected *(only washing neglected.. i change oil ocd style) 919 up there so you can clean it up... mine was'nt that clean when i sold it to myself...
It better by shiny damnit the way my poor aching body feels today!

post #24 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Nice !!

As for your tires, you wanting something more street or dirt ? Id yo uwant a good 50/50 take a look @ the Maxxis C6006 - great tire, handle wel land are cheap ! Like 100-120 for the set ! I got a little over 3k on a set and its close to a full on knobbie, but ,it handles very well -

post #25 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Nice !!

As for your tires, you wanting something more street or dirt ? Id yo uwant a good 50/50 take a look @ the Maxxis C6006 - great tire, handle wel land are cheap ! Like 100-120 for the set ! I got a little over 3k on a set and its close to a full on knobbie, but ,it handles very well -
Thanks, I'll check those out, we're looking for a 50-50, do everything type tire.

post #26 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Thanks, I'll check those out, we're looking for a 50-50, do everything type tire that will look good in starbucks parking lot...
i fixed that for ya..

post #27 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
i fixed that for ya..
You better be careful, she's a tough girl Brian! May not be 6' tall like yours, but I've seen her put a hell of a dent in a car that tried to run us over in a crosswalk with her boot!

post #28 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
You better be careful, she's a tough girl Brian! May not be 6' tall like yours, but I've seen her put a hell of a dent in a car that tried to run us over in a crosswalk with her boot!
my kinda girl....

i am gonna sneak up there one day with no warning and pop in your bar... see if you can pick me out the crowd..... lol

post #29 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Congrats, Scott. That's a beautiful bike. It looks like it's in great condition.
post #30 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

sweet it cleaned up great!!

post #31 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Nice ADV bike dude, looks like you found a winner. Those panniers will be nice man you guys can go out and get lost for awhile.....

post #32 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Nice scoot.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #33 of 57 Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

looks like fun

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #34 of 57 Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Ordered Koubalinks yesterday, will lower the rear 1", which along with raising the forks the same amount should be perfect for her. Local dealers were closed yesterday, want to check around on tire prices locally before I order in a set. Appears that Twisted Throttle is the only place you can buy the Mefo Explorer tires and like most other goodies on that site they're expensive.

post #35 of 57 Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Don't say I didn't warn you....

Touratech.com

post #36 of 57 Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Don't say I didn't warn you....

Touratech.com
Nice site, that should siphon off some funds!

post #37 of 57 Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I received the Kouba links this week, made by Norm Kouba in South Dakota who is the preeminent lowering expert for dual sports: Kouba Link

I bought the 1" lowering links, very nicely made. Will also lower the front forks an equal amount, should be just right for Gin's height, or lack thereof. Going to dive into the installation this afternoon after I get the Hornets ready for tomorrow's big ride with Shaughnessy and the gang.

Went ahead and ordered the Mefo Explorer tires from Twisted Throttle, they've shipped and should arrive this week. The little GS should be road ready by next weekend!

post #38 of 57 Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
my kinda girl....

i am gonna sneak up there one day with no warning and pop in your bar... see if you can pick me out the crowd..... lol

Where's Waldo!

Professional
post #39 of 57 Old 05-16-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Well I didn't get to the GS today, spent the afternoon getting the 599 and 919 ready for tomorrow's ride. Washed, waxed, cleaned and lubed chains, aired up tires, they're both standing tall and ready to roll!

Gotta head to my office now to meet up with Dr. J and his buddy who is buying the BSA. Looks like I'll have to dive into the GS tomorrow if I don't get to it later this evening.

post #40 of 57 Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Rear tire is on backorder, won't be in until 2nd week of June. Kind of put the GS on hold while I work on the other bikes, worried about her riding it much with dry rotted tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode