Evolved KLR - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Evolved KLR

I added Moose footpegs w/ a 1/2" offset. Mucho better platform when standing and offroad. It adds more buzz, but not enough to be bothersome. If my feet ever fall off of these though, it's gonna look like a bear chewed through my leg.

Raised ridge(no pun intended) for foot placement.

The 1/2" offset is perfect for fitting the boot to the shifter. It would be far too tight if I had regular pegs.

I also replaced the handlebars with a set from Pro Taper. I went with the SE ATV Hi bars. They are nearly perfect and way stronger than the mild steel used for the stock bars. It added vibes from the loss of my bar end weights, but I am hoping to fix that by adding my Moose handguards currently on the DR-Z. Between the weight of those combined with a fixed point for the barends, it should help alot. They are about an inch more narrow than the stockers which I like much better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Funny you should make reference about your pegs, I have always called them bear traps! A little surprised that the Pro Tapers increased the buzz. Usually a thick wall aluminum bar is better than the stock steel one.

Bike is lookin' good!

post #3 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Looks nice Ridge!

post #4 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Funny you should make reference about your pegs, I have always called them bear traps! A little surprised that the Pro Tapers increased the buzz. Usually a thick wall aluminum bar is better than the stock steel one.

Bike is lookin' good!
I think its solely from being mounted on a thumper. If mounted on anything else, you are probably right.

She's at the dealership for first service today. I'm hoping weather will cooperate and I'll be making a road trip to West Virginia this weekend to watch my cousin and some friends race at Summit Point.

post #5 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Fingers are crossed, good weekend weather coming your way. Let us know how the KLR performs.

Safe ride!

post #6 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Looking good, Have a good road trip on it!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #7 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Looks good ridge, have a safe trip, sounds fun.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 191 Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

It's great seeing your upgrades. Keep it up.

Food for thought:

I bought the puncture proof shift lever from DS. It was in the mid 20 buck range and it incorporates a little welded on paddle to keep from poking through the engine case when you fall on the left side. It works. I'm on my second one as my first deformed up a bunch but only left a bitty scratch in the motor cover when I became one with a creek at a slippery stream crossing.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 191 Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Topcase added for daily commute and anything that needs to be protected from the elements on long rides. It is a Pelican 1500 and fits the rear rack nearly perfectly in all dimensions. It is large enough on the inside to hold a standard laptop if need be and I can fit quite a bit of stuff in there on any given day. Not as spacious as my Givi on the Strom, but I also don't look like a bumblebee coming down the road either. I may change it later for something that is quick detachable, but it suits me for now.

I removed the rear rack and measured to drill the holes using two of the existing threaded holes in the handgrabs so noone can just unscrew it and take off with it. I also sanded the raised ridges on the case to help it fit flush on the rear rack. The hinges are spaced perfectly to allow the stock toolkit to be accessed with the case on the bike all the time. Total money invested $125 for the case and $6.99 for anti-theft license plate screws at Autozone (The threads are perfect for the rear racks existing threads.)

Toolkit Access:

Side view:

Inside mounting points:

Underneath the rear rack:

post #10 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

James - regarding the bar vibrations. I've looked at the Bar Snake but suspect you could have the same affect by buying a length of tubing, loosely filling it with bb's or shot pellet, cap the ends with caulk, let it dry and install it the same way as the Bar Snake is installed. Damping the resonation is the goal.

post #11 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I saw the bar snake and you are spot on with the fix. I was really hoping the fixed handguards would be the cure. Alas, I haven't found a set that will attach with the Pro-Taper Hi bars yet. Every set I try needs to attach to the bars exactly where the crossbar/pad is. It can't be removed w/out cutting it off and I'm worried if I remove it, I lose lateral strength in a tipover.

I tried the Moose set from the DR-Z and a set of Cycra Pro Guard w/ the solution mount. Next up is a set of Acerbis.

post #12 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

ugh.

I wouldn't cut them either. Was there a specific model number on the bars you got? I'll research to find the measurements on them to can compare with other bars.

post #13 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

They are the Pro Taper ATV Hi SE Part number:02-5257

post #14 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Looks like the Acerbis Rally Pro and Maier ATV Woods Pro are the two that fit best on ATV High. Don't know why I didn't find this out earlier. Could have saved about $150 in parts and time.

Quote:
I just installed a set of Acerbis Rally Pros with optional spoilers. I put these on Pro Taper SE ATV Hi Bars. While they fit on nicely (no bending required), and look great, I was dissapointed by the amount of wind coverage - even with the spoilers. The sides are protected well from the brush, but the front of the hand is exposed to the wind more than I expected. If you do a lot of highway miles, I would go with something with larger plastic. The Acerbis are also pricey.
http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1325.html

Maier ATV Woods Pro

post #15 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
and $6.99 for anti-theft license plate screws at Autozone
You mean Anti-theft for anyone without $7 and access to an Auto Zone

post #16 of 191 Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
You mean Anti-theft for anyone without $7 and access to an Auto Zone
Yeah, those. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone mmmk?

post #17 of 191 Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Update. I have the Acerbis Pro Rally and should be installing them this weekend. Metzeler Karoo's are to be installed soon and I am changing the plastics from red to black. I already have the front fender installed and the rear will be done tomorrow. Its looking much mo' better now. Pics to come soon.

post #18 of 191 Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

James....I got to suggest a few things.

1st Break the bike in/use it hard. Get it used to running up near redline.

2nd If it will be used for any distance running at all, drop a couple teeth on the rear. I say this because if you got to pull super slab for any distance, the bike and you will be much more comfortable pulling 80 MPH and more.

Yesterday when I went for a fun run in the rain, I decided that with a couple more mods I could take this bike anywhere, at any distance. It's that capable, and I'm that old and senile.

General George S. Patton
post #19 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

i know of a couple guys down here in Atlanta that took the old body from here to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and back. 12,000 miles!!! yeah, they'll do it!

post #20 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

hoping it comes together and I can get mine in a few weeks.

post #21 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the tips Dave. She did get broke in more aggressively than any other bike I have ridden. Although I changed the oil more frequently to offset that. I waited for total warm-up then rode as I normally would to seat everything nice and snug.

I don't know about changing the gearing too much, as I'm afraid of losing that low-end grunt needed when off-road.

Here are the latest round of pics from the transformation. Acerbis handguards installed, front black fender and rear black fender installed, Happy Trails Engine guard installed.

post #22 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Looking good James Question though, have you put that thing on the scales yet? Starting to look a lil heavy.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #23 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thats a good looking machine you got there Ridge, the black fenders are a nice touch.

post #24 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Nice additions James. You are now ready to take on the back roads of Mexico.

post #25 of 191 Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Thanks everyone. She is a bit heavy, but lighter than the Strom and definately lighter than anything else I've owned for the street.

Here are a few from the riders seat w/ the new handguards.

I did have to cut the end of the clutch lever to fit it in the handguard. Minimal loss for added protection in a fall off-road or miles from any help.

post #26 of 191 Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

The Kwak, unlike other singles of this size has the ability to knock down roads all day long at speeds greater than what it is geared for all the while doing it smoother than anyone else. If you could put fourth up near to where fifth is, fifth can then become somewhat of an overdrive. I think that the slow speed trail aspects are gonna suffer a bit, but in my case, I'd take the taller first as I'm doing fire road stuff and not forest trail. When I rode out in the desert, the expanse was incredible. Getting down a 15 mile arrow straight piece of desert two lane became a max speed imperative, all the while sucking on icewater from a platypus tank bag. I can imagine packing up the bike with goodies and getting out on the slab and wanting to put miles behind and even eeking out an extra 10mph on top would be super fine. I need to find the time and material to change over the sprocket so that I can do the evaluation and report back here.

General George S. Patton
post #27 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Please do, I do enough superslab to afford giving up some low grunt.

post #28 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Please do, I do enough superslab to afford giving up some low grunt.
I found a 16 tooth counter sprocket at Dual Star (stock is 15)

I think I'll get it on order. Hopefully there is enough slop in my chain that I don't need a new one.

General George S. Patton
post #29 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I've found that on the older KLR, one could easily do a "field change" of sprockets with minimal fuss and tools. The new model carries a new design change in the front sprocket and looks to be more complicated if one were inclined to carry an extra sprocket if the road conditions were to change.

post #30 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I don't mean to have one along to change it. I mean to change it and ride like another 11,000 miles as I've already done. That's enough for a big eval, with a number of little evals along the way. I'm calling the KWAK shop b4 ordering in case they have a 16t just sitting on the shelf.

General George S. Patton
post #31 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Cool, I was just making an observation between the two. I had noticed it when 2ohno bought his '06.

post #32 of 191 Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I called the Kwak shop and made it as clear as a mountain spring that I was looking for a 16t and that 15t was stock. Dude said he would get back to me. I got a rambling phone message that they really don't offer one in 16t, only 14t and "was I sure" I didn't want one in 14 as it would give me more grunt and "that's probably what I wanted in the first place"

Pay minimum wage and you get minimum help.

Calling DualStar mañana.

General George S. Patton
post #33 of 191 Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

LOL!
"You don't want coffee, here have some of this fresh squeezed urine."

post #34 of 191 Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I'm finding the same thinking rationale while reorganizing inventory for our local shop. They don't apply themselves like they should.

post #35 of 191 Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

16t will be here next week......DualStar.

General George S. Patton
post #36 of 191 Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I calculate that the increase in top end will be 7 miles per hour.
I'm going to run tests b4 and after of top speed in each gear at redline with correlation points in between illustrating speedo error based on stationary radar readings. Who needs a magazine to do our testing? We don't.

General George S. Patton
post #37 of 191 Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 

One of my favorites was when I went into the local Honda shop and asked the lady at the parts desk to pull up some parts for my "05 Honda 919". After asking me the name two more times, she asks, "are you sure its a Honda?". Me and my friend both got a good laugh out of it.

post #38 of 191 Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I took some speed runs against the stationary radar yesterday. Got a bunch of data points.
The sprocket just came in. I'm getting hammered on by many people here, so I don't know when I can do the swap, but I am anxious.

General George S. Patton
post #39 of 191 Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

I'm curious to hear your results. My Karoos are waiting on the HD tubes so I can be a little more confident off-raod.

post #40 of 191 Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

James, you keeping an eye on my bike?
I like things shiny and clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode