Engagement present / New toy(s) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Engagement present / New toy(s)

When my fiance Brooke and I were talking about getting married I told her (half joking) that if she got an engagement ring, I should get an engagement dirt bike. She agreed, and said "Why do girls get a ring and guys get nothing? If you find a dirt bike I'll get it for you."

So I found a 2007 CRF 450X with only 43 miles on it, and he got it for me. The guy had just bought it but needed to sell it because as he put it "My wife likes to shop and I need money to pay off the bills"...

It's stock except for a TrailTech Vapor computer and a Rekluse Z-Start clutch.

A couple days later I found a really nice 2006 CRF 450X with a couple thousand $$ in upgrades, so I had to get that one too.

The mods:

Moto Pro suspension
Fluidyne radiators
Newer tires
Works Connection radiator braces
Hyde Racing skid plate
JD Jet kit
Boyesen Quick Shot
Modified air box
TrailTech Endurance computer
Acerbis hand guards
New battery
Valves adjusted
Renthal bars
Extra black plastic body and fender kit

Both bikes are in brand new condition.

Now the fun begins... I'm going to swap all the upgraded parts onto the 2007.
I'm super excited to find bikes in such amazing condition. It's time to go get muddy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Congrats ... sweet bikes! Lucky man.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

That is awesome!!! I had a similar engagement story, but not as good as that.

You've got a keeper (the fiance that supports the habit), I hope it stays that way for ya man! Congrats!!!

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Some guys have all the luck...She's probably a really good cook,doesn't mind if you do things with the boys, makes good money and is good looking too!!! I can't complain i have one of those too. well not 2 new dirt bikes but everything else. i guess the 9er and the harley and the 4wheeler will have to do. HAHAHA!!!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

You have a keeper...

post #6 of 16 Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Supermoto supermoto supermoto supermoto plate one !

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
+1, and congrats on the new toys.

post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

congrats... on the bikes... and the soon to be wifey... she sounds like a good one!!

now tell her you need a desmodecimi and if she gets you one... wow you found the greatest woman alive....

post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd31goalie View Post
Some guys have all the luck...She's probably a really good cook,doesn't mind if you do things with the boys, makes good money and is good looking too!!!
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. The best part is that she always offers a helping hand when I'm working on my 9er project and is always encouraging me to do more to it. It helps that all the guys she grew up around - her dad, uncles, brother and his friends are all into fast cars, trucks & motorcycles, and they all fly airplanes and helicopters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
I sold my last dirt bike ('94 CR250) about 12 years ago, so I'm just excited to finally be back on a dirt bike! Supermoto will have to wait. Her brother has a Husqvarna SM510 and absolutely loves it. I don't approve of his squid moves on the streets - wheelies, stoppies, hanging the back end out around corners, but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
congrats... on the bikes... and the soon to be wifey... she sounds like a good one!!
now tell her you need a desmodecimi and if she gets you one... wow you found the greatest woman alive....
Not sure I could get her to spend that kind of cash, but she was super excited for me to finally get another dirt bike. She lived in SoCal for a while and loved riding at Dumont Dunes and Glamis. She plans to get a CRF 230F pretty soon so I can introduce her to woods riding.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Centurion

Can you still manual shift a Rekluse when you want or is it auto all the time?

post #11 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Heck ya...Awesome...My fiance has mentioned getting me something too...Hmmmm, we'll see, I got her a beautiful ring...(put it to ya this way, It appriased for $8100 when I insured it) and after going to the Auto show earlier this month, there's a brand new 6 Speed MazdaSpeed3 in the driveway that I got a deal on with my company...Hers mainly but I get to drive it when I want too...I took over the other car, 2005 Cobalt SS...Not sure what I'd want if the offer is still on the table.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #12 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Can you still manual shift a Rekluse when you want or is it auto all the time?
You still shift through the gears like normal, you just don't have a clutch lever. The transmission is still manual, only the clutch is automatic.
Start the bike, put it in gear and nothing happens, give it gas and the bike takes off. Leave it in gear and roll off the throttle and the bike slows down and comes to a stop but doesn't stall and die.

There is an optional perch adjuster that lets you adjust the engagement point on the fly, (and as far as I understand) you put the clutch lever back on and can override the auto feature of the clutch. I'm thinking about getting the perch adjuster, but I have no experience with it yet.

I've talked to some guys that use the Rekluse and they say they wouldn't ride without them. They say the more technical and more gnarly the terrain, the better the Rekluse works. I've only ridden it around the yard right after I bought it so it's all new to me still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Heck ya...Awesome...My fiance has mentioned getting me something too...Hmmmm, we'll see, I got her a beautiful ring...(put it to ya this way, It appriased for $8100 when I insured it) and after going to the Auto show earlier this month, there's a brand new 6 Speed MazdaSpeed3 in the driveway that I got a deal on with my company...Hers mainly but I get to drive it when I want too...I took over the other car, 2005 Cobalt SS...Not sure what I'd want if the offer is still on the table.
Those are nice little cars! I wouldn't mind ripping around in one of those!

post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post

Those are nice little cars! I wouldn't mind ripping around in one of those!
Yeah, I have to admit, I was a car guy first and been around fast cars and racing all my life so what ever we have, it's gotta handle good and go fast.

The Speed3 really impressed me for a car that weighs 4100lbs...263hp / 280ftlbs trq right outta the box...quick little car. Did a little research and with about $1500-$2000 in upgrades (front mount intercooler, boost controller, intake, exhaust...bumps it easily over 300 hp and bumps the torque up over 300 as well.

The SS currently has a Stage2 kit (higher lbhr injectors, smaller SC pulley, different PCM software) K&N Typhoon Intake, Hurst Short Shifter and some brake upgrades...gonna do some suspension upgrades soon and then probably leave it alone

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Centurion

Ya I knew you still had to shift, (its just like my Z50 & CT70) I should have said clutch instead. Thought it would be cool to have the auto clutch but still manual when you wanted somehow

post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Yeah, I have to admit, I was a car guy first and been around fast cars and racing all my life so what ever we have, it's gotta handle good and go fast.

The Speed3 really impressed me for a car that weighs 4100lbs...263hp / 280ftlbs trq right outta the box...quick little car. Did a little research and with about $1500-$2000 in upgrades (front mount intercooler, boost controller, intake, exhaust...bumps it easily over 300 hp and bumps the torque up over 300 as well.

The SS currently has a Stage2 kit (higher lbhr injectors, smaller SC pulley, different PCM software) K&N Typhoon Intake, Hurst Short Shifter and some brake upgrades...gonna do some suspension upgrades soon and then probably leave it alone
Those are pretty impressive numbers for that car!! That would be a little rocketship! The weight is surprising though. I never would have expected that little car to weigh so much. But I guess many cars are getting weighed down with all the luxury items packed in. With that much power, it's probably not an issue though.
When you get the suspension on there it's going to be extremely impressive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Ya I knew you still had to shift, (its just like my Z50 & CT70) I should have said clutch instead. Thought it would be cool to have the auto clutch but still manual when you wanted somehow
Here's some more info I found on the Rekluse and the perch adjuster. I'm going to get the perch adjuster and play around with it. http://crfsonly.com/reviews/rekluse/...-review.php#p6

post #16 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Yeah...A little on the heavy side but it is a 5 door hatch...Here's the link MazdaSpeed3

Actually it's the Cobalt that will be getting suspension upgrades...The Speed3 handles excellent, You'd think your driving a 2 door sports car and the braking is great as well.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode